Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with stress as a lead video game developer Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm the founder and Project Lead of a video game development project that's been in the works since November 2015. I manage a team of 50+ people over Facebook, all of whom work on various tasks within their division in their spare time.

We've gotten a large boost in popularity recently, with our GameJolt page being featured in the Best of All Time section, having 25k views and 600 followers. On our YouTube channel, some of our most popular videos have nearly 10k views and we've shot up from 10 to 500 subscribers over this last month. In other words, we're picking up a lot of speed in the PR department, and many people are expressing how excited they are to see our work in comments.

As the Project Lead, part of my role is to manage the email account and all social media interaction - and holy hell, is it tiring. I get roughly 20 team application emails a day and it's gotten the point where I struggle to bring myself to answer any. I usually log into the YouTube channel each day to see upwards of 50 notifications, and it's difficult to manage them all with the busy schedule my life away from the project grants me.

One particularly loyal fan panicked that we were cancelling the project simply because I did not respond to his comment within three days, claiming that we had "been gone for ages". I'm finding it incredibly stressful trying to keep 24/7 interaction with so many people consistent.

I have considered appointing other members of the team to help with social media, but as it stands I don't currently trust anyone on the team enough to respond to fan feedback and enquiries in an entirely respectful manner, regardless of what the fan may have said. We've had trolls before telling us that our work is pathetic and that we should go and kill ourselves - I myself was not fussed by this and simply responded to such comments with a respectful reply along the lines of "we are sorry to hear that you are displeased with our work. We hope that, with time, you'll come to appreciate our efforts to entertain our players in a more positive light". The person I was considering appointing to a social media role had wanted to spark an argument with the one of them he had seen, which would have been incredibly unprofessional and damaging to our reputation.

I'm struggling to deal with the stress of juggling the management of 50+ people, social media interactions and my own life (I'm an A2 student hoping to study Psychology at Plymouth University later this year). Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Do you manage 5p individuals or are they split into teams? If they're not they really ought to be at that scale, then some of the responsibility for recruitment can be handed over to other "senior" members.

What's the recruitment process at present?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.