Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zar16)
    Any help on energy guys?? Me and my friends predict for rivers, it's more likely going to be a medc-ledc flooding 15 mark, populations more of a youthful/ageing population comparison. Not really sure for cold environments and energy though😕
    I think cold environments 15 marker could be something to do with the conflicts between developments and the wellbeing of the environment/local populations !

ReputationRep:
    any predictions for food supply guyssss

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any rivers/coasts predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions for the skills paper (Geog 2) ? Rivers or population for the initial questions? Any predictions for specific topics or fieldwork questions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cold Environment Perdictions:

1.Explain Mass Balance of Galciers and why they are advancing or retreating. (4)
    2.Explain how a corrie forms (7)
    3.Explain how ice moves (4)
    4.To what extent is there sustainability between the people and environment of Alaska? (15)

ReputationRep:
    Was only 66/120 for an A last year, madness:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceyBoy)
    Was only 66/120 for an A last year, madness:eek:
    i got 54 last year, 4 marks more in each section would of been an A giving it a go this year to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    i got 54 last year, 4 marks more in each section would of been an A giving it a go this year to!

ahhh so close, I'm in year 13 too, had to pick up geography for an extra AS. Grade boundaries seem really low but don't want to jinx myself, have quite a few clever mates who just missed out on an A last year. Good luck though mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zar16)
    Any help on energy guys?? Me and my friends predict for rivers, it's more likely going to be a medc-ledc flooding 15 mark, populations more of a youthful/ageing population comparison. Not really sure for cold environments and energy though😕
    Think energy may be something to do with the Geopolitics of energy, designing homes and work for sustainability and something on renewable forms of energy.

For glaciation, probably a question on Alaska / antartica and maybe formation of Corrie or something fluvioglacial - kames / outwash plains?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceyBoy)
    ahhh so close, I'm in year 13 too, had to pick up geography for an extra AS. Grade boundaries seem really low but don't want to jinx myself, have quite a few clever mates who just missed out on an A last year. Good luck though mate
    You too!! Take my warning it really isnt as easy and as the grades make it seem

ReputationRep:
    What is meant by implications of social welfare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucytoo288)
    What is meant by implications of social welfare?
    Basically things that affect the stuff mentioned in the definition of social welfare, for example, those living in a rural area like Longhorsley may feel isolated because there are no transport links since 97% of the population own a car, which makes it difficult for those without a car in other areas to visit family or friends in Longhorsely.

Those living in an urban area like Byker may experience racism or social segregation, since 5.4% of the population is ethnic. This could affect social welfare because ethnic minorities may not feel safe enough to practice their own religion freely.

They asked this question a few years ago so I wouldn't worry!

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried for unit 2 as I'm resitting !Does anyone have any predictions as to which topic question 1 will be on?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ideas for Unit 2? Other than triangular graphs, thanks. Will it based on population or rivers this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hisabella)
    Rejuvenation occurs when a river has renewed potential energy, due to a change in base level in relation to river height. It can occur due to Isostatic (local) changes like a land uplift , or Eustatic (global) changes like a fall in sea level. Due to these changes, the river has a further distance to decrease from source to base, and so gains potential energy. Potential energy leads to vertical erosion becoming the dominant process. This (often rapid) vertical erosion, can lead to landforms such as knick points, river terraces and incised meanders. Hope this helps, it takes a while to get your head around but once you do, it stays!
    Yes that's amazing thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting Geog2 and I'm really not feeling good about it! I've done past papers but I don't do that well, especially in the first section. Any help or tips would be much appreciated?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typicalvirgo)
    Basically things that affect the stuff mentioned in the definition of social welfare, for example, those living in a rural area like Longhorsley may feel isolated because there are no transport links since 97% of the population own a car, which makes it difficult for those without a car in other areas to visit family or friends in Longhorsely.

Those living in an urban area like Byker may experience racism or social segregation, since 5.4% of the population is ethnic. This could affect social welfare because ethnic minorities may not feel safe enough to practice their own religion freely.

They asked this question a few years ago so I wouldn't worry!
    Aww thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Nearly the day before the exam... I've signed up to The Student Room to see what other people are thinking!

Reading through this thread, I think it's important to point something out: the questions where they state 'using a case study' / 'with reference to one case study' etc. can only refer to one of the case studies they have specifically set out in the specification. There is a requirement to study 4 for Rivers, 4 for Population, and I'm doing Coasts which requires 4, and Energy which states 2.
    So why can't I just get away with revising them? Well, to a certain extent, you probably could, but it is so much easier to access Level 3 with support (a word they use a lot in mark schemes).
    Minimum case studies - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2030-W-CSG.PDF
    Note that anything else you use or study is an example, not a case study in its own right. I have lots of examples of each type of sustainable energy, and the effects rising sea level would have on a few coast lines around the globe - they're not case studies though.

I noticed some talk about ageing/youthful populations possibly coming up in a 15-marker - it certainly could so, but you would be expected to provide support and examples for your points. This is because not everyone will study a full on case study, as my school studies China and then a choice of France, Norway or Sweden for our two population management strategies.
    I just wanted to share an answer I did earlier this year for a June 2012 question. My teacher is an examiner, and said he marked this very paper... but I'm not trying to point out the mark, and I also made some grammatical mistakes in the hurry to write it! My point is to have a read of the mark scheme, especially where it says for L3, "Exemplification is used to support answers". You must have the theory grounding, then throw in short and snappy facts - you don't need too many!
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7tejcxqh...5BbletTsa?dl=0

Here's one for energy too, again that was looking for "support" and a focus "on co-operation with necessary exemplar material". I didn't examine 'to what extent' well enough, but none of this detail was 'case study' - it's short, easy to learn facts.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqz12v1ph...g6tbXDA0a?dl=0

My best advice? Theoretical knowledge comes first, then really nailing your case studies; then you throw in the exemplar material to get yourself into L3. Without the basic understanding of what an ageing/youthful population does though, you can't even get into Level 1!

ReputationRep:
    if anyone has any predictions for population, health and rivers (and deserts if anyone does it) that I didn't include please do, I don't want to cover the whole course today only specifics.

I think it's like

Population:
    - youthful population
    - managing population

Health:
    - Local health case study
    - Famine or Obesity
    - CHD

Rivers:
    - Hjulstrom
    - Rejuvenation
    - Flooding case study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TigWood)
    Hey,

Is there any predictions for Rivers 15 marker. Energy 15 marker and Coasts 15 marker?

Hi, have you got any predictions for energy?? Or rivers? Thanks!x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.