Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so basically, I go to university at Sheffield Hallam and I'm currently in my second year doing Events Management. However, it wasn't at all what I expected it to be, and I even considered dropping out in my first year to go into Adult Nursing, but I decided to keep at my course. I stayed at my course to give it a chance (big mistake), and I now regret not leaving when I first knew that Events Management wasn't for me.

This year I am incredibly demotivated, and I've even put little effort into my coursework, meaning that I am only just passing the modules. I believe this is all down to the fact I am no longer enjoying my course and find it all incredibly boring. Not to mention my second year at university has come with quite a few bumps in the road, including my car getting broken into, my house having damp problems and learning about some of my own health problems.

Having now realised that I should have quit Events Management to study what I initially wanted to do, I have started applying to do Adult Nursing, and I have applied to get experience through St John Ambulance and anything else I can do.

However, I don't know whether to get my Events Management degree first or to just drop out after this year. One main issue of this decision for me is that the course I'm doing now is £9000 a year, excluding the maintenance loans I have been getting. If I finish my degree, I will have to pay for 3 years of my first degree and then three years to do Adult Nursing. Whereas if I drop out this year and go into Adult Nursing, I would be entitled to the NHS funding.
    What should I do about this situation? I am also planning on going to speak to my university about a possible transfer? Do you think that would be possible?
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Changing career paths sucks.

ReputationRep:
    If you will be fully funded to study nursing and have been given a place then I would just start that course right away. There doesn't seem much point finished a degree that you don't like - that's what I would do anyway. Speak to student support at your uni and talk through your options, including the financial side of things then make a decision.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora..)
    Right, so basically, I go to university at Sheffield Hallam and I'm currently in my second year doing Events Management. However, it wasn't at all what I expected it to be, and I even considered dropping out in my first year to go into Adult Nursing, but I decided to keep at my course. I stayed at my course to give it a chance (big mistake), and I now regret not leaving when I first knew that Events Management wasn't for me.

This year I am incredibly demotivated, and I've even put little effort into my coursework, meaning that I am only just passing the modules. I believe this is all down to the fact I am no longer enjoying my course and find it all incredibly boring. Not to mention my second year at university has come with quite a few bumps in the road, including my car getting broken into, my house having damp problems and learning about some of my own health problems.

Having now realised that I should have quit Events Management to study what I initially wanted to do, I have started applying to do Adult Nursing, and I have applied to get experience through St John Ambulance and anything else I can do.

However, I don't know whether to get my Events Management degree first or to just drop out after this year. One main issue of this decision for me is that the course I'm doing now is £9000 a year, excluding the maintenance loans I have been getting. If I finish my degree, I will have to pay for 3 years of my first degree and then three years to do Adult Nursing. Whereas if I drop out this year and go into Adult Nursing, I would be entitled to the NHS funding.
    What should I do about this situation? I am also planning on going to speak to my university about a possible transfer? Do you think that would be possible?
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Changing career paths sucks.
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your course

We recommend that you speak to your Student Support Officer about your current course first. You'll find them at the SHIP reception and they may be able to help.

Alternatively, it might be good for you to pop into the Admissions Reception on Level 4 Surrey Building, City Campus and speak to someone from the Admissions Enquiries and Advice team. If you explain to them what you're thinking, they'll be able to go through your options with you about finishing your course or if it's possible to apply to another. They'll be able to give you further direction on finance too. No appointment is needed, and they're open Mon-Thurs 08:45-17:15 & Fri 08:45-16:45.

I hope this helps you make your decision. If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.

Hannah
    (Official SHU TSR rep)

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What's the course like?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.