Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's hard to find the right people to travel with Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    By right people it can be broken down further into elements such as someone with the appetite to travel and explore as you, someone with the same budget and someone who has the same approach when it comes to expenditure. For example one friend I can travel with always eats at nice restaurants and pays a lot of money for each meal ... something I just can't do. Might be like 30-40 EURO for a lunch or dinner or something and then I would just feel bad to say no.

I don't want to travel on my own as that just feels sad ... it would make me feel awfully lonely and I'd hate to consider having dinner in a restaurant or going to a club by myself. It's just difficult. What do you guys do?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever though about joining a local youth club and coining in the idea of planning a joint trip abroad? It seems like a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    I have two friends who I can travel with for longer than a week. Other friends, I can cope with for a weekend or so but then they begin to irritate me.

Part of the fun of travelling alone is meeting new people who have similar interests. It can still get a bit lonely but part of the point of travel is to see new things, have new experiences and meet new people. If you travel with a friend (or worse, in a group of friends) then you aren't really ever going to meet new people as you become trapped in a little bubble world of your own. There have been times I've had to eat by myself, but you can make this more bearable by taking a book, going somewhere 'local' and suitable for a single person (i.e. not a fancy, romantic restaurant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Warsmith)
    Have you ever though about joining a local youth club and coining in the idea of planning a joint trip abroad? It seems like a good idea!
    a local youth club? what would that be exactly? I'm 23 now so kind of on the old side.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with standreams, you might think that travelling alone is lonely or sad. But people must think the bright side of things. The company of a familiar person would really make your trip a wonderful experience. But when alone, THAT is an adventure. It forces you to go out of your comfort zone. Meet people in the club or a bar. It'll boost your self-esteem. Or at least push you to you come out of your shell. What do you think?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.