Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is cheating so rife in the modern world? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This generation is absolutely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with this generation, study the history of thousands of historical people and the only thing most of them have in common is that they or their wife is having an affair.

People are disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I think cheating has decreased because divorcing is now allowed/easier than in the past, and because less marriages are arranged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think cheating has decreased because divorcing is now allowed/easier than in the past, and because less marriages are arranged.
    i agree; cheating also happens in relationships as well as marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i agree; cheating also happens in relationships as well as marriage
    Pragmatically speaking cheating may strengthen a relationship in a very odd sort of way, much like losing a child, the loss and fragility leads some to express more gratitude towards their partners; of course in our ungrateful modern world that's not usually the case, our partners can be comedians 6 hours straight but if they happen to slip up for 10 minutes that guy at the bar looks nice

ReputationRep:
    People cheated in the past. People have always had mistresses and side hoes. It's just a lot more obvious nowadays and before if your hubby cheated you couldnt get a divorce, you'd have to keep a stricter eye on him instead, therefore less people knew about cheating etc.

ReputationRep:
    Each generation becomes more entitled than the last.

People think they deserve great sex even if it means cheating.

Good article on men.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1072186.html
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Pragmatically speaking cheating may strengthen a relationship in a very odd sort of way, much like losing a child, the loss and fragility leads some to express more gratitude towards their partners; of course in our ungrateful modern world that's not usually the case, our partners can be comedians 6 hours straight but if they happen to slip up for 10 minutes that guy at the bar looks nice
    That's like saying 'pragmatically speaking, not wearing a seatbelt may help you get out of a head-on smash up which would otherwise prove fatal'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    That's like saying 'pragmatically speaking, not wearing a seatbelt may help you get out of a head-on smash up which would otherwise prove fatal'.
    Not translating this car speak might be too early for me. I'm just saying cheating while always bad, is not always bad in the long term, in very committed relationships it can be bring people closer together.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Not translating this car speak might be too early for me. I'm just saying cheating while always bad, is not always bad in the long term, in very committed relationships it can be bring people closer together.
    OK. I accept that with the provision that it's a highly risky strategy which is most likely to end in catastrophe for most couples though.

ReputationRep:
    wtf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bealzibub)
    wtf
    Yeah it is a big wtf. Stupid complex world isn't fitting my black and white prejudices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think the rise in infidelity and the drop in arranged marriages are correlated in that both are caused by a general reduced adherence to tradition, but I don't think that arranged marriages are necessarily less likely to end in infidelity. Generally speaking it may seem that way because marital infidelity may be less likely to become publicly known in societies that also have many arranged marriages.

(I hope that made any sense at all.)

ReputationRep:
    We need to ask ourselves why people cheat in the first place. it's not always the fault of the cheater

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellaaa)
    We need to ask ourselves why people cheat in the first place. it's not always the fault of the cheater
    That's just like saying a rapist isn't always at fault when they commit rape. Just like a rape victim, somebody being cheated on doesn't deserve it, nor are they asking for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think most of the people in this thread are ignoring the OPs question. They seem to be answering the question "Did cheating happen throughout history?" rather than comparing the amount of cheating.

Whilst there certainly was cheating through history, It's quite clear there's a lot more cheating now for several reasons:

- Digital secrecy It's a lot easier to get on Tinder, Ashley Madison, Grindr or even Facebook, send a few flirty texts and get things going from there. If you live in a small village in the countryside with a community of several hundred, it's a bit more difficult to accomplish this. Even in larger cities in previous ages, you'd quite possibly mingle in the same social circles so things got a lot more messy. Now, it's easy and secret. Who has to know?

- Contraception Let's face it, knowing you're probably not going to get pregnant is a large driving factor in a lot of our sexual activity. Would you have had sex with half the amount of people you've had sex with if you knew there was a decent chance you were going to get pregnant?

- Changing Values Paired with the above reasons, combined with the sexual revolution of the 60s, the change to the idea of marriage from being a sacred contract into just a social agreement, free-for-all divorce etc

There's probably more reasons but these are the main 3.

SS

ReputationRep:
    It's down to a lack of morals combined with the desire to lead an increasingly hedonstic lifestyle.
    Technology has also made it easier to seek the company of another person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I think most of the people in this thread are ignoring the OPs question. They seem to be answering the question "Did cheating happen throughout history?" rather than comparing the amount of cheating.

Whilst there certainly was cheating through history, It's quite clear there's a lot more cheating now for several reasons:

- Digital secrecy It's a lot easier to get on Tinder, Ashley Madison, Grindr or even Facebook, send a few flirty texts and get things going from there. If you live in a small village in the countryside with a community of several hundred, it's a bit more difficult to accomplish this. Even in larger cities in previous ages, you'd quite possibly mingle in the same social circles so things got a lot more messy. Now, it's easy and secret. Who has to know?

- Contraception Let's face it, knowing you're probably not going to get pregnant is a large driving factor in a lot of our sexual activity. Would you have had sex with half the amount of people you've had sex with if you knew there was a decent chance you were going to get pregnant?

- Changing Values Paired with the above reasons, combined with the sexual revolution of the 60s, the change to the idea of marriage from being a sacred contract into just a social agreement, free-for-all divorce etc

There's probably more reasons but these are the main 3.

SS
    Prostitution was much more widespread in the past, you had prostitutes in every village. Unless you think that ****ing whores isn't cheating, I'd say the phenomenon was more prevalent than today. We are more faithful because we aren't legally bound to a lifetime relationship anymore.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.