Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yep i just wanted to get the 100th post on this thread

gotta to learn M2 today for fridays exam but flickin thro it looks quite straight forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shakrulz)
    hi i got
    pi(39/2 + 4ln4) for my volume of revolution, can anyone confirm it?
    yeah i got that but i turned 4ln4 into 8ln2

ReputationRep:
    u know that root question,
    i used 1.695 and 1.705 but there was no sign change, the question said show that there is one positive root right? And when i put 1.695 and 1.705 into the equation the answer was 1.70 therefore, one positive root, there wasn't any sign change, correct me if im wrong anyone please.

(Original post by ORIGINAL)
    i used 1.695 and 1.705 but there was no sign change, the question said show that there is one positive root right? And when i put 1.695 and 1.705 into the equation the answer was 1.70 therefore, one positive root, there wasn't any sign change, correct me if im wrong anyone please.
    um, no, there should have been a change in sign from f(1.695) to f(1.705).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ORIGINAL)
    A root is defined as a value that sets the function to zero.

For you to show that there is a root between 1.695 and 1.705, you need to find the values of f(1.695) and f(1.705) and hence show that there is a change in sign. As the graph of f(x) is continuous over this interval, you have then proved that a root lies between 1.695 and 1.705 because f(x) must equal zero at some stage between f(1.695) and f(1.705).

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    not bad except few question how did the graph look like on that last question? ln/3x-6/ (/ / =modulus)
    I messed this one up, but I have since looked it up on Omnigraph.

It looks like Ln(x) but shifted to the right, with a reflection of it to the immediate left.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XYTER)
    I hated that exam but there are going to be people who get 75/75 but i reckon judging from it you'll get an A for 60/75 because last year it was complete piss and u needed 65 for an A. If we're lucky it will 58 but I can't see it being any higher then that.
    I honestly thought P2 would be easy judging from the past papers. Clearly I was wrong.

I thought the paper was fine overall, but it did have some nasties in it or tricky bits (at least for me). It was definitely not easy.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexazver203)
    65??!!! are u joking 60/75 is 80% so that the most it shud go to imo
    It does not work like that!

If too many people cream a paper, then you might need far more than 80% of the raw marks to get 80% of the UMS marks available.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    no it was y=1/5*(6x-1)

as gradient=1+e^x/5
    and when x=0, gradient =6/5
    But when x=0, then 0/5 = 0, and anything raised by the power of 0 is 1 meaning that y=2?

Unless I have misunderstood the bit where you wrote: "as gradient=1+e^x/5".

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Porcella)
    But when x=0, then 0/5 = 0, and anything raised by the power of 0 is 1 meaning that y=2?

Unless I have misunderstood the bit where you wrote: "as gradient=1+e^x/5".

John
    yeah, i think you may have misunderstood...i'm pretty sure it was:
    1 + (e^x)/5
    but then again, i could be wrong

ReputationRep:
    I know I have already screwed this paper up. I only did the iterations, alg fraction and the integ/diff questions fairly well, logs I got like 2 marks... BUT.

Will i lose marks for simplifying 4ln4 to ln256. I don't think i should, as it didnt specify a form. Will I be okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Will i lose marks for simplifying 4ln4 to ln256. I don't think i should, as it didnt specify a form. Will I be okay?
    you won't lose any marks for this, since, like you said, they didn't specify (personally, i kept it as 8ln2).
    it sounds like you've done most of the questions, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about

ReputationRep:
    ln256!!! yikes ....loads of past paper qs asks u to put stuff in da form a+bln2 so i did that

ReputationRep:
    I could have been sensible and made things easy on myself. I could have acted logically, as all mathematicians should. But there is one small problem.

I'm too stupid and fat to do maths, lol...

Btw, I don't want or expect an A, like everyone else on these boards seems to be expecting. I am not great or anything, but I was praying my heart out for a B... Even scraping a B would have made my results day for P2... Now I reckon I will get a D, and probably a low one. I can't think of anything worse. I've let myself down.

I would so like to see the solutions all done for this paper, then at least I could start to accept whatever mark ive got... Anyone have them, or know where they are? PLEASE?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Porcella)
    I messed this one up, but I have since looked it up on Omnigraph.

It looks like Ln(x) but shifted to the right, with a reflection of it to the immediate left.

John
    our maths teacher did that with us apparently its an asymptote about the x=2 line with a reflection on the other side. i did it without the line crossing the x axis wonder if i'll get any marks....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.