The Student Room Group

Was this rape?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limpopo
Yes of course i can but we all l ive in the real world. The law, the black and white print in books is different to real world. Now im saying to all the ladies out there, do not go and get naked with some guy if thats not what you want because it could end badly for both parties.

So if you get raped in a shower, it was your fault because you got naked with some guy?

Also boys and girls,,do not get pished and go back to someones place when you suspect their might be a hint of passion in the air.

Dear men: stop trying to get women pissed because that's the only way you can have sex with them.

I have sat as a juror on a two week rape case and in the cold light of day it doesnt look good. Further on my case, the guy was found not guilty and the circs were a lot more ,err,,threatening than those described by the OP/

Well, if it was the usual twelve person jury, he was only acquitted if ten of the jurors wanted to acquit. Were you one of the 'no more than two' who wanted to convict?
Reply 41
Original post by Limpopo
Now im saying to all the ladies out there, do not go and get naked with some guy if thats not what you want because it could end badly for both parties.

Also boys and girls,,do not get pished and go back to someones place when you suspect their might be a hint of passion in the air.

Sorry but I can't let this go unchallenged. My girlfriend will soon graduate and become a top barrister and she knows the law. Rape is a man putting his penis in any orifice of a woman (or indeed a man) without that person's consent, she or he being capable of giving it (i.e. not a minor and not incapacitated, for instance through drink or drugs).

A girl who gets drunk should be able to expect a male friend to make sure she's OK. So yes, they might go back to his or her place. But that doesn't make it any less of an offence if he rapes her, in fact it's worse because he knows she can't consent and may have been part of making her drunk.

Equally a girl can begin kissing and cuddling with a guy or getting into foreplay or even sex then change her mind. If you're in the middle of having sex and the girl says 'Stop, take it out' that's what you should do. Keep going and you're a rapist.

As feminists have been saying for decades, no means no. Doesn't matter what a girl wears or does, she has an absolute right not to be raped.
Original post by unprinted
So if you get raped in a shower, it was your fault because you got naked with some guy?

Dear men: stop trying to get women pissed because that's the only way you can have sex with them.

Well, if it was the usual twelve person jury, he was only acquitted if ten of the jurors wanted to acquit. Were you one of the 'no more than two' who wanted to convict?

I am unclear as to what showering has to do with it. Most of us carry out our ablutions by ourselves. Occasionally couples in de facto or state recognised relationships may choose to shower together either for convenience or more mutual stimulation. They will no doubt choose to shower together because of the closeness it brings,not to save water. However if things develop either party can call a halt to the proceedings.

If women get pished then it is because they have chosen to consume alcohol. Why only yesterday i went out with some family friends for a nice meal at a popular restaurant. Everyone else had alcoholic drinks but because i rarely drink, i had table water instead. No one offered or tried to induce me to drink alcohol. Why? Well of course it was because my desire and personal choice not to consume alcohol.

Jury,,well you know these things start off seemingly very clear cut on day one but by the end of the case, things can look very different.
Original post by Anonymous
So on Saturday night, me and a few friends went out and got very very drunk, we finished up meeting some guys and one thing led to another and we finished up back at their house. I took my clothes off for the guy and we started playing around, I told him I didn't want to have sex without a condom, but he told me just try it you'll enjoy it more. we started having sex and enjoyed it at first but then I was finding it extremely painful and I was screaming out in pain, I told him 3 times to stop because he was hurting me and by this point I was crying, but he said you have to let me finish. I tried to push him off a bit but he kept going, I told him again to stop but he said I'll go gently and you'll like it but i was still in tears, I remained silent for a while as he continued, but later he said are you liking it and I felt I had to say yes,. When he finished I went to see my friend and sobbed telling her how much he'd hurt me, but I was wondering f this would count as rape seen as I had initially appeared to give consent and gave the impression of enjoying it, there were several times when we were having sex that he started biting me round my breasts and I tried to push him off but he kept going back.

I'm sorry that happend to you. I hope you are doing okay physically (cos of the pain you had) and emotionally. That was rape yes. As soon as you said no it became rape. You never have to pretend you enjoy it if you are unhappy and he should have respected your decision.

You have the option to see a doctor or the police and discuss the mater and you can report him if you want to. I suggest you go see somebody for emotional support even if you choose not to report him. You could call samaritans or 111 if you want to make it anonymous. (111 will ask for your details but you can refuse to give them and ask to remain anonymous)
Original post by Mark19
Sorry but I can't let this go unchallenged. My girlfriend will soon graduate and become a top barrister and she knows the law. Rape is a man putting his penis in any orifice of a woman (or indeed a man) without that person's consent, she or he being capable of giving it (i.e. not a minor and not incapacitated, for instance through drink or drugs).

Yes agreed,thats roughly what the law says. Its about insertion, consent and the free will/ability to consent

A girl who gets drunk should be able to expect a male friend to make sure she's OK. So yes, they might go back to his or her place. But that doesn't make it any less of an offence if he rapes her, in fact it's worse because he knows she can't consent and may have been part of making her drunk.

Agreed again..

Equally a girl can begin kissing and cuddling with a guy or getting into foreplay or even sex then change her mind. If you're in the middle of having sex and the girl says 'Stop, take it out' that's what you should do. Keep going and you're a rapist.

As feminists have been saying for decades, no means no. Doesn't matter what a girl wears or does, she has an absolute right not to be raped.

Agreed...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest