Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbliverpool)
    If I were to not get the grade I was hoping for in UNIT 1 (May 2016), is it still possible to retake it again next year with the same spec? (May 2017) Even though the spec is changing for September 2016?
    Yes, it is, I have spent a while looking over this following the poor performance of my maths exam yesterday. All AS and A-level legacy papers will be available for resits next year, fortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingal001)
    Yes, it is, I have spent a while looking over this following the poor performance of my maths exam yesterday. All AS and A-level legacy papers will be available for resits next year, fortunately.
    Probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a legacy paper? I'm assuming they're papers they come up with from the old spec for people (possibly me) who may have to retake?

ReputationRep:
    Probably sounds like a silly question, but what is a legacy paper? I'm assuming they're papers they come up with from the old spec for people (possibly me) who may have to retake?
    Legacy papers are all the subjects that have not yet transitioned into the new A-level system and so still have AS exams- like geography and also maths. Next year I believe there will no longer be any legacy papers, which is what led to my worry, but luckily legacy resits have been made available for 2017.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganLittle98)
    Then I would very briefly say how I did it, explaining the use of the formula, and if you can remember it maybe state your Spearman's rank value that you got when you did it?!
    Would we have to remember and write down the entire Spearman's Rank formula and method? Or just the general gist of it?
    So, for example could I just say that 'the calculation of Spearman's Rank involves ranking two sets of data and then working out the differences between them.'?

ReputationRep:
    If I were to not get the grade I was hoping for in UNIT 1 (May 2016), is it still possible to retake it again next year with the same spec? (May 2017) Even though the spec is changing for September 2016?
    yeah but there's a chance you'll be resitting with people who get B's this year and want A's, and shift grade boundaries because it'll only be year 13 taking that paper... no year 12's... so it'll be a lot harder
    of course you'll have people who failed too, though :P

ReputationRep:
    Haven't looked at previous comments. Anyone have any predictions for skills paper? Is spearmans rank likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrooveBomb)
    Would we have to remember and write down the entire Spearman's Rank formula and method? Or just the general gist of it?
    So, for example could I just say that 'the calculation of Spearman's Rank involves ranking two sets of data and then working out the differences between them.'?

I would say just the general gist because it's not going to be worth more than 8 marks, most likely 6 I would say!

(Original post by Cba_for_exams)
    Haven't looked at previous comments. Anyone have any predictions for skills paper? Is spearmans rank likely to come up?
    Spearman's rank hasnt appeared for a few years so maybe, but my teacher reckons dispersion diagrams! Standard deviation is highly unlikely because that was in last year's paper.

ReputationRep:
    HI
    How are people revising for the geog 2 paper ?? I was just thinking past papers

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Spearman's rank hasnt appeared for a few years so maybe, but my teacher reckons dispersion diagrams! Standard deviation is highly unlikely because that was in last year's paper.
    Cheers, my teacher just told me that she thinks triangular graphs could be a possibility

ReputationRep:
    I believe so yes - but obviously check with your teacher or find more information on the AQA website

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else feel like they've been given a bleak study to use? Our school basically split into groups, went and surveyed some roads for 10 different criteria (vandalism, potholes etc) and then compared this to the social and economic conditions of the residents? It seems everyone else has much to use within their rivers and population studies but ours does not have much to talk about, we didn't do a risk assessment so I'm supposing I'll have to make one up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emevxns)
    Does anyone else feel like they've been given a bleak study to use? Our school basically split into groups, went and surveyed some roads for 10 different criteria (vandalism, potholes etc) and then compared this to the social and economic conditions of the residents? It seems everyone else has much to use within their rivers and population studies but ours does not have much to talk about, we didn't do a risk assessment so I'm supposing I'll have to make one up?
    We haven't really done a risk assessment, aslong as you make it up and relate it to your specific study you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emevxns)
    Sounds pretty much the same as us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cba_for_exams)
    We haven't really done a risk assessment, aslong as you make it up and relate it to your specific study you should be fine.

For the risk assessment you can talk about traffic, say that you crossed at zebra crossings and staying in groups, having a map so that you dont get lost etc. It is obvious things that you have to put!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abigailj99)
    For the risk assessment you can talk about traffic, say that you crossed at zebra crossings and staying in groups, having a map so that you dont get lost etc. It is obvious things that you have to put!
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    What have you all used as a data presentation technique in your fieldwork investigation? As I've done bar charts but not sure if I would be able to explain in enough detail to get full marks on a question about it

ReputationRep:
    I would say just the general gist because it's not going to be worth more than 8 marks, most likely 6 I would say!

this is embarrassing but...whats a dispersion diagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colback98)
    this is embarrassing but...whats a dispersion diagram?
    Don't be embarrassed haha, http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...P-JUN14-CR.PDF

Page 6 figure 2!

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know the equations of standard deviation and spearman's rank or will we be given them in the exam??

ReputationRep:
    You get a chart and just fill it in appropriately. All equations are given

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.