Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can video games contribute as military training? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A debate topic that was brought up in class a few months back - I came across my memo recording of it and wondered what people on TSR thought:

Arma, Battlefield, Flashpoint, Call of Duty (to a lesser extent), etc:

Do you think that someone who often plays these video games will have an advantage as a soldier over someone who hasn't (with real military training not considered)?

ie, do you think that video games can be a benefit, detriment, or have no effect on somebody's combat ability in the real world?

Discuss.

My two cents
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Personally, I played a lot of FPS games, and the first time I went on a shooting range, I had a decent working knowledge of operating the guns I was given - for example, the differences between grip mag releases vs the guard mag releases, single action/double action, calibre vs grain etc. But at the same time, I think that while many games can contribute towards a good working knowledge of how to operate firearms, they act negatively towards how one should act in a combat situation - especially from the "spray and pray" arcade games like Call of Duty. And we all never know how we'll react when put in a violent situation like that unless we've been in it - one reason that a lot of Army training circles around desensitisation. I was shot at while on a tour in the middle east and I just sort of froze. Didn't take cover or look for a shooter or even think what would be the best thing - I just sort of panicked and froze in place. So psychologically, I don't think a game can add much. Practically, I think it can be quite helpful. But what good is one without the other?

ReputationRep:
    yes - i got 10th prestige level 55 on cod4:mw and now I am ready for combat I can no scope in real life also am true badman warrrior.

dont believe me, ask my mum.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no.

ReputationRep:
    yeah and If I play enough fifa then Real Madrid will sign me up

ReputationRep:
    I think it would produce reckless soldiers who'd get shot within 5 minutes of reaching the front lines. You can't just absorb bullets in real life... one and you're down.

ReputationRep:
    Only teaching theory such as formation and tactical thinking.

But when the **** really hits the fan and bullets start flying, instinct is the main controller. That is why training needs to be realistic, then it will become instinct.

That's what my RSM (WO2) said about training. He has been to Bosnia, Ireland and Iraq. I assume he knows what he is talking about. Even though i'm just a JNCO Staff sergeant, from training I have done I can see what he means.

All the first aid training on how to apply bandages doesn't prepare you for the panic and shock of the real thing. On one of our Night Exes a cadet managed to slice open his wrist on barbed wire (Lots and lots of bright red blood). Everyone started panicking and forgetting how to properly do first aid. Eventually had to run out to them because they were making no sense on the radio. The cadet was fine and just had a scar btw.

ReputationRep:
    Well if thats the case then I must be amazing in a chopper gunner

ReputationRep:
    Lmao no.

The odd realistic animation can sure teach you how to reload a gun, perhaps how to hold one etc.

But anything else no. You play these games knowing you'll die and respawn, 1 bullet damage in these games is nothing. Irl 1 bullet will most likely kill. In fact, I bet those who've played it have totally unrealistic expectations thinking they'll run around with M240B's ****ing people up, whereas irl that gun is so heavy you see soldiers struggling to carry it and resting every minute or something.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it can. Not traditional COD though.

It doesn't physically train you for reflexes and real life situations, so you won't become a more skilled soldier with a videogame controller and COD.

HOWEVER
    The military have already been using shooters to make soldiers hardwired into being able to kill an enemy, so it can help get you into instinctively killing enemies, and always be combat ready and reflexively protect yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. US actually makes some new recruits play video games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    Well if thats the case then I must be amazing in a chopper gunner
    and i must be amazing at killing papal guards at the Vatican

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigggered)
    and i must be amazing at killing papal guards at the Vatican
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1DvMkh9u02P

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure playing half life 2 hasn't made even a bit more qualified to handle a rocket launcher...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatImposter)
    Pretty sure playing half life 2 hasn't made even a bit more qualified to handle a rocket launcher...
    Sims 3 makes you more qualified to handle those catfishes tho
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, the only thing on the list that gets anywhere near to readiness for soldiering would be ARMA as a MMS, but on the whole they teach you exactly how not to soldier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Sims 3 makes you more qualified to handle those catfishes tho
    LOOOOOOL.

"nicki wtf?"

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOOOL.

"nicki wtf?"
    Your dp still cracks me up :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    The clue is in the name - games prioritise entertainment over realism. Proper simulators are certainly useful for things like flight and operating weapons systems. As for infantry combat I don't really know, but the US Army put a lot of money into a much more realistic sim. I think it was called America's Army, I don't know if it's still going.

In many ways I suspect the biggest obstacle to games being useful combat simulators is the lack of any real command structure.

(Original post by Barney6262)
    Even though i'm just a JNCO Staff sergeant, from training I have done I can see what he means.
    You must be a space cadet if you think a staffy is a JNCO... In which case call yourself a cadet staff sergeant, because you certainly aren't a real one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Your dp still cracks me up :rofl:
    Please enjoy this meme I made because I have no life
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Please enjoy this meme I made because I have no life
    Ngl I lol'ed xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.