Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are we getting fatter? According to the media we are, yet it was the same media that accused us of becoming anorexic a couple years back. What changed?

To calculate BMI: http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmi-m.htm

Please keep in mind that Body mass index (BMI) is measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women. In which above average is deemed (unhealthy). This does not reflect the actual body shape, only how much mass constitutes your body.

Note: Anorexia is not a weight category but a psychological illness. It was added to the poll accidently and is too late to edit. Just replace Anorexic with 'significantly below average'

ReputationRep:
    I hope that wasn't because of my verbal outburst...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I hope that wasn't because of my verbal outburst...
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    There was a post on the original thread saying that babies are being born fatter because their parents are obese.

Now, my biology is a little hazy, but aren't a child's genes determined by the parents' which are the same from birth? So unless there is an obesity gene and its dominant so everyone will eventually be obese then this isn't true at all. If a person is born at a 'normal' size then becomes obese by eating too much and not exercising enough, does that mean their children will be obese at birth? I don't think so. The only way that child would be obese at birth would be due to the mother's diet during pregnancy, surely?

Saying that children are getting fatter is one thing, but saying babies are is another thing entirely.
    Babies cant be born obese I dont think, doesnt matter what their mothers weight is like. Having said that, britain is definately getting fatter. As some of you might know my part time job is a security guard. When youre standing at the front of the stage watching 10000 people come into wembley arena to see busted, youd be shocked to know almost ALL are fat/obese. Its rare to find someone who doesnt have a spare tyre or whatever...

ReputationRep:
    Re. the poll and BMI:

My height is 1.85m and my weight is 120kg, giving me a BMI of 35. Now apparently that's morbidly obese. Odd given that I look perfectly normal apart from maybe a little overweight but not spectacularly so. BMI doesn't take into account body type. From those figures you'd think I was a big lump of quivering lard but I'm far from it.
    i no what you mean. i did one of them, and the result seemed to say i was incredibly anorexic, which i no for a fact i am not!

ReputationRep:
    Re. the poll and BMI:

My height is 1.85m and my weight is 120kg, giving me a BMI of 35. Now apparently that's morbidly obese. Odd given that I look perfectly normal apart from maybe a little overweight but not spectacularly so. BMI doesn't take into account body type. From those figures you'd think I was a big lump of quivering lard but I'm far from it.
    obesity isnt necessarily a big fat balloon. The definition of obesity is primarily based on the bmi as its the most accurate method of calculating whether someone is obese or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    obesity isnt necessarily a big fat balloon. The definition of obesity is primarily based on the bmi as its the most accurate method of calculating whether someone is obese or not
    Its not though, its one of the most inaccuarte ones infact. Getting your bodyfat % from calipers are the most accruate way..

ReputationRep:
    Besides, anorexic is not a weight group, so really shouldn't be used on a classification system - it simply means "not eating," and is not related to a specific BMI.

ReputationRep:
    OK, here's a passage I got off http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043700.asp

Do fat parents usually produce fat children? Statistics say yes. Lean parents have only a seven percent chance of having an obese adolescent. If one parent is obese, there is a forty percent chance their child will be obese. If both parents are obese, the probability of the child's being obese may be as high as eighty percent. Genes may actually be a more powerful determinant of obesity than diet. Studies on adopted children show that these children's body weight tends to be more like their biological parents than their adopting ones. Studies of identical twins reared in different environments with different parental eating habits showed a tendency toward similar fatness or leanness. But, don't be too quick to blame your parents. Genes influence whether or not children or adults become fat, but diet and lifestyle, both of which are under your control, also play a role. It's what you do with the genes you inherit that determines whether you will wind up fat or lean.

ReputationRep:
    gimp checked my bmi and it was 21...shud be like 19 rite? im tryin 2 get it down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    gimp checked my bmi and it was 21...shud be like 19 rite? im tryin 2 get it down!
    21 is perfect actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    21 is perfect actually
    it cant be!! im trying 2 get it down! that things gtta be wrong

There was a post on the original thread saying that babies are being born fatter because their parents are obese.

Now, my biology is a little hazy, but aren't a child's genes determined by the parents' which are the same from birth? So unless there is an obesity gene and its dominant so everyone will eventually be obese then this isn't true at all. If a person is born at a 'normal' size then becomes obese by eating too much and not exercising enough, does that mean their children will be obese at birth? I don't think so. The only way that child would be obese at birth would be due to the mother's diet during pregnancy, surely?

Saying that children are getting fatter is one thing, but saying babies are is another thing entirely.
    there is more to whether a baby is born fatter than its mendelian genetics though - for example imprinting may play a role. Plus as you say the mother's diet plays an important role - not only in the nutrients supplied to the baby - but also e.g. in changing hormone levels which can affect the baby's growth.

As an example I believe women with gestational diabetes tend to give birth to heavier babies - obese people may be more likely to have borderline type 2 diabetes undiagnosed than thin people, so a similar effect might occur with their babies.

Although the genes could play a role in that perhaps in the past people with "obese genes" didn't get a chance to get obese because there was a lack of food, so now people have enough food, the "obese genes" are more visible, so could indeed be passed to children and would show themselves in babies.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    id say im average, but everyone hopes to think they are average rite?
    oh well you guys cant really tell so ull just have to trust me

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that being overweight is not fun. On the other hand, I would rather sit in the pub than do exercise and I would rather eat chocolate than lettuce (chocolate coated lettuce Mmmmm....)

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    id say im average, but everyone hopes to think they are average rite?
    oh well you guys cant really tell so ull just have to trust me
    oops i didnt see the link!!
    im 20.3, oops im below average! crap!

ReputationRep:
    I told you on the last thread that you are no nessescarily anorexic if you are below average weight, and beside if you are naturally thin it's better than having lots of weight on you and you are more likely to be healthy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm average, but i still feel uncomfortable with my weight, everytime i start to go on a diet i fall ill, maybe it's an omen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I told you on the last thread that you are no nessescarily anorexic if you are below average weight, and beside if you are naturally thin it's better than having lots of weight on you and you are more likely to be healthy.
    Yeah, anorexia is psychological, not a catagory on the BMI scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    yeah thats true, but its not necessarily that much healthier to be underweight than it is to be overweight

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.