The Student Room Group

Is BTEC a well recognised qualification?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlackSweetness
Makes me laugh how people hype up A levels, but when there A level results dont bang and all the BTECs have done well and are going to university, i wonder who ends up coming out on top LOL!

If you know exactly what career you wants eg; engineering, IT, and so on' A BTEC is probable better

Omg, how do you live with grammar like that? Firstly, get there and their right.

Second, 'all the BTECs have done well' so BTECs are people now? Are you okay?

Third, it's probably, not probable.

People like you are the reason why no one takes BTEC students seriously
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Omg, how do you live with grammar like that? Firstly, get there and their right.

Second, 'all the BTECs have done well' so BTECs are people now? Are you okay?

Third, it's probably, not probable.

People like you are the reason why no one takes BTEC students seriously

Good one mate, slating my grammar on a forum because thats the way to win an argument! (Y)
Original post by Kholmes1
Thats pretty much saying that Btecs are easier than Alevels. What you said is true someone who fails alevels could easil get a distinction* in Btecs which is better.

Not really, BTECs test your intelligence in a nore practical way, instead of just memorising the same thing over and over again! Youd be suprised how challenging and fulfilling a BTEC in Engineering or Computer Science can be.
Dont be so narrow minded because youve been pushed towards Alevels
Not really, BTECs test your intelligence in a nore practical way, instead of just memorising the same thing over and over again! Youd be suprised how challenging and fulfilling a BTEC in Engineering or Computer Science can be.
Dont be so narrow minded because youve been pushed towards Alevels

One quick glimpse at your posts and I've noticed that you could potentially be going to Nottingham or Leeds university.

But let me pose this one question for you: What makes you think your BTEC in Engineering will prepare you for the numerous exams you will have at university? These exams will most definitely contribute a significant amount to your final grade, so you can't just get a strong first in your practicals/projects and ignore your exams and expect to come out with a good grade.

There's also the fact that you only got a C in GCSE Maths; as TeeEm said, a good student can easily get an A in GCSE Maths without any revision, meaning your maths obviously isn't as good as the average engineer at a RG-standard university.

You may claim that BTEC 'prepares' you better for Engineering at university, but I think your exam results will really prove if you're just talking out of your ****.
(edited 8 years ago)
One quick glimpse at your posts and I've noticed that you could potentially be going to Nottingham or Leeds university.

But let me pose this one question for you: What makes you think your BTEC in Engineering will prepare you for the numerous exams you will have at university? These exams will most definitely contribute a significant amount to your final grade, so you can't just get a strong first in your practicals/projects and ignore your exams and expect to come out with a good grade.

There's also the fact that you only got a C in GCSE Maths; as TeeEm said, a good student can easily get an A in GCSE Maths without any revision, meaning your maths obviously isn't as good as the average engineer at a RG-standard university.

You may claim that BTEC 'prepares' you better for Engineering at university, but I think your exam results will really prove if you're just talking out of your ****.

We'll just see about that! Im no more disadvantaged than the average student, i have extensive knowledge on the fundementals of an electrical engineering, so i have no quams in that area!
Plus, i know i have to work on my maths, im working on it everyday and i know at this rate i will be able to handle it, if you really think id be going to university unprepared then your stupider than i thought.
I have many many friends in university who did the same course as me, i was the only one who took a gap year and they are all coping fine!
Take your A level supremacy somewhere else!

You make me laugh!
Regarding my GCSEs i barely turned up to lesson, heck i barely finished the exams!
You really think because i put no effort in my GCSEs i am not capable? Anyway, come chat to me in 5 years or so and we'll so whos where and whos doing what!
Thats pretty much saying that Btecs are easier than Alevels. What you said is true someone who fails alevels could easil get a distinction* in Btecs which is better.

Makes me laugh when people compare D/D* to A/A*, as if
Original post by antigone-

Even i know not to compare! A BTEC diploma is the equivelant of probably 1 A level subject, but Depending on the BTEC as some cover quite a bit more
It would be nice if for once when somebody asked a question concerning the value of BTECs it did not turn into a slanging match...
We'll just see about that! Im no more disadvantaged than the average student, i have extensive knowledge on the fundementals of an electrical engineering, so i have no quams in that area!
Plus, i know i have to work on my maths, im working on it everyday and i know at this rate i will be able to handle it, if you really think id be going to university unprepared then your stupider than i thought.
I have many many friends in university who did the same course as me, i was the only one who took a gap year and they are all coping fine!
Take your A level supremacy somewhere else!

You make me laugh!
Regarding my GCSEs i barely turned up to lesson, heck i barely finished the exams!
You really think because i put no effort in my GCSEs i am not capable? Anyway, come chat to me in 5 years or so and we'll so whos where and whos doing what!

Again, you can't be insulting other people's intelligence when you can't get even get you're and your right...

Do you not understand the point of my post? You are disadvantaged, whether you like it or not, because you haven't developed the revision technique that the vast majority of your future coursemates will have.

Also you say that you have 'many many friends' at university doing the same course as you, but you failed to specify which universities they attend; the difficulty of an engineering degree is different for each institution, and it isn't surprising that Kingston's engineering is significantly easier than Warwick's, etc. So I'm willing to bet that your friends aren't going to particularly rigorous institutions which would explain why they seem to be 'coping fine'. It's not A level supremacy, just the cold, harsh reality.

Anyway, come chat to me in 5 years or so and we'll so whos where and whos doing what!

Lol. Rather bold of you to assume that you will do well at university in the first place. Many academically gifted students drop out before second year so don't make the assumption that you'd get through to the end...you haven't even started yet. :lol:
Again, you can't be insulting other people's intelligence when you can't get even get you're and your right...

Do you not understand the point of my post? You are disadvantaged, whether you like it or not, because you haven't developed the revision technique that the vast majority of your future coursemates will have.

Also you say that you have 'many many friends' at university doing the same course as you, but you failed to specify which universities they attend; the difficulty of an engineering degree is different for each institution, and it isn't surprising that Kingston's engineering is significantly easier than Warwick's, etc. So I'm willing to bet that your friends aren't going to particularly rigorous institutions which would explain why they seem to be 'coping fine'. It's not A level supremacy, just the cold, harsh reality.

Lol. Rather bold of you to assume that you will do well at university in the first place. Many academically gifted students drop out before second year so don't make the assumption that you'd get through to the end...you haven't even started yet. :lol:

I have friends in university of sheffield and university of leeds :smile: that enough for you?
You seriously think because i dont have "revision techniques" i wont be able to cope!?
Anyway, ill enjoy myself at university and take the challenges that come my way.

Ps; Im sorry for being an optimist and knowing my ability.

I always love when people have to resort to nitpicking grammar, when they dont have a solid argument. You sound like the annoying snotty kid in year 7 who no one likes
Original post by antigone-

No. Thats what I was saying. A distintion* Is no where near an A* thats pretty much what the other person was saying.
I have friends in university of sheffield and university of leeds :smile: that enough for you?
You seriously think because i dont have "revision techniques" i wont be able to cope!?
Anyway, ill enjoy myself at university and take the challenges that come my way.

Ps; Im sorry for being an optimist and knowing my ability.

I always love when people have to resort to nitpicking grammar, when they dont have a solid argument. You sound like the annoying snotty kid in year 7 who no one likes

FYI there's a big difference between being optimistic and downright arrogance. If you had based your ability on concrete evidence, such as your first year results, fair enough. But you haven't even started university so how could you possibly know if you would do well in that sort of environment?
No. Thats what I was saying. A distintion* Is no where near an A* thats pretty much what the other person was saying.

I was agreeing with you! It is definitely nowhere near an A*
The best universities for Engineering are Oxbridge and ICL, of whom won't consider BTECs on their own.

BTECs just don't prepare you for university life. A lot of unis specifically ask for A-levels in a certain subject because they prepare you for the course.

If you're a good student and capable of getting CCC+ at A-level, clearly you should do A-levels.
Original post by Superhotfire
IT but more hardware support not programming

Posted from TSR Mobile

then a btec will give you a good grounding better than a it a level
Omg I asked a simple question and its turned into a war zone..???

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was reading one of your other posts on another thread. And you said that all Alevels apart from Maths, FM and Physics are "pi** easy" If that was the case why didn't you do that.
FYI there's a big difference between being optimistic and downright arrogance. If you had based your ability on concrete evidence, such as your first year results, fair enough. But you haven't even started university so how could you possibly know if you would do well in that sort of environment?

Where was i being arrogant? BTECs give you a more practical view of engineering! Half of my class went straight into apprenticeships and the other half went straight to Uni, the ones at Uni have told me its Hard but nothing a little motivation and extra time could not fix! I got all distinctions in my maths modules so i know im capable, i just need to put in the work!
Ps; ive looked at exam engineering maths exam questions and they are nothing out of reach, arrogance and being optimistic go hand in hand, if your always doubting yourself how the hell do you expect to succeed in anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending