The Student Room Group

Asurat's road to A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I work slow as hell as I'm not too smart so need to magic more time from now until exams. As of an hour ago I've stopped mashing every single question in an exercise as I really don't have time especially if I'm repeating exercises or I have an understanding. That's all folks.
Reply 21
Half-term's over and I did about 1/2 of the work I was planning on doing. I think I did on average about 5 hours a day and everything I ticked off I feel I'm solid on. Saturday I slept in, played rugby (and was terrible) then I went out. Consequently Sunday was a bit of a heavy morning so I only got about 3 hours of work done. Didn't really feel it was worth sharing so I didn't post anything. Once I get everything ticked off I can actually start revising, hopefully this should be by next Sunday.
Since my last update, I got an offer from Bath for bsc Mathematics (woop woop) and I completed a remock for G484 which I reckon I probably did better than last time.
In a fortnight's time, I have my M2 mock exam which I'm going to try and force an A* in, so I have the next few days to round off M2 and then I'm going to do as many papers as possible from now until then.
Today I'm going to finish off all of my classwork and then get some chapter 2 M2 in as I'm pretty poor at that, after I've done the review exercise for chapter 2, I plan on doing the final exercise of chapter 3. From then I want to get the review/mixed exercises (whatever they are) done by the end of the week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
I've just completed my first M2 paper (solomon paper A) and I got 64/75 which I'm happy with as a start.
I could answer every question, almost every mark that I lost was because I made mistakes which were arithmetic errors and a calculator input error at the end. I didn't sit the paper in exam conditions (so I did other stuff during the time) but even so I was still in good time, even if it did mess up my accuracy a lil. Really I want to be getting max marks regardless of how I sit the paper, so improvement is still needed.
Overall I lost 3/4 marks due to not knowing the answer/knowledge gaps
There were some things that I did get wrong which need to be rectified:

I messed up the principle conservation of momentum- I removed negativity indicating velocity opposite in direction. The principle of conservation of momentum is something like "in a system in the absence of external forces momentum is conserved in all directions" (or at least that's how I remember it), in all directions caused me to drop a negative sign and two marks. I know better but this error can't be repeated.
"How can this be modelled?" questions- When asked "how can we model this situation", ladders are "uniform rods", masses and people are particles, and projectiles are particles moving freely under gravity. (I got the first two correct though)

Since my last update
-I've started going to D2 lessons again and I am not enjoying it, I also missed 4 chapters worth of lessons (lol), but I'm familiar with the content and am moving at a faster rate than the rest of the class, so I'm going to go ham and catch up whilst they're finishing things up.
-I've also had contact with Bristol University as to whether I can switch courses to Maths w/ econ, they said "reply to this e-mail wishing to switch courses and maybe" (I paraphrase). If LSE reject me I will do so, if not I'll firm LSE and insurance Bristol for just Mathematics as the grades go up if I do maths w/ econ.
-I also had parents evening and had to listen to how bad most of my trackings are, as did my mum. They all seemed to have faith in me though and I promised that I will continue working hard. I even said "Don't worry, I've got this :wink:" to my maths teachers and I'm still cringing at myself 4 days later.

I'm gonna finish up the day with Core 4 integration, FP3 vectors and then as much FP3 matrices as I can get done. I've been working dilligently since I turned 18 earlier this month and I'm going to continue to do so.
Reply 24
Today I sat my M2 mock and it was probably a B/C as I didn't finish. I feel really comfortable with the content and reckon that most of my solutions were correct, but I fear that I messed up my physics on a projectile motion question. Timing was an early issue for me in AS so I'm not too worried, it means that I just have to put in the work now.

Now that I've sat my last mock exam, it's time for me to start revising, so I'm going to start numbering the weeks. This month I'm going to mash as many G482, G483, Core 3, M1 and M2 papers as possible, as well as try and jam as much supplementary FP2 and FP3 as I can before I start papers for that. I'm going to try and shoot for two a day as a target.

Targets for the end of the month:

Completion of papers Jan 2008-Jun 2012 for:
[ ] M1[ ] M2[ ] C3[ ] G482[ ] G483

[ ] Consistent As in G482 and M1 from Jan 2011 onwards
[ ] 85% raw in M2, Core 3 and G482 from Jan 2011 onwards
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
End of week 1

Last week (end of week 1 of "revision") I didn't do as many papers as I'd have liked due to work-commitments. I've decided I'm going to drop the job as it dissolves a lot of my weekdays and I want to go to university. At the end of the month I'm also dropping off rugby and training Saturday and Sunday mornings to free up more revision time.
I've finished learning the content for C4, so after I finish the vectors content I'm going to try and mash as many papers as I can as possible. I'm currently about 2 lessons ahead in C4 differential equations (our current topic) so I have some time to catch up on vectors. I'm also nearing the end of FP3, having only the Integration chapter to be taught and the last part of FP3 vectors to be taught.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday I'm in Dublin so won't do my end of the week update (yeah they're periodic now) until the Monday or Tuesday. I'm missing two lessons on Friday but I've already caught up with the work for one of them and will have done the other by tomorrow.

In more recent news, I got an offer from LSE!!!!!! I'm feeling really motivated to work hard now and I'm relieved I don't have to defer (which I may have ended up doing). My recent offer and drawing inspiration from some of the other blogs has given me more motivation to work as hard as I can :smile: (sorry if that was a bit wet).
Original post by Asurat
x

Super good luck with your exams this year :biggrin: (we are identical in the subjects + STEP papers are we doing btw :five:)

Also congrats on your LSE offer :biggrin: , do you still feel the same as in your original post about wanting to do economics with maths?
Reply 27
Original post by DylanJ42
Super good luck with your exams this year :biggrin: (we are identical in the subjects + STEP papers are we doing btw :five:)

Also congrats on your LSE offer :biggrin: , do you still feel the same as in your original post about wanting to do economics with maths?

Thank you very much, good luck to you too :biggrin: Yeah I'm still wanting do with maths w/ econs so getting the LSE offer is a huge relief! What're your plans for the next year?
Original post by Asurat
Thank you very much, good luck to you too :biggrin: Yeah I'm still wanting do with maths w/ econs so getting the LSE offer is a huge relief! What're your plans for the next year?

thanks :biggrin: that's so good then, what grades to you need for LSE? A*AA or something similar?

Bath to study maths unless I do exceptionally well in my A2s + STEP, then i will gap year and do more alevel maths + try some competition maths as i never got to do it, but it will most likely be the former :tongue:
I wish I was as organised as you with my revision..

Congrats with the LSE offer! One of my friends was predicted the same as you and she got a rejection.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by DylanJ42
thanks :biggrin: that's so good then, what grades to you need for LSE? A*AA or something similar?

Bath to study maths unless I do exceptionally well in my A2s + STEP, then i will gap year and do more alevel maths + try some competition maths as i never got to do it, but it will most likely be the former :tongue:

Yeah exactly that! I can fully empathise with the competition maths thing, I look at all of the threads sometimes and reckon it'd be well cool to get involved (and nice to be that good as well :wink: ) 2 friends of mine are doing maths at Bath and they both seem to really enjoy it so that should be good as well, so either way you should be set :smile:
Original post by Asurat
End of week 1

Last week (end of week 1 of "revision":wink: I didn't do as many papers as I'd have liked due to work-commitments. I've decided I'm going to drop the job as it dissolves a lot of my weekdays and I want to go to university. At the end of the month I'm also dropping off rugby and training Saturday and Sunday mornings to free up more revision time.
I've finished learning the content for C4, so after I finish the vectors content I'm going to try and mash as many papers as I can as possible. I'm currently about 2 lessons ahead in C4 differential equations (our current topic) so I have some time to catch up on vectors. I'm also nearing the end of FP3, having only the Integration chapter to be taught and the last part of FP3 vectors to be taught.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday I'm in Dublin so won't do my end of the week update (yeah they're periodic now) until the Monday or Tuesday. I'm missing two lessons on Friday but I've already caught up with the work for one of them and will have done the other by tomorrow.

In more recent news, I got an offer from LSE!!!!!! I'm feeling really motivated to work hard now and I'm relieved I don't have to defer (which I may have ended up doing). My recent offer and drawing inspiration from some of the other blogs has given me more motivation to work as hard as I can :smile: (sorry if that was a bit wet).

Grats on the LSE offer, I also got one today but for straight econ, hopefully see you there!
Original post by Asurat
Yeah exactly that! I can fully empathise with the competition maths thing, I look at all of the threads sometimes and reckon it'd be well cool to get involved (and nice to be that good as well :wink: ) 2 friends of mine are doing maths at Bath and they both seem to really enjoy it so that should be good as well, so either way you should be set :smile:

yea exactly, ive looked at a few past papers and it just seems like it would be so enjoyable if i was able to do it, plus id get back into geometry which i used to really enjoy but kind of lost interest in for a while :frown:

oh definitely, it looks super good and i certainty wouldn't be disappointed to go there. Id just be a little sad to miss out on competition maths and AFM, plus a break from 7/8am starts 5 days a week would be nice :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by BBeyond
Grats on the LSE offer, I also got one today but for straight econ, hopefully see you there!

Congrats to you too, and yeah hopefully, just need to get the grades now!
Good luck. We are aspiring to the same grades.
Reply 35
End of week 2

As of tomorrow (22/3/1016) my revision timetable kicks in. I'm on the last Core 4 vectors exercise as I type and then I should be decent for Core Maths and only have the papers to do, which won't take too long. My further maths modules aren't feeling too bad either.... Physics requires work.

Dublin was mental. As well as absorbing the culture of the city I got to really enjoy the nightlife, the trip enhanced by the fact it was St Patrick's weekend, centenial of the Easter Uprising and a home Six Nations draw. Next post will probably have more substance as I would have done something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I wish I was as organised as you with my revision..

Congrats with the LSE offer! One of my friends was predicted the same as you and she got a rejection.

Thanks very much for the message (sorry I was late in my reply as didn't see the notification initially), hopefully things work out for your friend :smile:
Reply 37
End of week 3

I feel ready to wipe my hands of core maths (only about 3 months late). My mechanics modules are looking decent as well.
During the last weekend I did a lot of old past questions for M2 collisions an C4 vectors, a well as some for M2 work, energy and power. I also sat an M1, C3, G482, C4 and G484 paper over the weekend which I am still yet to mark. I got an A on the G484 paper and am yet to finish the C4 paper as I got tired. Overall I'd say I'm in decent shape.

Things to work on:
M1 and M2 work energy and power- just forgot how to answer the questions for M1 and the physics understanding is lacking for M2.
G482- Forgotten how to answer questions that involve circuits as can't remember some of the content (e.g effect of light intensity on LDR)
D2- need to give it the once over.
FP2 & FP3- need to finish integration so I can get ahead and catch up on FP3 vectors. I should then be done with FP3. My knowledge of further co-ordinate systems and the loci questions in Complex numbers is poor.
Step 1 and 2- I am going to get a move on after I've sealed up my mechanics hole.
Physics- not too bad.

Next week I'm going to be revising... again. Nothing really exciting coming up at all really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Lilly1234567890

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending