Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    2nd Year Psychology at MMU

1st year - 6/10 in terms of stress
    2nd year - 5/10 in 1st term; 10/10 currently in 2nd term. It's gotten a little bit silly in terms of the amount of deadlines :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    BA Music at Oxford - so stressful, words cannot begin to describe :headfire:

MA Music at Goldsmiths - relatively stress-free, twas quite bemusing :eek:

PhD Music at RoHo - sometimes stressful but certainly not in the same way that Oxford was
    What was it that made the first one so stressful? The uni or because it was a BA degree?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieO)
    What was it that made the first one so stressful? The uni or because it was a BA degree?
    The uni :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    How stressful is games development at a university level?

ReputationRep:
    The Philosophy parts of PPE. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do Geography at University?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English Lit at Essex.

It's not that bad tbh, it's just the reading that I need to get on top of atm. 6/10 probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GamesDevHopeful)
    How stressful is games development at a university level?
    If you want to develop games wouldn't it make sense to apply for computer science?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a graduate now and university compared to the graduate marketplace is a breeze. I'm extremely stressed in general but uni was really supportive. Enjoy it while it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I study Maths at Bath. Term time isn't particularly stressful as I don't feel the pressure of exams that much until very close to the time.

Then I kind of think 'ahh crap I'm so not ready for this exam' the day before but I don't go crazy or lose the plot - just keep calm and carry on.

The actual exams were quite stressful (not particularly for first year as it didn't count but I still wanted to do well) but this semester's stuff has been pretty interesting. It's quite stressful to sit in an exam knowing that you're struggling to answer questions and worrying about whether you'll pass or not.
    Haha I'm exactly the same. I'm currently doing Biology at Sussex in my first year and I only feel the stress of the exams a few days before I'll actually have to do them. Yeah first year exams don't count for me either and you only need like 40% to actually pass I still want to do well though and I'd rather not be close to failing aha. Yeah the only stressful part is answering 5 questions in a row that you literally have no clue about and then wondering how hard the exams actually going to be
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I study English Lit ant Philosophy. Not too bad. I did stess about failing all my first semester modules. Turned out I got 60+% in the exams. Didn't even realise! I hope I can maintain it until my final year!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Anyone do philosophy? That's what I will be studying next year and I'm hoping I t won't be too stressful!
    Yeah I study Philosophy. It's ridiculously hard. The amount of times I'd have to go over stuff from lectures. And then read the core text which didn't make sense. I found myself trolling the internet to find a simple explanation of most things!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viciousechoes)
    English Lit at Essex.

It's not that bad tbh, it's just the reading that I need to get on top of atm. 6/10 probably
    Do you enjoy it?

I applied there twice and got an offer, but turned it down due the fact that you don't study a lot of modules and all the modules or near enough of them you study about 2 or 3 exams that last 3 hours?!

Didn't seem worth it getting to study about 2 modules a year (combined with Philosophy).

(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Yeah I study Philosophy. It's ridiculously hard. The amount of times I'd have to go over stuff from lectures. And then read the core text which didn't make sense. I found myself trolling the internet to find a simple explanation of most things!
    Shoot. I've found the texts at AS/A-level fine to understand but I guess we must start with the easy stuff! Which core texts have you found particularly hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    If you want to develop games wouldn't it make sense to apply for computer science?
    why not games development as it is a much more educational course for what I want to do as it will go into depth about games development. However if I did computer science it would be a very broad knowledge and a lot of theory and probably would not touch on games development

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GamesDevHopeful)
    why not games development as it is a much more educational course for what I want to do as it will go into depth about games development. However if I did computer science it would be a very broad knowledge and a lot of theory and probably would not touch on games development
    You will gain many more skills from doing computer science. Plus degrees like game development aren't really recognised so it won't help your employment situation that much.

Markets like game development are very very saturated right now (98% of game developers make near to nothing) so I don't think putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea. You will learn everything you need doing compsci + you will have a back up plan.

Also you are more likely to get employed by a company who develops games if you have a compsci degree (think Activision).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    You will gain many more skills from doing computer science. Plus degrees like game development aren't really recognised so it won't help your employment situation that much.

Markets like game development are very very saturated right now (98% of game developers make near to nothing) so I don't think putting all your eggs in one basket is a good idea. You will learn everything you need doing compsci + you will have a back up plan.

Also you are more likely to get employed by a company who develops games if you have a compsci degree (think Activision).
    kk thanks for the responses do you do a computer science degree at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieEXE)
    How is economics?
    Depends on the modules you are doing. If you are mainly doing applied modules or stuff like behavioural economics, alternative perspectives, etc. it's quite easy and stress-free. If you focus on mathematical economics and theoretical micro / macro or econometrics (assuming your uni offers modules in these subjects), it can be a lot more stressful.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy at Reading - 3rd year

Tough old degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.