Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olijm)
    So for that Ugandan population pyramid Q, I didn't really get what it wanted me to write.. I first off described the figure (wide base, concave, narrow top, typical stage 2 structure..) then said how it would change as the stage increased (eg as the stages increase the BR should decrease so the base would get smaller, and the youthful population will be older so there will be more middle aged etc and the top wil be wider due to higher quality health care..) wasnt really sure if thats what it wanted? Or if it wanted me to say 'in stage 3 it will be.. In stage 4 it will look like..'?

Also for the Antartica Q, as it was more about the issues with it being used etc i just started off by talking about tourism uses as they arrive by boat etc and issues can arise by damage to flora/fauna, oil spillages like HS Explorer etc and how delecate the ecosystem is blah blah but then i started to say something like "however there are treaties to manage this to help preserve eg the Atlantic Treaty 1969 which is mandatory and signed by 45 countries etc and then said about the IAATO and described that alittle. But then i started to think i wasnt answering the Q so i said however the IAATO is voluntary so tour oporators may not follow this which could damage the wilderness etc (even though most do but didnt say that haha). Then thought i'd chuck in the Madrid protocol and how in 2048 it could be over turned threatening mining to take place etc.. Does this all sound okay? Wasn't too sure if it answered the Q as i thought the angle was abit
    wierd!!

For that malnutrition Q i hadn't done in class or revised but made it up.. I talked about the rise of maccies and how Coke sells in every countri bar 2 so it changes people diets for the worst meaning that essential minerals are lost making people malnourished etc.. Then remembered my famine case study and how women and children got malnourished from not having any milk as herders killed their cattle for meat etc.. Is this right??

Glacial changes past present future Q idk what that even showed i've never been so stuck on a simple Q about a map etc but i noticed that the river changed direction so just said that and gave the direction etc? Is that okay? Is it even right??

Feed back on these would be hugely appreciated!! Just feel abit in the dark right now!! Thanks in advance!!
    It was in stage one, it has that typical concave shape. Stage 2 has a true pyramid shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naz.97)
    I made the same mistake! Lost 8 golden marks from the first 2 Qs on rivers. How did you guys miss the whole section
    so easily done.... which questions did you miss. although thats a stupid question, you wont be able to tell me as you missed them. :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, new to TSR!

Rivers

Describe the landforms resulting from fluvioerosion [4 marks]
    I talked about the waterfall present in the background and the potholes present in the foreground of the figure. and their size actually, portholes a few cm to metres in size.

Explain the formation of Waterfalls [4marks]
    Talked about varying geology, the rapid erosion of the weak rock / whatever creating a hard rock cap where water spills into the plunge pool eroding the shallow cave and undermining the hardcap and pushing the waterfall back forming a gorge also, (Included relevant erosion types where needed and also size measurements)

Explain how rejuvenation helps in the formation of river terraces [7 marks]
    Change in sea level compared to ground level via Isostatic uplift or Eustatic change, greater potential energy and thus vertical erosion being a more dominant process, causing rivers to cut more vertically aswell as laterally causing river terraces. FORGOT to mention about how it cuts into the existing flood plain.

Discuss, using two case studies how flooding has impacted two places ofcontrasting levels of development [15 marks]
    Talked about Cumbrian Floods December 2009, 316mm of rainfall over 24 hours at the Seawaith Farm water guage, 1 person killed, £226m damage, £176m insurance payout, tourism decrease with figures but forgot what I put, 300 bridges damaged (think this is totally blagged).

Cold Environments
    Give evidence from the photo that frostshattering is a process affecting this glacier (The Rockies) [3 marks]
    Angular Moraine mainly argued and the jagged valley sides

Explain how frost shattering is useful in creating fluvio glacial landforms [4 marks]
    Totally forgot what I put, talked about Corrie glacier and the steep back wall, and something else.

Some BS about a drainage graph; before during and after glaciation [3 marks]
    Said how the river changed position and flow direction and how the proglacial lake no longer exists due to a sentlement being in it on the figure. (Its not The Hobbit no floating towns sorry kids)

Explain the formation of meltwater channels[5 marks]
    ???? Erm the Ice melts? I talked about seasonal fluctuations and preasure melting at the base of the glacier, probably got it wrong though.

‘Antarctica is the last fragile wilderness’Discuss issues associated with it’s use [15 marks]

Ban on mining and drilling etc, restrictions to fishing with net sizes, quotas and what you can and cannot fish (Antarctic Rock Cod Depletion). Tourism and how its prevented and the threat they pose and also included human activity of some ship that has like 178k tonnes of fuel and 8000 litres of lubircant cant remember the figures.

Population
    Analyse the life expectancy data against wealth. [3 marks]
    Richer countries such as UK and USA have had slower longevity whereas poorer countries such as Bangladesh and Bolivia have had huge increase in life expectancy, and how India was a slight anomaly and not quite fitting the figure.

Discuss the relative usefulness of two pop indicators of development (pop density and life expectancy) [5 marks]
    Messed this up wheyy.

Examine the pop pyramid for Uganda in 2014 and if it continue to progress through the demographic transition, how will it be affected. [7 marks]
    Described how the population pyramid will progress through its different stages and what effect it will have on the pyramid.

Social Welfare Debate [15 marks]
    Used Coldhurst (Oldham) and Saddleworth South. Included figures such as Average salary, qualifications, life expectancy and the mix of population origins(?) Such as Coldhurst being 60.7% from a Bangladesh Descent etc. ALSO talked about how young dependants from Saddleworth south move in towards the city and rise the wealth of the area and drive the original people out who are poorer.

Health
    Describe the distribution of Ebola in West Africa using figure 8. [3 marks].
    How Sierra Leone was the worse effected, how there was 4 main areas of 501-5000 cases and how the disease was around the origin mainly and did not spread into northern Guinea and mainly East, West and south of the origin.

Comment on Ebola becoming a global concern with the help of figure 8. [5 marks]
    Global concern because of how infectious the disease is and how it has no vaccination or licensed treatment as stated in the figure. Also mentioned how it has already got into certain countries.

Explain why some areas suffer from widespread malnutrition. [7 marks]
    Talked about famine, result of droughts or war for example. Realised after the exam I probably should of brought in a case study to support my answer.

For non non-communicable disease, discuss the health, economic development and health impacts. [15 marks]
    Used CHD, 2.3m infected, 73k die every year, £16.7bn direct or something, how development funds were directed into it with a figure to support it but forgot what I put may of put soem more but ran out of time and didnt really finish this 15 marker because Im slow .

How did I do? Revised all weekend for it! D:

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for GEOG2 so far are...triangular graphs
    :confused::confused: Any additions to that?

ReputationRep:
    for the ncd question i didnt use ststistivs but ny answer was still good, what level would i get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amytse)
    what did someone write about for the 15 marker on coasts? I wrote about how salt marshes form and how it protects the beach? I GOT SO CONFUSED!!
    If I remember correctly, it talked about shorline management or something like that? I talked about Hornsea and how their adopted SMP was hold the line. Then simply talked about three of their main sea defenses, giving a positive and negative for each in terms of protection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    What u write, i wrote basically theirs only potential in MEDC where they can balance renewables and non renewables, then not LEDC burkina faso and middle east Oil??? WBu??????
    I compared sustainable energy methods in the UK. Personally chose Wind and solar. However, the question was extremely vague, so I reckon they'll be lenient.

ReputationRep:
    the 15 mark health q came ip in june 2011

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone's initial thoughts on the paper, easy? Hard?

Personally after doing last years exam I found this years resit to be a nicer paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogmeister)
    if your areas were contrasting then im pretty sure you shall get some marks, however not the top bands. Talking about pollution is relevant im pretty sure, as long as you did link it to higher density levels in the city. In my answer for this question, i talked about
    ethnicity, transport and the types of housing.
    Thank you so much, this has made me feel a bit better, I just hope I can get a few marks from level 1! Yeah I did do two contrasting areas and link it to population density so hopefully might get me one or two marks? Yeah when I looked it up it said that's what you should write about so I'm sure you will have done really well!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the special one_)
    agh sorry to hear that man.
    with my story, i was extremely lucky that all the 15 markers i knew well and hopefully accessed level 3 for all of them, however i ran out of time and didn't even bother looking at that rejuvination one cause i knew i was getting a straight 0, i don't know what river terraces are...... and the mass movement one's were so vague and weird so don't worry i left that blank too.
    luckily too i printed off notes for social welfare so it's like quality of environment, dereliction of building and pollution, levels of crime and drug abuse with academic levels of aspiration.

hope you still pass though g
    Nice, I wrote way too much for the waterfall question even though it was 4 marks and tried to write as much as I could for the terraces one but I didn't mention dominant vertical erosion so I know 7 marks is basically inaccessible now.
    I feel like the mass movement questions were so hard to answer, it was only 4 marks or something for the first bit on explaining but I had no idea how to answer it because it showed 2 types, and then I had absolutely no clue how they change the shape of a coastline!

for the population one I wrote an introduction then wrote about housing, income and deprivation for but that's it, and i didn't write it in any detail at all (maybe occupying about 6 lines only) and didn't even write a conclusion because I ran out of time! Same with the health section, I rushed through the short questions and the 15 marker so I don't think I've done well at all. I'm really disappointed because I've worked so hard this year and gotten As throughout the year but I just flopped it today
    oh well guess I'll just have to resit next year.

also thanks, it seems like you did well. I feel like I poured my heart out on the physical section and just messed up the human bit. I'm hoping I did super well on the physical bit to pull my marks up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyunicorn)
    for the population 15 marker i talked about the Isle of Purbeck in dorset which is undergoing rural depopulation and Brick Lane in london which is experiencing population growth but as the question asked for two 'settlements' does this mean it had to be two areas
    of a city or will the case studies i have used by ok?
    This is what I did! I think it should be fine because it just said two CONTRASTING settlements and they're both different as one is rural and one is urban, what factors did you write about relating to social welfare??

ReputationRep:
    What are rough grade boundaries??

ReputationRep:
    So for the population 15 markers, if you wrote about services in two different areas but linked them to the social welfare of the population of those areas (e.g. old people having care homes) it was wrong? I'm so confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucashamps369)
    What are rough grade boundaries??
    Lat years were 75/120 for an a and 48 for an E so they're pretty close together

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for last energy 15 marker?

ReputationRep:
    Good evening all!

Im new to TSR and here is what I put as my answers

RIVERS

1.)

(a) (i) (With picture of fluvial landforms). I put about waterfalls and potholes, saying how the waterfall was very rocky and had a steep back. I said the potholes were circular and had steep sides

(ii) (Waterfalls). I said that the river erodes soft rock underneath the waterfall, the overhang collapses and falls to create a plunge pool. I also gave some background info saying it is an upper course feature and it is formed due to erosion.

(b) (River Terraces). This was a horrible one! But I introduced what rejuventation was and said stuff about eustatic and isostatic change but I think I messed up

(c) (Flooding) did Boscastle and Bangladesh. I said the causes and the impacts

COASTS

(a) (i) (Mass Movement Diagram). I said about slumping but forgot to include landslides. I explained how slumping works by saying that sand sits on top of clay and thus provides a slippery surface.

(a) (ii) (Mass Movement and Landforms). I said slumping changes the shape of the cliff and then I linked it to Barton on Sea. I also said rock fall changes the shape of the cliff.

(b) (i) (Stack Diagram). I labelled it with stuff like vegetation, tall, rough edges etc

(b) (ii) (Stack Formation) I said hydraulic action erodes cliff but I forgot to add stuff like caves. I said the arch collapses although I worded this differently in the exam.

(c) (Coastal Management) I included Sefton Coast for my case study. I included stuff like Beach Nourishment and Dune Regeneration and put benefits such as regeneration of vegetation and reduced quad biking. The only relevant cost I put was that there was still erosion at Formby Point

POPULATION

(a) (i) (Table) I just described trends and included data

(ii) (Useful Indicators) I put life expectancy can show what provision of healthcare is like and population density could show birth rate??

(b) (Uganda) I put it was in Stage 2 and put that if it moved into Stage 3, life expectancy would increase and there would be less births. Top of pyramid would widen and bottom would become narrower.

(c) I linked Waterloo and Yateley and said about housing, ethnicity, provision of services etc

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what came just before the GM crops question on food ?

ReputationRep:
    Man that paper was lovely.
    I'm so happy rejuvenation came up, I'm a little annoyed about the population 15 marker as I was so sure ageing and youthful population was going to come up.

river 15 mark I kind of forgot my facts so I just generalised so it was only worth about 10 at most. Spoke about Boscastle and Pakistan but I felt the points were a bit ehhh.
    I almost started writing about what actually happened (causes) but I figured it wasn't actually asking this directly so I just mentioned short and long term impacts.

Coasts I didn't like the mass movement question as it was a bit vague but I spoke about the slumping of material towards the sea etc. The stack question was fine, basically outlined everything from wave cut notches to cavitation then onto arches and stacks.. the 15 marker I wrote about the Essex salt marshes and abbotts hall farm, costs and benefits of allowing reclamation etc.

Population was ok, Uganda question threw me off but mentioned it was stage 1 and said if it continued it would end up on stage 4 (and drew the pyramid for s4). 15 marker was horrible as I didn't expect it, just threw down some generalised facts.

The energy questions I loved, I'm a bit iffy with distribution questions like that, but I'm happy fuel wood came up, so I just spoke about Burkina Faso and solar cookers for the potential for sustainable energy supply.

All in all I answered every question, it's better to do that and gain a few marks than none at all. I may be optimistic but I think I only dropped around 30 marks or so..

Happy some stuff I predicted actually cane up too!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorta worried as I finished with 30 mins left, I did answer everything I just now hope I had the detail :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.