Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I was born in England, have a British passport and have always been a British citizen but have lived in Spain for 17 years. I moved back to England to do A-Levels and by the time I start uni I'll have been living in the UK for 2 years, which I know is under the 3 year rule. However, I have a friend who was in the exact same situation as me 3 years ago and she says that because she is a UK national with a UK passport she was eligible for a maintenance loan, but I can't find anything online about it. She started her course September 2013.
    I know I'm eligible for tuition fee loans but am I eligible for a maintenance loan? Because I can't afford to go to uni without it
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi emmabrggs

    As you were previously living in the UK, you will be able to apply as a home student under previously having a "settled status" in the UK.

    Please note- If you hold a UK Passport or a UK Birth Certificate and have been living within the EEA/Switzerland, you must demonstrate that you have previously been 'settled' within the UK, gone to the EEA/Switzerland, and then returned to the UK. If you do not have 'settled' status within the UK you will be ineligible to receive student support as a 'Home' student, regardless if you hold a UK Passport or Birth Certificate.


University open days

  1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.