Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys i need help. I am an international student but i am in a private portuguese system school, so this means that i use the same gradings as portugal and exams and tests are the same as portugal. I am on the 11th grade of the portuguese system (we go till the 12th grade) but i sent an application for a Foundation Year with Computer Science to 5 unis. Leicester, Middlesex, Bristol, Anglia Ruskin and Loughborough. So here are my questions.

1. First of all i am on the 11 grade and i sent an application to start on 2016, the problem here is that when i was filling my education form i wasnt able to leave the qualifications sections blank so i choose Diploma do ensino secundario, but we receive this only when we finish 12th grade. Can i leave like this? Or do i need to change it?

2. I received a conditional offer from Bristol (the first offer) they expect me to get a minimum of 6.0 in ielts but as i am a good english student i wont worry to much (i will do my ielts on the 22 of february). But they expext me to get a 15 in average which is like a BBB i think in UK grades. Although i am trying to pull my grades up i think i wont be able to reach the offer. I think i can pull it up till a 13 average which is an equivalent to CCC i think. Will the unis accept me with those grades? (I am applying for a foundation year in computer science)

3. If there arent good news then no problem. I will try again next year for the 2017 corse and if i dont get accepted again the i will just go to Portugal and study there. But i really want to study in UK because i like UK more than i like i Portugal.

Awaiting answers...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have applied a year too early. You normally apply in your final school year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Sounds like you have applied a year too early. You normally apply in your final school year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know but i thought that the foundation year could count as my 12th year there...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yash Jahit)
    I know but i thought that the foundation year could count as my 12th year there...
    But you won't have any school grades until the end of your Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But you won't have any school grades until the end of your Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I couldnt understand what you mean there, could you explain me? We know our school grades every term. When we finish 12th grade we get our diploma of secondary teaching with a average of my grades
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt understand what you mean there, could you explain me? We know our school grades every term. When we finish 12th grade we get our diploma of secondary teaching with a average of my grades
    So you need your diploma before going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    So you need your diploma before going to uni.
    Thats what Bristol Uni asked me, but is it possible for me to get on a Foundation Year WITHOUT having a diploma?

ReputationRep:
    No ... you have to finish secondary education first afaik , otherwise you will not be eligible for University

ReputationRep:
    Thats what Bristol Uni asked me, but is it possible for me to get on a Foundation Year WITHOUT having a diploma?
    No. To access any university-level course you will need to have completed your secomdary school education, regardless of citizenship or age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No. To access any university-level course you will need to have completed your secomdary school education, regardless of citizenship or age.
    Then what can i do? Should i cancel?

ReputationRep:
    Probably should, yes.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And re-apply next cycle for entry in 2017.

Why did your school let you apply (they presumably provided your reference)?

ReputationRep:
    A foundation year is not there for people who have got a bit fed up of school - it is typically there for people who have chosen the wrong subjects, or who come from international school systems which do not reach a high enough standard by the age of 18.

You will need to cancel your application, send in a new application in the autumn for 2017 entry, and apply for non-foundation courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    A foundation year is not there for people who have got a bit fed up of school - it is typically there for people who have chosen the wrong subjects, or who come from international school systems which do not reach a high enough standard by the age of 18.

You will need to cancel your application, send in a new application in the autumn for 2017 entry, and apply for non-foundation courses.
    I am not fed of school, i thought i could do foundation year because it could be like my 12th grade, and because my grades arent so great, then i thought that foundation year would help achieve the grades UK Unis need. Isnt there any way i can defer my entry to 2017?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And re-apply next cycle for entry in 2017.

Why did your school let you apply (they presumably provided your reference)?
    I applied as an individual, my school doesnt work on these types of applocations to UK, i got my reference with my English Teacher
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I am not fed of school, i thought i could do foundation year because it could be like my 12th grade, and because my grades arent so great, then i thought that foundation year would help achieve the grades UK Unis need. Isnt there any way i can defer my entry to 2017?
    Ask the uni, but I suspect you will need to re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a foundation year would only be applicable once done with secondary education?

ReputationRep:
    Ask the uni, but I suspect you will need to re-apply.
    Just to say that i only received one conditional offer out of 5. Should i co tact UCAS or contact each University and ask them if they could defer my entry to 2017?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Just to say that i only received one conditional offer out of 5. Should i co tact UCAS or contact each University and ask them if they could defer my entry to 2017?
    As I said, contact the offering uni.

But I honestly think you need to withdraw and start again properly next year.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, contact the offering uni.

But I honestly think you need to withdraw and start again properly next year.
    Ok.....thanks i will do it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.