VictoriaS_xoxo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm planning my critical anthology coursework piece for A2 English Literature and I have chosen the focus of metaphor. Can anybody suggest some poems that might work well? Christina Rossetti has been recommended to me, does anyone know which of her poems would be most suitable?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VictoriaS_xoxo)
Hi, I'm planning my critical anthology coursework piece for A2 English Literature and I have chosen the focus of metaphor. Can anybody suggest some poems that might work well? Christina Rossetti has been recommended to me, does anyone know which of her poems would be most suitable?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Goblin Market is really rich in metaphors and you can have many interpretations of them too it's a really good and hefty poem for analysis
Mothwhisperer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sylvia Plath also uses a ton of metaphor - even a poem titled 'Metaphor'. Also, 'The Applicant' has a lot of metaphorical language and symbolism. 'Mushrooms' has a ton of interpretations as an extended metaphor (Women's movement, Marxism, pregnancy/unborn children, etc.). 'You're' is chock-a-block with metaphors and similes. 'Tulips' is a good longer one.
GetOverHere
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You might want to look at poems that use conceits - these are extended metaphors that make up the entire poem. For example, you could look at Thomas Wyatt's 'Whoso List To Hunt, I Know where is an Hind' where the pursuit of love is likened to the hunting of a deer, intertwined with the speaker's lamentations of how he could never physically catch his love even though he cannot mentally eradicate her from his mind. The last two lines are apparently references to Henry VIII, as the subject is purportedly Anne Boleyn; Wyatt and Boleyn were rumoured to have had an affair. 'They Flee From Me' also uses this metaphor, though not as much as this poem.

Alternatively, you may look to John Donne's 'The Flea', where he uses an example of a flea that has sucked the blood of both the speaker and his subject, and in the flea their 'two bloods mingled be'. The speaker commands a metaphysical argument to justify that they should make love since they are combined through blood within the flea as a result of its bite, and this was relatively harmless to the pair and so them copulating would be equally harmless. On that topic, John Donne is amazing when it comes to metaphor. 'A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning' likens the parting of lovers to death but compares the fortitude of their love to beating gold out to an 'airy thinness'. In addition, his poem 'The Sun Rising' personifies the Sun (you could argue that personification is a very specific form of metaphor) and again uses the metaphysical argument to justify how the heat and intensity of he and his lover in bed eclipses that of the Sun. John Donne puts his love on a pedestal, which you can see in many of his poems.

Those are just some friendly suggestions. If you require any more guidance, let me know c:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads