Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best lube? Watch

Announcements

What's the best one for using for fingering and sex toys? I'm a virgin, so don't want something that stings..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As with contraceptive methods, there isn't anything that's best for everyone / everything. And there are vastly more lubes - this is just a sample:

Olive oil - cheap, easy to get, and doesn't look like you're off to be sexual, stays slippery for ages before being absorbed harmlessly by skin... but damages latex.

Liquid Silk - doesn't taste very nice, not available in most places you can walk into, but otherwise lovely.

Astroglide - not available in most places etc and expensive, otherwise lovely.

Silicone based lubes - very slippy but hard to clean (the combination means don't get any in a bath or shower!), expensive, not for use with silicone toys, tastes bad.

Jelly lubes like KY tend to dry too quickly. Unopened KY is sterile, which not everyone guarantees.

Avoid 'heating' or 'tingling' ones.

(Original post by unprinted)
    As with contraceptive methods, there isn't anything that's best for everyone / everything. And there are vastly more lubes - this is just a sample:

Olive oil - cheap, easy to get, and doesn't look like you're off to be sexual, stays slippery for ages before being absorbed harmlessly by skin... but damages latex.

Liquid Silk - doesn't taste very nice, not available in most places you can walk into, but otherwise lovely.

Astroglide - not available in most places etc and expensive, otherwise lovely.

Silicone based lubes - very slippy but hard to clean (the combination means don't get any in a bath or shower!), expensive, not for use with silicone toys, tastes bad.

Jelly lubes like KY tend to dry too quickly. Unopened KY is sterile, which not everyone guarantees.

Avoid 'heating' or 'tingling' ones.
    I'm using it just on me (am a girl ) Im gonna get one from a shop if preferable haha.

Is KY jelly not that good? What about Durex etc?

Can I buy Liquid Silk from anywhere on the high street?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you try KY see how that goes before buying something more expensive. I like Tracey Cox stuff for sex toy play 😎

ReputationRep:
    Tenga solid from j-list
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm using it just on me (am a girl ) Im gonna get one from a shop if preferable haha.

Is KY jelly not that good? What about Durex etc?

Can I buy Liquid Silk from anywhere on the high street?
    For KY, it's an 'it depends' thing. The main problem with it is that it's gloopy - not surprisingly, given that they call it a jelly - and dries quickly.

Durex lubricants was someone licensing the name and charging a premium.

I think the only places I've seen Liquid Silk in a shop has been in some form of sexuality shop, rather than a generic.

Looking, in Superdrug, I would be looking at 'Superdrug Smooth Operator Light Lube 75ml' (and not their Take It Easy Lubricating Gel'), and in Boots either 'Boots Silky Lubricant' or their silicone one. The first two are going to be cheaper but at least as good as anything else on the shelf, while the third is going to last ages: you only need a little silicone-based lube at a time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and if you're ever in a sexual health clinic or service, they will probably have a range of sachets of different types. Try a variety.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy but for use with a toy durex lube works great

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It may well do - it's just more expensive than it needs to be and better alternatives exist.

ReputationRep:
    Water based is best. Try Durex Sensilube. Oils, KY, thicker water based lubricants etc are not like natural lubrication and are not very good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.