Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can video games contribute as military training? Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmettam)
    Yes definitely playing games has been proven to increase your reaction time and sharpen your reflexes and it teaches you about operating weapons and some games even help with other things like stealth and focus which are very helpful in the battlefield
    reflexes, yes, but I do not remember ever playing a game that taught mew about weapons maintenance, or even correct operation, for the most part they seem to tell me to point my gun towards the enemy and run at them holding down the trigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    reflexes, yes, but I do not remember ever playing a game that taught mew about weapons maintenance, or even correct operation, for the most part they seem to tell me to point my gun towards the enemy and run at them holding down the trigger.
    Nor movement, concealment, digging in... And sitting on a sofa scoffing crisps is hardly preparing you for 12 hours of sprints...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Nor movement, concealment, digging in... And sitting on a sofa scoffing crisps is hardly preparing you for 12 hours of sprints...
    Indeed, and the stealth element is largely "follow the npc and hide behind a tree"
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    We have the advantage of having a smaller, tighter knit, and better (historically) established army/navy, and a societal history/tradition of better discipline/natural predisposition toward hierarchy and related class structures. We also have the advantage of not being expected to play 'World Police' in the modern era. It's unsurprising, then, that our armed forces are generally viewed as being more professional + ours are arguably the most professional/effective in the world so to say the US isn't quite up to the same standard isn't necessarily a damning indictment. Some US army personnel are absolute cowboys, for sure, but I have it on good information that many are pretty decent soldiers, with good fighting spirit
    In the first Gulf War more Brits were killed by Yanks than by Iraqis. THAT is a damning statement. They have fighting spirit sure, but for their size they are crap.

ReputationRep:
    I beat Call of Duty World at War on veteran and on a good day can be scarily accurate with the snipers in multiplayer
    IRL I would probs be in the bottom 0.1% or so in terms of soldiering ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I remember watching on TV Colin Mcrae play a gamer at his own game. He lost.
    lol some games are unrealistic but they are becoming more realistic now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    In the first Gulf War more Brits were killed by Yanks than by Iraqis. THAT is a damning statement
    Allied campaigns always result in blue on blue, but they did have a lot to learn in that conflict, for sure. Fair to say they've botched many operations over the past century but they do usually learn from their mistakes and innovate better ways of executing battle plans

They have fighting spirit sure, but for their size they are crap
    I dunno man, they were pretty potent in WWII, both gulf wars and Afghanistan. Their power, and technological, capabilities are still right up there
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Allied campaigns always result in blue on blue, but they did have a lot to learn in that conflict, for sure. Fair to say they've botched many operations over the past century but they do usually learn from their mistakes and innovate better ways of executing battle plans
    True, but that much blue on blue is too much

I dunno man, they were pretty potent in WWII, both gulf wars and Afghanistan. Their power, and technological, capabilities are still right up there
    I never said they weren't - but considering their size and the fact we help with their training, they should be at a better standard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    True, but that much blue on blue is too much

I never said they weren't - but considering their size and the fact we help with their training, they should be at a better standard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's extremely difficult to compare the overall and operational effectiveness of a military, at least from the outside as an observer.

We have think tanks that are often composed of retired members that do this sort of thing, and even they don't often compare military powers like this, analyse and evaluate maybe, but to outright compare?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I think it's extremely difficult to compare the overall and operational effectiveness of a military, at least from the outside as an observer.

We have think tanks that are often composed of retired members that do this sort of thing, and even they don't often compare military powers like this, analyse and evaluate maybe, but to outright compare?
    True, but there's some obvious points sometimes

ReputationRep:
    I've got a 4KD on CoD. I don't think I'd be able to even load a gun in real life.
    Does that answer your question?

ReputationRep:
    In the first Gulf War more Brits were killed by Yanks than by Iraqis. THAT is a damning statement. They have fighting spirit sure, but for their size they are crap.
    It's certainly damning for the Iraqis.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    It's certainly damning for the Iraqis.
    Let's be fair to the Iraqis though - they just didn't have the equipment even if they had known how to use it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    To be fair, they can teach about concealment, as long as your opponent doesn't have an aimbot or wallhack. Sniping is so more more satisfying when done properly. Of course everyone then complains about you "camping". Well yes, that would be the point!

It definitely doesn't teach about weapons though. I have a manual for that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.