Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Never mind i get it!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it defiantly physical (rivers) as it alternates every year and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure it was human last year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmarshall23)
    Does anyone know how many pairs of data you need to have for Spearman's rank??
    you need between 10 and 30 pieces of data for each variable

ReputationRep:
    Is a scatter graph a method of data presentation or data analysis? Because i've used it as a method of data presentation but now i'm not so sure, should I use a line graph instead as isn't it basically the same as a scatter graph? For data analysis i'm using spearmans rank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EME7)
    Isn't it defiantly physical (rivers) as it alternates every year and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure it was human last year?
    It was population last year, however they don't always stick to the change of theme each year! A couple years back there were two population papers in a row, but it's highly likely to be rivers

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't fret about the topic for question 1 - there are usually 5-6 marks in more recent years available for your population/rivers knowledge, and the rest is pure skills.

For those who haven't seen it, jump back to THIS post for my tips for question 2.

If you cba to do any past papers, I would suggest going through all the past papers (http://tiny.cc/unit2ppqs) looking for questions where they ask you to comment on the usefulness of different techniques to display data. Why, you ask? I've found some of the possible answers to be really obscure, so I suggest just getting a feel for what they'd like to see...e.g. Jun12 1 (c) or Jun14 1 (a) (ii)

ReputationRep:
    If there's a question about Underpinning geographical theory for the fieldwork section, and we did the bradshaw model would I be able to draw a diagram of it to help explain it? Or would that be a complete waste of time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_wild7)
    Rivers!!
    Thanks babes x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=EME7;64963155]Isn't it defiantly physical (rivers) as it alternates every year and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure it was human last year?[/QUOTE

Yes was human last year, i did it so im resitting rhis year :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenloops)
    Is a scatter graph a method of data presentation or data analysis? Because i've used it as a method of data presentation but now i'm not so sure, should I use a line graph instead as isn't it basically the same as a scatter graph? For data analysis i'm using spearmans rank.
    Data analysis i think

ReputationRep:
    I've just done my data analysis (spearman's rank) and I have to accept the null hypothesis :/ can I just make up results instead?

ReputationRep:
    Will someone explain the significance of standard deviation and what a value for your answer could be interpreted as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnyaS)
    I've just done my data analysis (spearman's rank) and I have to accept the null hypothesis :/ can I just make up results instead?
    yes you usually just have to give the spearmans rank value, so i made mine 0.759 so that it just shows it is strong posi correlation rather than using my actual value and accepting null hypothesis

ReputationRep:
    Basically - standard deviation shows how much the result deviate from the mean - so say your SD is 130, it means the data goes 130 over the mean and 130 under the mean. This shows a high SD which shows the data has a big variation in results. There was a q for it in a population one - to do with house prices. A big variation in house prices may mean that lots of different styles of houses are available - big detached homes (expensive) or small 1 bed bungalows (cheap) - hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I posted it by accident instead of replying

ReputationRep:
    I also got the null hypothesis, but was still going to use it. Would this also be okay? Would you be marked down for getting bad results? (My spearmans rank showed no correlation between river discharge and channel roughness). I don't want to make it up and have possible holes in my answers when using other figures etc. Woudn't it make it easier to answer a question on how to improve the fieldwork if you got a null hypothesis as well? E.g. Gather data from more sites

ReputationRep:
    Right ive seen all the predictions etc but rather be fully prepared.

How could I answer how my enquiry improved my understanding of the topic area? (did bradshaws model and rivers)
    Also if asked about how ict could be used what could i say?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    If anybody would like some Help with any aspect of UNIT 2 then please reply to this.
    I have lots of documents and powerpoints covering data presentation and chi squared etc

ReputationRep:
    How is ICT Used in geography ?D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_wild7)
    If anybody would like some Help with any aspect of UNIT 2 then please reply to this.
    I have lots of documents and powerpoints covering data presentation and chi squared etc
    my teacher told me today chi squared was for A2 and not us this year? Does it depend on which fieldwork you carried out?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.