Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would a recruitment agency lie about a role to get you to sign-up with their company? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Long-story short I'm unemployed and applying for a lot of temp roles (as I'm only where I am now for 10 months. Applying for about 10 roles a day so can't really keep track of what I've actually applied for. Got a call from a recruitment agency saying they'd received my application and although wasn't suitable for the role I'd applied for that they had a lot of roles they felt I would be suitable for and to come in and sign-up as a temp with them. They then said they had a specific role they felt I was really suitable for and to come in for an interview with them and to sign-up as soon as possible. I obviously saw nothing wrong with this as it's a free service and they might be able to give me advice on my CV, Cover Letters etc.

I went in and signed-up with them last Wednesday. Had a typing and numerical test etc, and then interview was a standard interview with the same boring questions, weaknesses/strengths, hobbies etc. They didn't give me any feedback on my CV and just said at the end of the interview that they'd be in touch to let me know if they were taking my application any further in regard to the role. I didn't hear anything so called back on Friday afternoon and was told that they weren't taking my application further as there were more suitable candidates and people who had scored slightly higher in the tests etc. I'm fine with this as there are no doubt more suitable candidates for roles. What annoyed me however is when I asked if there were more roles available or anything coming up they said 'we'll be in contact if anything comes up'. What happened to 'a lot of roles we feel you'd be suitable for'. Yes they could be in touch later this afternoon for all I know but it could also be 5 months or never.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I feel like they're having me on, but then I think why would they, what would they gain? I didn't have to pay any money to sign-up and only had to do an interview and some tests. But how does it go from 'plenty of temp roles' to 'we'll be in touch if anything comes up'?

Is there anything like sign-up targets for agents? Do they just get as many people to sign-up as possible with no real intention of getting them a role so that they look good or meet targets? Or am I just being paranoid?

ReputationRep:
    Well I keep a note of what I have applied for as I am currently looking for graduate positions in my final year of uni. I have now had 2 companies professionally advertising the programmes as "Graduate Marketing Programme - 3 years". I have went to the interview loving the look of the company and when they accept me as an employee I get told I will be doing door to door sales for credit cards! DEFINITELY not what was advertised on their websites.
    Just be careful in future some people cant get people applying for jobs unless they rename it and make it sound interesting. Hope everything works out okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralphieinker90)
    Long-story short I'm unemployed and applying for a lot of temp roles (as I'm only where I am now for 10 months. Applying for about 10 roles a day so can't really keep track of what I've actually applied for. Got a call from a recruitment agency saying they'd received my application and although wasn't suitable for the role I'd applied for that they had a lot of roles they felt I would be suitable for and to come in and sign-up as a temp with them. They then said they had a specific role they felt I was really suitable for and to come in for an interview with them and to sign-up as soon as possible. I obviously saw nothing wrong with this as it's a free service and they might be able to give me advice on my CV, Cover Letters etc.

I went in and signed-up with them last Wednesday. Had a typing and numerical test etc, and then interview was a standard interview with the same boring questions, weaknesses/strengths, hobbies etc. They didn't give me any feedback on my CV and just said at the end of the interview that they'd be in touch to let me know if they were taking my application any further in regard to the role. I didn't hear anything so called back on Friday afternoon and was told that they weren't taking my application further as there were more suitable candidates and people who had scored slightly higher in the tests etc. I'm fine with this as there are no doubt more suitable candidates for roles. What annoyed me however is when I asked if there were more roles available or anything coming up they said 'we'll be in contact if anything comes up'. What happened to 'a lot of roles we feel you'd be suitable for'. Yes they could be in touch later this afternoon for all I know but it could also be 5 months or never.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I feel like they're having me on, but then I think why would they, what would they gain? I didn't have to pay any money to sign-up and only had to do an interview and some tests. But how does it go from 'plenty of temp roles' to 'we'll be in touch if anything comes up'?

Is there anything like sign-up targets for agents? Do they just get as many people to sign-up as possible with no real intention of getting them a role so that they look good or meet targets? Or am I just being paranoid?
    Yes it is a common tactic used by agencies, the more people they have on the books the better. I create an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of applications, helps massively. Also you might want to consider if by applying for up to 10 a day you are compromising on the quality of the application?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralphieinker90)
    1. Keep track of your applications

2. Quite likely there wasn't a specific role

3. It doesn't matter, because by turning up and going through the process they now know that you are a) a person that turns up and goes through a process and b) that you haven't got horns* and are someone they can reasonably put in front of a client and their reputation will still be good.

You get this sort of 'horns' checking at all levels, when the initial contact is through some cold-calling/responding to an advert. I've lost count of the times I've schlepped up to London to 'have a chat' with head-hunters and come back having learnt nothing more about the role than was already in the candidate brief. But I have shown them that if they persuade a client to interview me, I'll be credible and won't damage their reputation with the client.

*can't actually see what would be wrong with horns - antlers would be inconvenient in a lift, but...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.