Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a gap year student with unconditionals for all 3. Which one do I choose? I don't like modern history so much.

I chose Kings because of the course. I like the emphasis on different periods of history as well as the opportunity to take modules from other UoL universities, particularly SOAS. While I know I'm likely to have better career prospects due to the location I tend to find London claustrophobic (I live in a small town/village) after a while- so would probably want to uproot at the end of the couse- and I worry about the cost of London. Also minimal contact hours/ have heard some negative things about student support and while it gets the bonus of relative anonymity I would have little community.

As for York I love the city and didn't really expect to get in but here I am! I know a bunch of students already there from sixth form (grammar school...) and several others going (I'm quite an anxious person) this year. I would be more likely to have disposable income (London is no good if I'd be skint before I got there) but there's less fun stuff to go and do. The place is really touristey. IS A CAMPUS UNI
    On the other hand there's a writing support centre which is a big pull for me as I have low confidence with sources I'm gonna need extra support and I trust I'll get it there.I also like free choice of units and apparent wide choice of modules which means I can do lots of medieval stuff (::::
    The only downside is a small compulsory unit in a language. It doesn't count towards my final degree but I always struggled with it at secondary school and tis a worry.

Exeter has the best career prospects. I've applied for History and anxceient history (It looks like lots of classics and Romans) but I can't say a lot as I haven't actually visited.
    It's the only one that doesn't test on animals. KCL do more on primates/dogs but am unsure how much this would bother me going there as its in a seperate department...

Basically a big list of pros and cons. Advice is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbynojeans)
    I am a gap year student with unconditionals for all 3. Which one do I choose? I don't like modern history so much.

I chose Kings because of the course. I like the emphasis on different periods of history as well as the opportunity to take modules from other UoL universities, particularly SOAS. While I know I'm likely to have better career prospects due to the location I tend to find London claustrophobic (I live in a small town/village) after a while- so would probably want to uproot at the end of the couse- and I worry about the cost of London. Also minimal contact hours/ have heard some negative things about student support and while it gets the bonus of relative anonymity I would have little community.

As for York I love the city and didn't really expect to get in but here I am! I know a bunch of students already there from sixth form (grammar school...) and several others going (I'm quite an anxious person) this year. I would be more likely to have disposable income (London is no good if I'd be skint before I got there) but there's less fun stuff to go and do. The place is really touristey. IS A CAMPUS UNI
    On the other hand there's a writing support centre which is a big pull for me as I have low confidence with sources I'm gonna need extra support and I trust I'll get it there.I also like free choice of units and apparent wide choice of modules which means I can do lots of medieval stuff (::::
    The only downside is a small compulsory unit in a language. It doesn't count towards my final degree but I always struggled with it at secondary school and tis a worry.

Exeter has the best career prospects. I've applied for History and anxceient history (It looks like lots of classics and Romans) but I can't say a lot as I haven't actually visited.
    It's the only one that doesn't test on animals. KCL do more on primates/dogs but am unsure how much this would bother me going there as its in a seperate department...

Basically a big list of pros and cons. Advice is much appreciated.
    They are all very good universities and at the end of the day the minute differences in ranking won't affect your employment prospects. What will do is you- what you have to offer in terms of work experience and soft skills. You need to consider course, location and facilities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.