Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swingrx)
    For the rivers 15 marker I'm not if I've messed it up...
    I only wrote about three impacts for each river and compared them....

E.g. The four people died in the flood in Carlisle, whereas in south Asia over 2000 people died. This could due to most people in South Asia working in the agricultural sector, which means they were more reluctant to leave their livestock as that represented their livelihood, whereas in Carlisle people were able to evacuate more quickly as there is more mobility e.g. better transport, many people's homes are insured, so people are less reluctant to leave their homes.

I think I was probably meant discuss more than three impacts... I talked about death toll, homelessness, and people catching waterborne diseases (their all social impacts as well ), do you think I would be marked down for only discusses three impacts?
    did we have to compare the impacts? i only compared one impact wgich was education. for tge others i discussed tge impacts seperste to each case study.

if we had to compare then what you hsve written would be level 3

if we didnt have to compare them then you wouls get level 2.

for anyone that didnt compare and wrote indiviak impacts fro each area it would be level 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olijm)
    So for that Ugandan population pyramid Q, I didn't really get what it wanted me to write.. I first off described the figure (wide base, concave, narrow top, typical stage 2 structure..) then said how it would change as the stage increased (eg as the stages increase the BR should decrease so the base would get smaller, and the youthful population will be older so there will be more middle aged etc and the top wil be wider due to higher quality health care..) wasnt really sure if thats what it wanted? Or if it wanted me to say 'in stage 3 it will be.. In stage 4 it will look like..'?

Also for the Antartica Q, as it was more about the issues with it being used etc i just started off by talking about tourism uses as they arrive by boat etc and issues can arise by damage to flora/fauna, oil spillages like HS Explorer etc and how delecate the ecosystem is blah blah but then i started to say something like "however there are treaties to manage this to help preserve eg the Atlantic Treaty 1969 which is mandatory and signed by 45 countries etc and then said about the IAATO and described that alittle. But then i started to think i wasnt answering the Q so i said however the IAATO is voluntary so tour oporators may not follow this which could damage the wilderness etc (even though most do but didnt say that haha). Then thought i'd chuck in the Madrid protocol and how in 2048 it could be over turned threatening mining to take place etc.. Does this all sound okay? Wasn't too sure if it answered the Q as i thought the angle was abit
    wierd!!

For that malnutrition Q i hadn't done in class or revised but made it up.. I talked about the rise of maccies and how Coke sells in every countri bar 2 so it changes people diets for the worst meaning that essential minerals are lost making people malnourished etc.. Then remembered my famine case study and how women and children got malnourished from not having any milk as herders killed their cattle for meat etc.. Is this right??

Glacial changes past present future Q idk what that even showed i've never been so stuck on a simple Q about a map etc but i noticed that the river changed direction so just said that and gave the direction etc? Is that okay? Is it even right??

Feed back on these would be hugely appreciated!! Just feel abit in the dark right now!! Thanks in advance!!
    didn't do your other units, but obvs i did population! I said the pyramid was stage 1, if you look it up it looks more like stage one but yeah i first described it and then went on to say as the country gets more developed (i.e. education of women) the birth rate would fall so the pyramid would become narrower on the bottom, but yah dunno whether that was right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amytse)
    what did someone write about for the 15 marker on coasts? I wrote about how salt marshes form and how it protects the beach? I GOT SO CONFUSED!!
    Are you referring to the Essex casestudy? i talked about how Essex was doing managed retreat and marshland recreation. So i mentioned a bit how thr marshland formed and how it was sustainable, cheap, efficent stopped coastal squeeze and would only need to be looked at again in about 100 years time to stop the salt marsh from continuously retreating into an Urban area. Oh and how Amersham Farm needed compensating.

ReputationRep:
    did we have to say what stage it was in? i described what it looked like and tge dependency ratio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olijm)
    So for that Ugandan population pyramid Q, I didn't really get what it wanted me to write.. I first off described the figure (wide base, concave, narrow top, typical stage 2 structure..) then said how it would change as the stage increased (eg as the stages increase the BR should decrease so the base would get smaller, and the youthful population will be older so there will be more middle aged etc and the top wil be wider due to higher quality health care..) wasnt really sure if thats what it wanted? Or if it wanted me to say 'in stage 3 it will be.. In stage 4 it will look like..'?

Also for the Antartica Q, as it was more about the issues with it being used etc i just started off by talking about tourism uses as they arrive by boat etc and issues can arise by damage to flora/fauna, oil spillages like HS Explorer etc and how delecate the ecosystem is blah blah but then i started to say something like "however there are treaties to manage this to help preserve eg the Atlantic Treaty 1969 which is mandatory and signed by 45 countries etc and then said about the IAATO and described that alittle. But then i started to think i wasnt answering the Q so i said however the IAATO is voluntary so tour oporators may not follow this which could damage the wilderness etc (even though most do but didnt say that haha). Then thought i'd chuck in the Madrid protocol and how in 2048 it could be over turned threatening mining to take place etc.. Does this all sound okay? Wasn't too sure if it answered the Q as i thought the angle was abit
    wierd!!

For that malnutrition Q i hadn't done in class or revised but made it up.. I talked about the rise of maccies and how Coke sells in every countri bar 2 so it changes people diets for the worst meaning that essential minerals are lost making people malnourished etc.. Then remembered my famine case study and how women and children got malnourished from not having any milk as herders killed their cattle for meat etc.. Is this right??

Glacial changes past present future Q idk what that even showed i've never been so stuck on a simple Q about a map etc but i noticed that the river changed direction so just said that and gave the direction etc? Is that okay? Is it even right??

Feed back on these would be hugely appreciated!! Just feel abit in the dark right now!! Thanks in advance!!
    I did exactly the same as you for the Uganda question, explaining what it was like in the diagram and then saying how it would change, but not giving specific stages. I think I mentioned that in stage 4/5 if it ever reached it then it may have an ageing population.
    For the Antarctica question, I talked about issues such as sealing and also the fishing that goes on and the vast amount of krill being taken. I also talked about the tourism and the Scott Polar Research Institute that looked at the negative effects of the tourism. I did think the question was worded weirdly too but it seems that what you put would definitely answer the question well.
    For the malnutrition one I only talked about LDCs (forgot it occurs in MDCs too!), so my whole answer was based around poverty, and that 80% of Ethiopians rely on agriculture and if due to disaster or drought these crops fail they cant feed themselves. I used the 1984-5 and 2000 case study. Yours sounds right too!
    I agree on the glacial map question, i had absolutely no idea what it showed and put exactly what you did about it changing direction (after I'd studied it for 5 minutes trying to work it out!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    2 settlements bro, so two parts of a city -__----
    ayy I did this I compared Northern Sheffield to South Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieMcMinn)
    Aah Shite
    Dw im sure u picked up marks in the other part forget about it its done

ReputationRep:
    for coasts case study was it correct in talking about tge benefits of the engineering such as walkinh on high tide which couldnt be done before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A levellssss123)
    On the population 15 marker I rushed it and accidentally wrote about migration in two contrasting areas and how this affects these areas- I wrote about services shutting down etc which I guess is social welfare but then I wrote about pollution and waste in the areas
    and about general overcrowding. All these do impact humans in a way but I'm not sure if it will count as 'social welfare', anyone know if I would get any marks for this?
    Please someone reply in really worried I've mucked it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie1212)
    I did exactly the same as you for the Uganda question, explaining what it was like in the diagram and then saying how it would change, but not giving specific stages. I think I mentioned that in stage 4/5 if it ever reached it then it may have an ageing population.
    For the Antarctica question, I talked about issues such as sealing and also the fishing that goes on and the vast amount of krill being taken. I also talked about the tourism and the Scott Polar Research Institute that looked at the negative effects of the tourism. I did think the question was worded weirdly too but it seems that what you put would definitely answer the question well.
    For the malnutrition one I only talked about LDCs (forgot it occurs in MDCs too!), so my whole answer was based around poverty, and that 80% of Ethiopians rely on agriculture and if due to disaster or drought these crops fail they cant feed themselves. I used the 1984-5 and 2000 case study. Yours sounds right too!
    I agree on the glacial map question, i had absolutely no idea what it showed and put exactly what you did about it changing direction (after I'd studied it for 5 minutes trying to work it out!)
    Thank you so much!!! Thats so helpful!! I really need a high grade in this as its a resit haha! Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BonnieLeigh)
    didn't do your other units, but obvs i did population! I said the pyramid was stage 1, if you look it up it looks more like stage one but yeah i first described it and then went on to say as the country gets more developed (i.e. education of women) the birth rate would fall so the pyramid would become narrower on the bottom, but yah dunno whether that was right
    Thank you!! That was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A levellssss123)
    Please someone reply in really worried I've mucked it up.
    if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.

ReputationRep:
    for the population 15 marker i talked about the Isle of Purbeck in dorset which is undergoing rural depopulation and Brick Lane in london which is experiencing population growth but as the question asked for two 'settlements' does this mean it had to be two areas of a city or will the case studies i have used by ok?

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for Geog2?

Haven't started revision yet!!

ReputationRep:
    dif u have yo compare coz i made seperste points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogmeister)
    if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.

did u have to compare coz i made seperste points...

Now that's done. Is everyone prepared for GEOG2?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah thats what i did! Just evaluated it! Yeah we should be fine!!! I feel i wrote it well so hopefully go the top mark band!!! I felt my CHD 15marker flopped! Forgot how to tackle it! So annoyed haha just used gernic points really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olijm)

wierd!!
    I wrote the same as you here. I thought the question lacked clarity and i didn't really know how to tackle it, but i just kept evaluating whether the issues threatened the wilderness after my main points to keep it on the question etc. Hopefully we'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    yeah any geog 2 predictions? as its the only AS exam I'm retaking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.