Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exponential of an upper triangular matrix is upper triangular? Or not? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why is it the case?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    where are the purists when you want them ?

surely you can use the definition of matrix multiplication to show that the product of two upper triangular matrices is upper triangular. Thus by induction any power, thus by definition the exponential.

Come to think of it, can you find an expression for the numbers along the leading diagonal of such a exponential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    where are the purists when you want them ?
    Getting our beauty sleep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Come to think of it, can you find an expression for the numbers along the leading diagonal of such a exponential?
    Yes, if you square an (upper/lower) triangular matrix, the elements on the leading diagonal are the squares of the elements on the leading diagonal of the original matrix. And so on...So the elements on the leading diagonal of the exponential of a triangular matrix are the exponentials of the elements on the leading diagonal of the original matrix.

It may be worth pointing out an examiners' favourite here: If A is an upper triangular matrix such that A = I + B, with B strictly upper triangular, then I and B commute and \exp(A) = \exp(I+B) = \exp(I) \exp(B). You then notice that \exp(B) is especially easy to compute...

(Original post by Gregorius)
    Yes, if you square an (upper/lower) triangular matrix, the elements on the leading diagonal are the squares of the elements on the leading diagonal of the original matrix. And so on...So the elements on the leading diagonal of the exponential of a triangular matrix are the exponentials of the elements on the leading diagonal of the original matrix.

It may be worth pointing out an examiners' favourite here: If A is an upper triangular matrix such that A = I + B, with B strictly upper triangular, then I and B commute and \exp(A) = \exp(I+B) = \exp(I) \exp(B). You then notice that \exp(B) is especially easy to compute...
    Nicey. Is exp(B) especially easy to compute because for n by n, only n - 2 matrix multiplications are needed to compute exp(B), the sum is finite?

ReputationRep:
    Nicey. Is exp(B) especially easy to compute because for n by n, only n - 2 matrix multiplications are needed to compute exp(B), the sum is finite?
    It's easy because the matrix B is nilpotent - that is, there is an n such that B^n = 0, so the series for \exp(B) is finite.

When you multiply a strictly upper triangular matrix by itself, the non-zero entries shift one up and to the right, further from the leading diagonal.

(Original post by Gregorius)
    It's easy because the matrix B is nilpotent - that is, there is an n such that B^n = 0, so the series for \exp(B) is finite.

When you multiply a strictly upper triangular matrix by itself, the non-zero entries shift one up and to the right, further from the leading diagonal.
    Yep, and I suppose the same trick can be used if we let A = mI + B.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and I suppose the same trick can be used if we let A = mI + B.
    Yup.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.