Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Meterology is the right degree for me? Maths content? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm very passionate about Meterology, i've got my own weather station and track the weather on a daily basis.

However, I realise that there is the requirement to have absolutely EXCELLENT Maths results. I'm currently doing a foundation year where the entry requirement for Meterology is 65% in Maths semester two and one. Right now I have 70% average which you'd be happy with.

However, I have to constantly study my ass off when it comes to the Maths. I basically learn every single forumla there is and do it over and over and over again. So I suppose I can handle it, my only worry is whether or not this is enough for degree level maths?

I'm in the higher Maths class and alot of people in that class are very gifted and latch onto very complicated principals within minutes (although to be fair alot of them already have an A level in Maths). For me this does not happen. As I said I have to go over it and over it.

Do you think that getting 70% is enough? Even if I got 80% would that be enough? How much harder is the Maths in meteorology? Can you get away with just learning the theories or does it have to click with you?

I ask because I have been worrying about this and do not want to put myself into a degree that I would struggle with even though I am extremely passionate about it.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    Hi. I'm very passionate about Meterology, i've got my own weather station and track the weather on a daily basis.

However, I realise that there is the requirement to have absolutely EXCELLENT Maths results. I'm currently doing a foundation year where the entry requirement for Meterology is 65% in Maths semester two and one. Right now I have 70% average which you'd be happy with.

However, I have to constantly study my ass off when it comes to the Maths. I basically learn every single forumla there is and do it over and over and over again. So I suppose I can handle it, my only worry is whether or not this is enough for degree level maths?

I'm in the higher Maths class and alot of people in that class are very gifted and latch onto very complicated principals within minutes (although to be fair alot of them already have an A level in Maths). For me this does not happen. As I said I have to go over it and over it.

Do you think that getting 70% is enough? Even if I got 80% would that be enough? How much harder is the Maths in meteorology? Can you get away with just learning the theories or does it have to click with you?

I ask because I have been worrying about this and do not want to put myself into a degree that I would struggle with even though I am extremely passionate about it.

What do you think?
    Slowbro93
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)

What do you think?
    Before I answer fully, can I ask the stuff that's covered in your course in terms of maths?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.