Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Do you know anyone at your firm that has transferred to an FO role after starting at a Big 4 accounting firm?
    No, but it is possible and I don't know everyone at my bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayed0123)
    No, but it is possible and I don't know everyone at my bank.
    Would you say Big 4 audit is the best alternative to IB if you couldn't get any internships?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say Big 4 audit is the best alternative to IB if you couldn't get any internships?
    I'm not sure. I will ask someone who knows more about this and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    It appears that the hires our bank makes from the Big Four are from the transaction advisory services line and not from audit, although you can transfer. This is because we often work with them on deals (they do a lot of due diligence-type work). Making the switch from the big4 to an investment bank is quite difficult from what I've heard and requires you to make connections with the bankers you're working with. In other words, you'll need to gain some contacts and it does not seem like a swift process, although it does happen.

You can apply to banking internships in your final year, despite what they tell you, so make sure you've exhausted that option first.

ReputationRep:
    Does your girlfriend work in banking? How did you meet her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swervybang)
    Does your girlfriend work in banking? How did you meet her
    My fiancée works in sales at an investment bank. We met at university.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That double banking income 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you live together? How do you find it being in a relationship with effectively another banker - does she want to stick it out long-term also? I've always felt like it would not work so well but would be nice to be proved wrong...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Do you live together? How do you find it being in a relationship with effectively another banker - does she want to stick it out long-term also? I've always felt like it would not work so well but would be nice to be proved wrong...
    Also interested. Especially about the challenges OP faces in this kind of relationship and how to make it work.

Can definitely see myself dating another career driven person..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's an okay alternative. It's a pretty good career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    We have lived together for about two months now in a small apartment in outer London but we have been in a relationship for two and a half years so we know each other well. My fiancée would also like to continue with her sales career for as long as possible- we are still both very young (22) so it will be a while until we start thinking about having kids.

I don't feel like us both being bankers has greatly affected our relationship. Despite the hours that both of us work, we still have time to eat at a restaurant at least once a week, go the cinema, chat about life, plan a wedding (with assistance) and sometimes have some time left over to pursue hobbies. The trick is in managing your time. My fiancée gets the weekends off and on Sunday we both have time to go to church.

There are times when the pressure of the job gets to your head and when you think about how the future is going to pan out (the wedding date, having children, buying a home, paying for stuff) and that adds even more stress. And there are times when I have to work extreme hours and won't be able to see her much which upsets me greatly. Luckily those moments aren't as common as most people outside banking think. But the most important thing by far is that you love one another (I know that sounds really corny but it's the truth) and that you share similar ambitions and interests. I'm lucky to have met the girl of my dreams (again, sorry for the cliché phrase) and I'm also lucky in the sense that I met her so early in my life.

I know this reply is a bit on the vague side but if there are any specific things you want me to address then I'm happy to answer them when I have some time. It's not that busy at this time of year for me!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We have lived together for about two months now in a small apartment in outer London but we have been in a relationship for two and a half years so we know each other well. My fiancée would also like to continue with her sales career for as long as possible- we are still both very young (22) so it will be a while until we start thinking about having kids.

I don't feel like us both being bankers has greatly affected our relationship. Despite the hours that both of us work, we still have time to eat at a restaurant at least once a week, go the cinema, chat about life, plan a wedding (with assistance) and sometimes have some time left over to pursue hobbies. The trick is in managing your time. My fiancée gets the weekends off and on Sunday we both have time to go to church.

There are times when the pressure of the job gets to your head and when you think about how the future is going to pan out (the wedding date, having children, buying a home, paying for stuff) and that adds even more stress. And there are times when I have to work extreme hours and won't be able to see her much which upsets me greatly. Luckily those moments aren't as common as most people outside banking think. But the most important thing by far is that you love one another (I know that sounds really corny but it's the truth) and that you share similar ambitions and interests. I'm lucky to have met the girl of my dreams (again, sorry for the cliché phrase) and I'm also lucky in the sense that I met her so early in my life.

I know this reply is a bit on the vague side but if there are any specific things you want me to address then I'm happy to answer them when I have some time. It's not that busy at this time of year for me!
    WOW - best post I have seen in a while on this subforum.

Bravo, seriously. For one, finding a partner who fully gets the whole situation and secondly, for the sacrifice you guys make to still see each other despite otherwise adverse pressures against your time. Wish the very best for you both going forward, and best of luck with the wedding

A few follow ups, what would your top 5 bits of advice be to someone heading into uni about relationships/dating? Based on people you know in IBD, where would one normally go to meet members of the opposite sex (or same sex for those so inclined)? And, do you see yourselves staying in London to settle or would you ever be open to moving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

There is hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    WOW - best post I have seen in a while on this subforum.

Bravo, seriously. For one, finding a partner who fully gets the whole situation and secondly, for the sacrifice you guys make to still see each other despite otherwise adverse pressures against your time. Wish the very best for you both going forward, and best of luck with the wedding

A few follow ups, what would your top 5 bits of advice be to someone heading into uni about relationships/dating? Based on people you know in IBD, where would one normally go to meet members of the opposite sex (or same sex for those so inclined)? And, do you see yourselves staying in London to settle or would you ever be open to moving?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1) Don't worry too much about aggressively looking for someone to date. You'll find someone eventually. If you want to focus solely on your studies, that's fine as well.
    2) Personally, I never bothered with clubbing and meeting potential girlfriends at house parties. Instead, join societies and go to their social events- that way you'll find someone who you share an interest with.
    3) Don't make dating a massive part of your life at this stage. Make sure you focus on making new friends as well and creating that network! (This pretty much the same as point 1 aha).
    4) Quality over quantity- don't bother with anyone you know you're not going to have a future with. Personally, I dated very few people before I found the one. I've never been the kind of guy who goes out all the time, gets a different girl every week etc. My friends who are still no closer to a long term relationship than they were at the start of uni.
    5) Nothing else to it, really. I'm not a dating expert or coach by any means and neither is my fiancée- were just lucky in the sense we found each other so early and I'm thankful for that everyday.

To be honest, very few guys in IBD actually date other girls at their bank. They tend to go for online dating services, people they meet at clubs, and some of them don't bother with dating at this stage in their career. For people who are gay there's always LGBT networks at banks and the usual methods like online dating, etc...

My fiancée and I are both completely committed to staying in the Greater London area. We really aren't open to moving anywhere else because:
    1) All the good UK banking jobs are in London.
    2) We are both Londoners and both my family and my fiancée's family lives around here.
    3) London is a great city to live in despite the high prices! Especially if you're a foodie like us, you can't go wrong with London.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    1) Don't worry too much about aggressively looking for someone to date. You'll find someone eventually. If you want to focus solely on your studies, that's fine as well.
    2) Personally, I never bothered with clubbing and meeting potential girlfriends at house parties. Instead, join societies and go to their social events- that way you'll find someone who you share an interest with.
    3) Don't make dating a massive part of your life at this stage. Make sure you focus on making new friends as well and creating that network! (This pretty much the same as point 1 aha).
    4) Quality over quantity- don't bother with anyone you know you're not going to have a future with. Personally, I dated very few people before I found the one. I've never been the kind of guy who goes out all the time, gets a different girl every week etc. My friends who are still no closer to a long term relationship than they were at the start of uni.
    5) Nothing else to it, really. I'm not a dating expert or coach by any means and neither is my fiancée- were just lucky in the sense we found each other so early and I'm thankful for that everyday.

To be honest, very few guys in IBD actually date other girls at their bank. They tend to go for online dating services, people they meet at clubs, and some of them don't bother with dating at this stage in their career. For people who are gay there's always LGBT networks at banks and the usual methods like online dating, etc...

My fiancée and I are both completely committed to staying in the Greater London area. We really aren't open to moving anywhere else because:
    1) All the good UK banking jobs are in London.
    2) We are both Londoners and both my family and my fiancée's family lives around here.
    3) London is a great city to live in despite the high prices! Especially if you're a foodie like us, you can't go wrong with London.
    Fantastic, thanks for the pointers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What would you do if you were fired due to market conditions?

ReputationRep:
    whats the social side of banking like, do u have a lot of free time or very little, also how easy is it to stay in contact with ur friends if u do work a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serions871)
    What would you do if you were fired due to market conditions?
    I'm a first year analyst so I'm not sure if I'll be the one getting fired. I could move to another bank or a boutique.

(Original post by Joseph_1028)
    whats the social side of banking like, do u have a lot of free time or very little, also how easy is it to stay in contact with ur friends if u do work a lot
    I have very little time compared to people working in other jobs.
    I try to stay in contact with friends.
    The social side is pretty good- we go to restaurants/bars sometimes. I don't always have time for it though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year analyst so I'm not sure if I'll be the one getting fired. I could move to another bank or a boutique.

I have very little time compared to people working in other jobs.
    I try to stay in contact with friends.
    The social side is pretty good- we go to restaurants/bars sometimes. I don't always have time for it though.
    Is there an initial probation period like 3 months untill the job is officially safe?

Or is all that reviewing stuff done during summer internships if you manage to get one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    Is there an initial probation period like 3 months untill the job is officially safe?

Or is all that reviewing stuff done during summer internships if you manage to get one?
    Not really, I've never heard of a 'probation period'. The summer internship is basically a long interview which you have to do really well on to get a place on a graduate scheme. They scrutinise your performance a lot during the internship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.