The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

What are the likelihoods of any questions on tnc's coming up for health?
Reply 241
Anyone have any idea for the deserts 15 marker? Usually its just about the Sahel e.g "Sahel can be used sustainably if carefully managed" - Discuss this view. What other things could be asked????
Original post by Scienceaqa
Hey guys,

I was just wondering which of the following case studies I would use for an ageing and youthful population...
If none of these are the right ones could you possible tell me what case studies I need to learn?

France
China
Uganda
Poland
Mexico
UK
America

& can you please send me any notes on this?
Thanks in advance & good luck! :smile:

For ageing, I used UK, and for youthful, I used Uganda.
Original post by Scienceaqa
Hey guys,

I was just wondering which of the following case studies I would use for an ageing and youthful population...
If none of these are the right ones could you possible tell me what case studies I need to learn?

France
China
Uganda
Poland
Mexico
UK
America

& can you please send me any notes on this?
Thanks in advance & good luck! :smile:

Uganda - Youthful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q-sSeINYE&index=15&list=PLPyIFM6OV7itgy6mo1agngBmU9E4E61OX
UK- Ageing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiMM3U3SRg0&list=PLPyIFM6OV7itgy6mo1agngBmU9E4E61OX&index=16
any predictions for cold environments?
Reply 245
Original post by DestinySmith
What are the likelihoods of any questions on tnc's coming up for health?

I don't think its very likely as tobacco TNCs were the 15 marker for health last year.
Original post by Phoebesmith1999
any predictions for cold environments?

Fluvioglacial, erosional features, Antarctica/Tundra
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GraceEC
I don't think its very likely as tobacco TNCs were the 15 marker for health last year.

Thank you! including Pharmaceutical companies also like GSK?
Original post by abcdeffy
could you write 15 marks on that though? there's nothing for chemical and just four for mechanical...

hopefully not, would be a hard question but there's quite a bit to write on

Mechanical:
- exfoliation
- granular disintegration
- shattering

Chemical
- crystal growth
- hydration
does anyone have a generic outline of how to answer 15 mark questions? would be much appreciated x
Do we need to know management of flooding case studies (for rivers or coasts)???
Would be great if someone who has been very active/aware on this thread could maybe summarise all the 15 markers that are looking likely this year?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 252
Original post by DestinySmith
Thank you! including Pharmaceutical companies also like GSK?

I'm not sure about pharmaceutical ones, I would still revise them.

The TNC question was:
'Tobacco transnationals have a positive as well as a negative role to play in health matters in a globalising world economy' (15 marks)
Original post by colback98
what do you mean by 'population indicators?'

Suppose the question is:
Discuss the usefulness of at least two population development indicators.
[15 marks]

Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) is defined as the number of children who die before their first birthday per 1000 births, per year. IMR is a good development indicator as it shows whether a country is more or less developed. For example, UK with a IMR of 4.69 is very low and it shows that the country has good healthcare and sanitation and is therefore less likely to allow for such deaths. Uganda, for instance has a very high IMR and it is an LEDC, accounting for worse healthcare and sanitation meaning that more children will die. IMR is also very effective is working with the Demographic Transition Model and is many cases it correlates with these IMR Figures. For example, UK with it's low 4.69 IMR is in the later, stage 4 of the DTM meaning that the birth and death rate fluctuates.

Migration Rate is also a useful development indicator and is defined as the number of people emigrating from the country of origin and immigrating into the host country. The migration rate may be useful at showing the development of the host country due to many pull factors which make people want to move to it. For example, the Poland to UK, Slough migration has many pull factors such as better education; better healthcare and higher provision of work for educated professionals such as dentist. All of this accounts for the fact that the host country UK; has a better quality of life and therefore people want to live in it. The country of origin, Poland, might have push factors such as an ageing population and less opportunities for people to get a higher salary job.

Therefore, Migration Rate & Infant Mortality Rate are useful at showing whether the population of a giving country is developed or not.
Original post by JamesRobinson97
hopefully not, would be a hard question but there's quite a bit to write on

Mechanical:
- exfoliation
- granular disintegration
- shattering

Chemical
- crystal growth
- hydration

we were told that there aren't any chemical weathering processes in the desert!! this is for hot desert environments right? could you please explain the two?
Original post by Don Joiner
Would be great if someone who has been very active/aware on this thread could maybe summarise all the 15 markers that are looking likely this year?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rivers- Floods impacts/management, Rejuvenation
Cold Environments - Fluvioglacial Features, Exploitation of the Tundra, Antarctica
Population- Youthful/Ageing Population
Reply 256
My teacher has said that oxbow lakes and deltas are likely to come up in the rivers section, and in coasts possibly an assess question on coastal flooding. But I don't really know if they would be the 15 markers.
Original post by emilyp2206
right, socioeconomic relates to social and economic factors of the area, the ones to use are typically schools, housing prices, proffessions, qualifications, wages etc.

Save crimes, ethnicity (for segregation), type of housing for social welfare. This is probably going to come up, my teachers been drilling us on this stuff. Know your settlement case studies inside out, rather than urban/rural specifically id say, theyve come up before

Do you mind sending me notes on this because I haven't done it at all
Coastal environments - anyone have notes on beach landforms such as storm beach, berms, cusps, runnels?
Original post by abcdeffy
we were told that there aren't any chemical weathering processes in the desert!! this is for hot desert environments right? could you please explain the two?

Sure

crystal growth: dissolved salts in the water in cracks form crystals as the water evaporates. Further heating causes the crystals to expand, resulting in the rocks being prised apart - eventually pieces of the rock fall off

hydration: certain rocks, especially those containing salt minerals, are capable of absorbing water into their layers, causing them to swell and become vulnerable to future breakdown.

Basically the two revolve around water entering rocks and expanding and breaking them down.

Quick Reply

Latest