Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M&A Analyst AMA Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    That means so much, thank you for the kind words!! :'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You won't believe how many interns do stupid things though. When I was interning, there was one guy who hardly talked to me or anyone else, and there was another guy who spent an hour eating lunch every day. I can't believe it, but somehow the bank let him complete his internship fully before telling him that he had no chance in hell of getting an offer
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayed0123)
    I've heard from friends that boutiques work their first year analysts even harder than at BBs but it really depends on the bank. Honestly, I think analyst experience at a BB is by far the best route to take since you work on bigger deals and will have a bigger network (more analysts) for future career opportunities. From what I've seen, exit opps are also better. However, the benefits of boutiques is that you'll be gaining more responsibility and will be involved more as an analyst. the culture also plays a big part.
    Fantastic, thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You won't believe how many interns do stupid things though. When I was interning, there was one guy who hardly talked to me or anyone else, and there was another guy who spent an hour eating lunch every day. I can't believe it, but somehow the bank let him complete his internship fully before telling him that he had no chance in hell of getting an offer
    LOOOOOOL.. I'm surprised people like that make it through the interview process to be honest.

I remember one of my banker buds telling me about this intern who would stay up until 3-4am everyday, not doing work or anything, just staying in the office for the hell of it. My friend said 'he must have read all of those a day in the life of an analyst stories and thought it was normal to show face time even if all the faces weren't even there anymore' looool.

The intern also didn't get a return offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are your top tips for interns?

ReputationRep:
    In here like :ninja: Some nice Qs flying around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    what are your top tips for interns?
    Be sociable, learn a lot and just don't **** anything up. That's it, really. Some banks I've heard are more competitive and only accept the best interns but at my bank around half the interns got an offer, so you have good chances as long as you work hard and do every task correctly. Make sure that you talk to the senior analysts and network as much as you can to make them like you. And don't be an arrogant guy who thinks that he needs to all cut-throat and aggressive to secure an offer- that's the last type of person we'd want to hire.

ReputationRep:
    Be sociable, learn a lot and just don't **** anything up. That's it, really. Some banks I've heard are more competitive and only accept the best interns but at my bank around half the interns got an offer, so you have good chances as long as you work hard and do every task correctly. Make sure that you talk to the senior analysts and network as much as you can to make them like you. And don't be an arrogant guy who thinks that he needs to all cut-throat and aggressive to secure an offer- that's the last type of person we'd want to hire.
    sweet, i've done an m&a internship before, and i'm going into my penultimate year internship now.. from your personal opinion, would you expect me to deliver a lot more than an intern with no m&a exp, given a relative judgement of experience.

also in terms of the etiquette's of lunch/dinner etc.. what would you recommend? i saw you said it's a no no for interns to take one hour lunches. last year when i literally had nothing going on, or was waiting for feedback on slides etc.. which i knew might take a while, i would just go out for a while/ or go to the canteen to eat dinner.

given this year would be the year i'd be competing for an actual analyst contract would you just say be at the desk all the time?

thanks for your time btw

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your kind input, it is truly amazing to hear that the seniorsoffer great support towards the analyst and help them develop.

I am wondering if you could tell me about why you choose M&A instead ofECM or DCM? Also do you have any tips towards applying for spring weeksincluding what types of curriculum are recruiters interested?

Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    X
    what unis and courses have your fellow workmates gone to?

ReputationRep:
    LOL. This is pretty normal in most jobs, unless you have a very hectic calendar. During the last week of nice weather, I've had my lunch outside and gone for a walk afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmaths)
    what unis and courses have your fellow workmates gone to?
    They've gone to all sorts of courses. A lot do economics, maths and accounting though. Doesn't really mean anything since banks hire from all degree disciplines. Most of them are from very prestigious unis- Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, Nottingham and Durham are some examples.

ReputationRep:
    They've gone to all sorts of courses. A lot do economics, maths and accounting though. Doesn't really mean anything since banks hire from all degree disciplines. Most of them are from very prestigious unis- Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, Nottingham and Durham are some examples.
    ah right, do you feel theres any preferred degrees? And which are most popular?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    ah right, do you feel theres any preferred degrees? And which are most popular?
    I mean he did say 'it doesn't mean anything' and 'banks recruit from all degree disciplines'. We've been over this before, do the degree you find the most interesting there's no need to use your degree choice as an appeal to a bank, they're not the ones doing it for 3-4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mean he did say 'it doesn't mean anything' and 'banks recruit from all degree disciplines'. We've been over this before, do the degree you find the most interesting there's no need to use your degree choice as an appeal to a bank, they're not the ones doing it for 3-4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh ok sorry yeah i guess thats true. I think what i mean is doe they prefer more mathematical courses or more like the econ/A&F courses... obviously that isnt the case lol
    I meant what was popular in OPs workplace, just wanted to see what kind of degrees people have. You know, just a general jist.

Note that i acknowledge im being a little irrational
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    oh ok sorry yeah i guess thats true. I think what i mean is doe they prefer more mathematical courses or more like the econ/A&F courses... obviously that isnt the case lol
    I meant what was popular in OPs workplace, just wanted to see what kind of degrees people have. You know, just a general jist.

Note that i acknowledge im being a little irrational
    Ya don't say.. ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What's the European grad to UK grad split in IBD at your bank? I've heard everywhere from they're the minority (30-45%) to they're the majority (60-70%+).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ya don't say.. ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cant help it, im always like that. Wish i was a bit more of a practical thinker lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    LOL. This is pretty normal in most jobs, unless you have a very hectic calendar. During the last week of nice weather, I've had my lunch outside and gone for a walk afterwards.
    indeed, 45 minutes for lunch is so common in most jobs! some people may extend it to 1h sometimes and that's again very tolerable!

what kind of employer fires someone for that? they could just tell him the exact time for break they want him to do and I am sure he would comply!

I smell horrible corporate culture and being full of frightened kiddies who live for the money, not many would stay at a workplace like that
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    indeed, 45 minutes for lunch is so common in most jobs! some people may extend it to 1h sometimes and that's again very tolerable!

what kind of employer fires someone for that? they could just tell him the exact time for break they want him to do and I am sure he would comply!

I smell horrible corporate culture and being full of frightened kiddies who live for the money, not many would stay at a workplace like that
    Standard studos response.. Banks don't have regimented break times, but it's very noticeable if someone takes the mickey with how long they're away when they're supposed to be doing work.. Especially so if they're on an internship programme where they're being assessed for a return offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are you talking about, is 1h that long, if your day is going to be 15h?

even in my second job, we are entitled an 1h lunch break and regular 10min breaks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.