The Student Room Group

Do you think Meterology is the right degree for me? Maths content?

Hi. I'm very passionate about Meterology, i've got my own weather station and track the weather on a daily basis.

However, I realise that there is the requirement to have absolutely EXCELLENT Maths results. I'm currently doing a foundation year where the entry requirement for Meterology is 65% in Maths semester two and one. Right now I have 70% average which you'd be happy with.

However, I have to constantly study my ass off when it comes to the Maths. I basically learn every single forumla there is and do it over and over and over again. So I suppose I can handle it, my only worry is whether or not this is enough for degree level maths?

I'm in the higher Maths class and alot of people in that class are very gifted and latch onto very complicated principals within minutes (although to be fair alot of them already have an A level in Maths). For me this does not happen. As I said I have to go over it and over it.

Do you think that getting 70% is enough? Even if I got 80% would that be enough? How much harder is the Maths in meteorology? Can you get away with just learning the theories or does it have to click with you?

I ask because I have been worrying about this and do not want to put myself into a degree that I would struggle with even though I am extremely passionate about it.

What do you think?
Reply 1
Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi. I'm very passionate about Meterology, i've got my own weather station and track the weather on a daily basis.

However, I realise that there is the requirement to have absolutely EXCELLENT Maths results. I'm currently doing a foundation year where the entry requirement for Meterology is 65% in Maths semester two and one. Right now I have 70% average which you'd be happy with.

However, I have to constantly study my ass off when it comes to the Maths. I basically learn every single forumla there is and do it over and over and over again. So I suppose I can handle it, my only worry is whether or not this is enough for degree level maths?

I'm in the higher Maths class and alot of people in that class are very gifted and latch onto very complicated principals within minutes (although to be fair alot of them already have an A level in Maths). For me this does not happen. As I said I have to go over it and over it.

Do you think that getting 70% is enough? Even if I got 80% would that be enough? How much harder is the Maths in meteorology? Can you get away with just learning the theories or does it have to click with you?

I ask because I have been worrying about this and do not want to put myself into a degree that I would struggle with even though I am extremely passionate about it.

What do you think?

@Slowbro93
Original post by Frostyjoe

What do you think?

Before I answer fully, can I ask the stuff that's covered in your course in terms of maths?

Quick Reply

Latest