Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying english language and in semester 2 and I've realised the course I should have chosen was literature, which I originally intended to do but thought I would have a better chance of getting further in employment by choosing language (i've now realised how wrong a decision this was). Is there any way possible to change in the second semester???? I've got a meeting with my tutor this week where I'm going to discuss it with him but i was just curious if anyone had actually been able to change in their second semester or if I've left it too late. I've been struggling with my depression so badly and i'm so unhappy on this course as it's nothing what I thought it would be. I know i've left it late but i was wondering if you could withdrawal and then return next year starting over on the course that i originally wanted to do (literature).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniStudent1997)
    I'm currently studying english language and in semester 2 and I've realised the course I should have chosen was literature, which I originally intended to do but thought I would have a better chance of getting further in employment by choosing language (i've now realised how wrong a decision this was). Is there any way possible to change in the second semester???? I've got a meeting with my tutor this week where I'm going to discuss it with him but i was just curious if anyone had actually been able to change in their second semester or if I've left it too late. I've been struggling with my depression so badly and i'm so unhappy on this course as it's nothing what I thought it would be. I know i've left it late but i was wondering if you could withdrawal and then return next year starting over on the course that i originally wanted to do (literature).
    Have a look on your intranet/uni website to fine the course handbook for your course and English lit - see what the core modules are for first year and if there is any crossover between the two courses (and also find out how late into the semester you can swap modules).

If there's crossover and you can swap modules for this semester then it might be possible to swap without starting again but it's impossible for anyone on TSR to tell this - it depends on your university regulations and the structure of the two degrees.

If you can't switch in year and you are thinking of withdrawing partway through the year then speak to your student union/finance team about the implications of that on any funding you've received (sometimes uni rules and the SLC rules don't quite match) and find out what sort of contract you've got with accommodation to work out what the costs of leaving partway through are. Sometimes at this point it makes more financial sense to carry on but to only commit the bare minimum time to your studies (and spend your time in part time work)...but that depends entirely on your personal situation.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni I switched from computer science to linguistics - i decided to do so at the end of my first term and at that point it was made clear to me that I would have to withdraw and restart as there wasn't enough overlap. I ended up fully withdrawing in March 2015 and reapplying through UCAS for administrative reasons, but you can also just apply for a leave of absence without withdrawing; again, this will depend on your university's policy. They may also suggest finishing the year in your current subject and then switching once you come back for 'second' year, but you don't have to do that. Get in touch with your current department and the english lit department and see what their requirements are for switching.

Speaking of finance, everyone gets an 'extra' year of funding from SFE for cases like this where something goes wrong or you change your plan. In my case, this means that I'm covered for the three year BA I switched to, but if I were to drop out and change courses again I would have to cover at least part of the degree myself. Obviously check your eligibility, but you should still be eligible for a full degree's worth of funding as long as this is your first year of your first degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.