Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend and I are completely different Watch

Announcements

I've only been going out with my boyfriend for 5 months and we still have a really great time together. We have great chemistry, don't have any awkward silences, we have had one minor argument, go out and do stuff and the relationship is really good and I'm really happy.

However, we are both completely opposite people. He's 7 years older than me. I'm always in relationships, he hasn't had a gf in 7 years. He's independent and lives alone. He's a vegetarian and I like steak. He likes beer and I like wine, cider or cocktails. I love dancing he hates dancing. He wants to go on active walking holidays, and I like those holidays too but I also like going to new cultures and exploring culture. He's had a tough upbringing and isn't sure he believes in marriage, and I'm a hopeless romantic. He says he doesn't want pets but I want a dog.

It just seems we are opposites in almost everything that we do! And people say opposites attract but I'm worrying that we are just so different! Like I said we have an amazing time, but do you think it's too much?

ReputationRep:
    If those things aren't currently causing problems then don't over think it or make them into problems. From the start of your post it sounds like you two are having a great time together. And when the relationship gets more serious later on down the line compromises can easily be made on at least half of the stuff you listed, that's what a lot of relationships have to entail to be successful, compromise.

ReputationRep:
    there's very little there that needs to be an issue, providing you're happy to compromise (e.g. go on a holiday that does both of your interests or take turns), perhaps pets and marriage I guess could be deal breakers but they're also a long way off in the future and things can change!
    • TSR Support Team

I don't see it being a problem unless you both make it a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well me and my pet snake were different, didn't stop me from going out with her. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to have things in common; but it's good to have a sense of originality in your partner; otherwise you would just both be too similar and you perhaps wouldn't appreciate the differences between you two. These don't sound like problems at all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Me and my partner are like that on some fronts. I love horror movies, he hates them. I like walking and exercising and he's a couch potato. I like RPGs, he doesn't like those kind of games etc. But we agree on big things like we both want to get married, both don't want kids etc. We have been together for 7 years now and that goes to show its OK to have a lot differences, just as long as you agree on the main things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.