Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career advice for investment banking back office to front office move Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been working at a bulge bracket firm for around 5 years in the back office in a temporary job, in a sort of marketing related role. I graduated with a BA (2.1) in Philosophy in 2012, from a little known university in London.
    I wanted to get a front office analyst job, so I did a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance at the London School of Economics. I had to continue working full time in the same job, during the 9 month period I was studying (to afford tuition), so I didn't have much time to apply for internships.
    Also, even though my grades at the Finance and Accounting homework were straight As, I got lower grades in the exams (because I was working, I didn't have time to memorise all the formulas. But if I could look them up in a book like I did for homework, I would have got As).
    After graduating, I talked to the career advisor at LSE. There I was told, because the grades were low, there's no chance at investment banks, and that I should think about trying for an internship in insurance. I didn't do that.
    It's been around 3 years since graduating, and I'm still working in the back office in the same temporary job. Because the firm is going through general cost cuts (which have been in the newspaper, everyone knows about it), I'm sure they will not be promoting anyone at all - so no chance of climbing the ladder in the back office at all.
    Do you think there are any chances of getting accepted at a job even remotely resembling an investment banking analyst in London? (even a smaller firm, or not even investment banking)

ReputationRep:
    Probably not going to happen unless youre very lucky.

Consider going for accountancy firms. If you can get an ACA and work at a big4 for a few years then you might be able to move into IB. But realistically, probably not.

Another option would be to try and do a MSc somewhere good. If you can get a top MSc then just delete the Postgraduate Diploma from your CV and never mention it again.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous2017)
    I've been working at a bulge bracket firm for around 5 years in the back office in a temporary job, in a sort of marketing related role. I graduated with a BA (2.1) in Philosophy in 2012, from a little known university in London.
    I wanted to get a front office analyst job, so I did a Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance at the London School of Economics. I had to continue working full time in the same job, during the 9 month period I was studying (to afford tuition), so I didn't have much time to apply for internships.
    Also, even though my grades at the Finance and Accounting homework were straight As, I got lower grades in the exams (because I was working, I didn't have time to memorise all the formulas. But if I could look them up in a book like I did for homework, I would have got As).
    After graduating, I talked to the career advisor at LSE. There I was told, because the grades were low, there's no chance at investment banks, and that I should think about trying for an internship in insurance. I didn't do that.
    It's been around 3 years since graduating, and I'm still working in the back office in the same temporary job. Because the firm is going through general cost cuts (which have been in the newspaper, everyone knows about it), I'm sure they will not be promoting anyone at all - so no chance of climbing the ladder in the back office at all.
    Do you think there are any chances of getting accepted at a job even remotely resembling an investment banking analyst in London? (even a smaller firm, or not even investment banking)
    Try the Big4 Audit - (upon ACA qualification)-> Big4 Corporate Finance --> BB IBD route

Otherwise, maybe tap into your network to see if there are any boutique banks willing to take you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.