Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are ways in which you can promote wellbeing in schools? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What tactics can you use to promote wellbeing/mindfulness/deal with student stress in secondary schools?

Also which year group would you target in particular and why?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You can encourage students to take up practices such as meditation and relaxation, by holding clubs and sessions for those throughout the year. You could also set aside a room or two as 'sanctuaries', where students can go to sit and relax if they are feeling stressed.

I would target year 10 and/or 11 students, as they will likely be feeling the most stressed due to doing their GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Lol my school got a guy to give something like a mindfulness/wellbeing talk a couple times and damn it is an annoying waste of time.. ffs, give me an extra maths lesson instead, not some sloppy about "if you suck at exams you suck, just deal with it and move on" talk.

ReputationRep:
    See the clip in my sig for reference:

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You might be interested to hear of the work by a project called Mindkit, which is being trialled by five Mind offices in five London boroughs:
    http://mindkit.org.uk/

I'm a Youth Wellbeing Trainer with Mindkit (Richmond Borough Mind) so if you have any questions about what we do, please feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Leviathan1741 and The_Lonely_Goatherd !!

Thanks for the clip Foo.mp3 , I may be mistaken but I was just wondering how does that video promote wellbeing / relieve stress levels/ etc. ? Sorry it's just that I think it would make me even more stressed about life haha.

imsoanonymous123 yes I see where you are coming from, I think it is difficult to carry out wellbeing activities because, although I think they are important, I tend not to appreciate them as much as I should - especially when they are booklet type things that our teachers have put together, as even though they were were made with good intentions, I can't help but think how much homework I could be getting done. However, I do think it is important and I am trying to think of beneficial ways to promote it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    I was just wondering how does that video promote wellbeing / relieve stress levels/ etc
    "The human body is an electrochemical instrument of exquisite sensitivity" (Hyland, 2000), and the neuroanatomy that governs our psychological processes is at the heart of this 'sensitive instrument'/particularly sensitive to electromagnetic effects; hence, up to a 64-fold increase in depressive symptoms (Oberfeld, 2004) and anxiety related mammalian behaviour (Sokolovic, 2012), with exposure to non-thermal microwave (RFR) radiation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    However, I do think it is important and I am trying to think of beneficial ways to promote it
    Well I and a lot of other students don't think it's beneficial and see it as a waste of time; so please dont force us to put up with that kind of nonsense and only offer your services to those who request it

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry that you took offence at that quote imsoanonymous123 , it was not intended to be offensive in any way.

Nor am I forcing you to put up with anything or offering you my services since I have no services to offer you and am only looking for ways to promote wellbeing so that I can speak about them in a English language group discussion controlled assessment.

I am looking further into ideas with regards to meditation (as stated above), etc. as opposed to compulsory talks/books/etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.