Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack_wild7)
    High for both papers i think, probably 68-70 for paper 1 and 39 for paper 2 for A
    Thats quite high...

ReputationRep:
    not too sure, but i think that the whole map was middle course as thats where meanders occur
    Hopefully I will gain 2-3 marks :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1612)
    Thats quite high...
    Thats only what i think though, don't be worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph1612)
    What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like this year?
    Last year was
    A B C D
    1. GEOG1 GEOGRAPHY UNIT 1 - 66 59 52 46
      GEOG2 GEOGRAPHY UNIT 2 - 36 32 28 24
    and i think this year was a lot easier so....

ReputationRep:
    I think something along the lines of:

Unit 1:
    69-A 61-B 54-C 47-D

Unit 2
    36-A 30-B 27-C 21-D

ReputationRep:
    Thats only what i think though, don't be worried
    Hopefully they'll be considerate as we're the last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melinalouise)
    but 0.83 is higher than 0.5 and 0.7, so the decimal places aren't needed?
    Yeah it is, tbh I think I may have wrote the decimal places I cannot really remember...

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries are going to be higher than those predictions, around 77 for an A because easier papers in the past, such as June 2013 had 75 marks for an A :////

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think I messed up in the 8 marker and only went into detail about impermeable surface and relief but stated the extensive rain being the reason for the steep rising limb and then the other rising limb due to the slower water which was intercepted by trees getting to the river and it lasted 44 hours. Do you reckon that's I've lost a lot of marks for a lack of detail?

ReputationRep:
    For some reason i got the Spearmans Rank wrong, i got something silly like 0.12 so messed up the two marks after. However, i did get the ranks and stuff right.
    Pretty sure everything else was solid so dont feel too bad!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, This is MY unofficial mark scheme (basically how i answered it) so you could compare yours with mine.

My fieldwork was finding out whether the deposits were from a glacial or fluvioglacial origin. So my second section will be about that.

1) a)Describe the changes of the river between 2 points (5 marks)

What I Put:
    Near the start theres a large distinctive meander and the floodplain is relatively flat (gave height)
    Middle section is a lot straighter and has very steep valley sides also surrounded by forrest
    Last section is again less sinuous and has a steep side to its East and relatively flat valley side to the West where the village was.
    Must use and reference grid squares.

b) describe the pattern of the 2011 discharge graph (4 marks)
    Overall pattern- starts high and decreases nearer summer months then rises again
    Mentioned the lowest point of discharge in August and wrote discharge (thin it was 2m3/sec)
    Mentioned the peak discharge in Feb at just under 200m3/sec..
    Also talked about relativey calm period between March and April with no sudden rises in discharge.

2) a) plot points on graph (2 marks)
    Self explanatory, remember to use pencil (sharp) an use correct x axis scale.

b) use the info to explain the hydrograph (8 marks)
    Talked about the fact the area is prone to flooding hence the large amount of rainfall, because it can reach 100-1100 mm over UK average
    Short lag time due to impermeable surfaces and steep valley sides. also link high discharge due to 7 tributaries which would increase main channel discharge very quickly.
    Slow recovery period due to poor soil drainage.

3)a) spearmans rank calculations (4 marks)
    Answer should be 0.83 (2.dp)

b) what does that value show about significance (2 marks)
    value was over 0.1 significance meaning we can be 99.9 % sure that it wasn't a statistical fluke, thus leading to a rejection in the null hypothesis.

Part 2

1) select two of the points and say how they were part of your preparation for investigation (risk assessment, pilot study, sampling and geographical research) (6 marks)

I chose risk assessment and geographical theory
    I wrote about how a risk assessment is important to do before hand to make sure we were fully prepared for any problems that were to occur,, gave example.
    For geog research i wrote about how its important to understand the aim before we went so we knew what to look for when we were there. also prepare secondary research to be able to compare our primary results after and during.

2) sketch map (5 marks)
    Lets just say when i saw the word 'sketch' in the corner of my eye, i got slightly excited and reached for the pencil sharpener!!! I went to town on this.
    Make sure you labelled key characteristics of the area (e.g hanging valley), drew contour lines, highlighted study area, gave a north reference, scale and wrote title.
    Easy 5 marks

3) limitation of one data collection method (3 marks)
    i said how using powers roundness to measure the clasts roundness is subjective and is based upon personal perception. one person's opinions on the roundness or angularity of a pebble may differ from another's. therefore it could be said to be biased and unreliable.

4) describe your data presentation (5 marks)
    i described how i created my bar chart graph for powers roundness.
    1) drew axis, x and y and explained what i labelled them etc
    2) used results to draw the bars
    3) wrote title so anyone reading it can see what its about
    4) annotated it by saying the modal group etc

5) to what extent did your findings match/support your theory (6 marks)

In theory
    Glacial- orientation to glacier direction of movement, angular and larger
    Fluvioglacial- random orientation, more rounded and smaller
    I explained briefly why also
    Then used my own data to back up our conclusion
    Summerised by saying our results were very strong in terms of being geographically correct, and then i mentioned a small anomalie

Total 50

If you were marking what i had done, what mark would you say i would get??
    If you have any questions about any of the above reply to this message.

Any thumbs up would be appreciated.

I agree with most of what you've said for section A, although for section B I studied Psammosere succession (vegetation succession on sand dunes).
    Although for the significance of Spearman's, 0.01 means 1% not 0.1% so you can be 99% confident with the correlation, thus you can reject the null.

ReputationRep:
    For the first question on the os map does anyone know which direction the river was flowing from, was the urban area and wood closer to source or the other way around?

ReputationRep:
    because were the last ones are we allowed to resit units?

ReputationRep:
    I know I got the rejuvenation question wrong on Geog 1 :/ I was also a bit rookie on the case study facts too... Today's exam went well apart from the first question -_- I only spoke about the meander and height of land....

ReputationRep:
    Last year was
    A B C D
    1. GEOG1 GEOGRAPHY UNIT 1 - 66 59 52 46
      GEOG2 GEOGRAPHY UNIT 2 - 36 32 28 24
    and i think this year was a lot easier so....
    Are these percentages?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, This is MY unofficial mark scheme (basically how i answered it) so you could compare yours with mine.

My fieldwork was finding out whether the deposits were from a glacial or fluvioglacial origin. So my second section will be about that.

1) a)Describe the changes of the river between 2 points (5 marks)

What I Put:
    Near the start theres a large distinctive meander and the floodplain is relatively flat (gave height)
    Middle section is a lot straighter and has very steep valley sides also surrounded by forrest
    Last section is again less sinuous and has a steep side to its East and relatively flat valley side to the West where the village was.
    Must use and reference grid squares.

b) describe the pattern of the 2011 discharge graph (4 marks)
    Overall pattern- starts high and decreases nearer summer months then rises again
    Mentioned the lowest point of discharge in August and wrote discharge (thin it was 2m3/sec)
    Mentioned the peak discharge in Feb at just under 200m3/sec..
    Also talked about relativey calm period between March and April with no sudden rises in discharge.

2) a) plot points on graph (2 marks)
    Self explanatory, remember to use pencil (sharp) an use correct x axis scale.

b) use the info to explain the hydrograph (8 marks)
    Talked about the fact the area is prone to flooding hence the large amount of rainfall, because it can reach 100-1100 mm over UK average
    Short lag time due to impermeable surfaces and steep valley sides. also link high discharge due to 7 tributaries which would increase main channel discharge very quickly.
    Slow recovery period due to poor soil drainage.

3)a) spearmans rank calculations (4 marks)
    Answer should be 0.83 (2.dp)

b) what does that value show about significance (2 marks)
    value was over 0.1 significance meaning we can be 99.9 % sure that it wasn't a statistical fluke, thus leading to a rejection in the null hypothesis.

Part 2

1) select two of the points and say how they were part of your preparation for investigation (risk assessment, pilot study, sampling and geographical research) (6 marks)

I chose risk assessment and geographical theory
    I wrote about how a risk assessment is important to do before hand to make sure we were fully prepared for any problems that were to occur,, gave example.
    For geog research i wrote about how its important to understand the aim before we went so we knew what to look for when we were there. also prepare secondary research to be able to compare our primary results after and during.

2) sketch map (5 marks)
    Lets just say when i saw the word 'sketch' in the corner of my eye, i got slightly excited and reached for the pencil sharpener!!! I went to town on this.
    Make sure you labelled key characteristics of the area (e.g hanging valley), drew contour lines, highlighted study area, gave a north reference, scale and wrote title.
    Easy 5 marks

3) limitation of one data collection method (3 marks)
    i said how using powers roundness to measure the clasts roundness is subjective and is based upon personal perception. one person's opinions on the roundness or angularity of a pebble may differ from another's. therefore it could be said to be biased and unreliable.

4) describe your data presentation (5 marks)
    i described how i created my bar chart graph for powers roundness.
    1) drew axis, x and y and explained what i labelled them etc
    2) used results to draw the bars
    3) wrote title so anyone reading it can see what its about
    4) annotated it by saying the modal group etc

5) to what extent did your findings match/support your theory (6 marks)

In theory
    Glacial- orientation to glacier direction of movement, angular and larger
    Fluvioglacial- random orientation, more rounded and smaller
    I explained briefly why also
    Then used my own data to back up our conclusion
    Summerised by saying our results were very strong in terms of being geographically correct, and then i mentioned a small anomalie

Total 50

If you were marking what i had done, what mark would you say i would get??
    If you have any questions about any of the above reply to this message.

Any thumbs up would be appreciated.

Well thank you for taking the time to compose a an unofficial mark scheme, let me help you out though
    - Firstly you missed out that there was a v-shaped valley on the very first question, place names provide a suitable reference point for the examiner in addition to 6 figure grid references.
    - On 2b, you forgot to mention peak rainfall which is constitutional of the average rainfall figures provided in the exam
    -On 3b you can only be 99 percent sure never 99.9 percent, thats only found on carex soap
    -On the sketch map question, detail was key to all 5 marks, for example evidence that you have actually visited the site, like names of places, references and communications, like roads, car parks etc. A title is not explicitly necessary unless you are a show off!
    - Your data presentation method was fairly basic, using a bar chart method you could only have scored a maximum of 4, sorry(

Otherwise not a bad effort, i cant comment too much on your investigative work because i carried out a different investigation to you, but otherwise like me you should look forward to a grade A at results day!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanLinton)
    because were the last ones are we allowed to resit units?
    Yeah - i'm planning to resist if i dont get an A 😕

ReputationRep:
    Today was so much better (obviously)

I just missed out 2 questions, the first one because I literally had no clue plus the 2 marker after Spearmans Rank

I'm hoping that if I've not done as horribly as I thought I have on the first exam, I might just scrape a good grade...

ReputationRep:
    basically I feel like i didnt do enough detail in that 8 marker and the first question and thatll drag me down

ReputationRep:
    For the first question i wrote about how channelization occurred in the town

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.