This discussion is closed.
Yash Jahit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys i need help. I am an international student but i am in a private portuguese system school, so this means that i use the same gradings as portugal and exams and tests are the same as portugal. I am on the 11th grade of the portuguese system (we go till the 12th grade) but i sent an application for a Foundation Year with Computer Science to 5 unis. Leicester, Middlesex, Bristol, Anglia Ruskin and Loughborough. So here are my questions.

1. First of all i am on the 11 grade and i sent an application to start on 2016, the problem here is that when i was filling my education form i wasnt able to leave the qualifications sections blank so i choose Diploma do ensino secundario, but we receive this only when we finish 12th grade. Can i leave like this? Or do i need to change it?

2. I received a conditional offer from Bristol (the first offer) they expect me to get a minimum of 6.0 in ielts but as i am a good english student i wont worry to much (i will do my ielts on the 22 of february). But they expext me to get a 15 in average which is like a BBB i think in UK grades. Although i am trying to pull my grades up i think i wont be able to reach the offer. I think i can pull it up till a 13 average which is an equivalent to CCC i think. Will the unis accept me with those grades? (I am applying for a foundation year in computer science)

3. If there arent good news then no problem. I will try again next year for the 2017 corse and if i dont get accepted again the i will just go to Portugal and study there. But i really want to study in UK because i like UK more than i like i Portugal.

Awaiting answers...
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds like you have applied a year too early. You normally apply in your final school year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
Sounds like you have applied a year too early. You normally apply in your final school year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know but i thought that the foundation year could count as my 12th year there...
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yash Jahit)
I know but i thought that the foundation year could count as my 12th year there...
But you won't have any school grades until the end of your Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
But you won't have any school grades until the end of your Year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I couldnt understand what you mean there, could you explain me? We know our school grades every term. When we finish 12th grade we get our diploma of secondary teaching with a average of my grades
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I couldnt understand what you mean there, could you explain me? We know our school grades every term. When we finish 12th grade we get our diploma of secondary teaching with a average of my grades
So you need your diploma before going to uni.
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
So you need your diploma before going to uni.
Thats what Bristol Uni asked me, but is it possible for me to get on a Foundation Year WITHOUT having a diploma?
-Tasty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No ... you have to finish secondary education first afaik , otherwise you will not be eligible for University
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats what Bristol Uni asked me, but is it possible for me to get on a Foundation Year WITHOUT having a diploma?
No. To access any university-level course you will need to have completed your secomdary school education, regardless of citizenship or age.
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
(Original post by ivybridge)
No. To access any university-level course you will need to have completed your secomdary school education, regardless of citizenship or age.
Then what can i do? Should i cancel?
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably should, yes.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. And re-apply next cycle for entry in 2017.

Why did your school let you apply (they presumably provided your reference)?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A foundation year is not there for people who have got a bit fed up of school - it is typically there for people who have chosen the wrong subjects, or who come from international school systems which do not reach a high enough standard by the age of 18.

You will need to cancel your application, send in a new application in the autumn for 2017 entry, and apply for non-foundation courses.
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
A foundation year is not there for people who have got a bit fed up of school - it is typically there for people who have chosen the wrong subjects, or who come from international school systems which do not reach a high enough standard by the age of 18.

You will need to cancel your application, send in a new application in the autumn for 2017 entry, and apply for non-foundation courses.
I am not fed of school, i thought i could do foundation year because it could be like my 12th grade, and because my grades arent so great, then i thought that foundation year would help achieve the grades UK Unis need. Isnt there any way i can defer my entry to 2017?
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
Yes. And re-apply next cycle for entry in 2017.

Why did your school let you apply (they presumably provided your reference)?
I applied as an individual, my school doesnt work on these types of applocations to UK, i got my reference with my English Teacher
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am not fed of school, i thought i could do foundation year because it could be like my 12th grade, and because my grades arent so great, then i thought that foundation year would help achieve the grades UK Unis need. Isnt there any way i can defer my entry to 2017?
Ask the uni, but I suspect you will need to re-apply.
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought a foundation year would only be applicable once done with secondary education?
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
Ask the uni, but I suspect you will need to re-apply.
Just to say that i only received one conditional offer out of 5. Should i co tact UCAS or contact each University and ask them if they could defer my entry to 2017?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just to say that i only received one conditional offer out of 5. Should i co tact UCAS or contact each University and ask them if they could defer my entry to 2017?
As I said, contact the offering uni.

But I honestly think you need to withdraw and start again properly next year.
Yash Jahit
Rep:
?
As I said, contact the offering uni.

But I honestly think you need to withdraw and start again properly next year.
Ok.....thanks i will do it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.57%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (552)
48.46%

Watched Threads