Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C1 Binomial Expansion Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anybody could give me a heads up on where to start with this question please!

Find the coefficient of x^3in the expansion of (2 – 3x)^3(1 – x)^4

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap what exam board are you doing?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs Posh)
    I was wondering if anybody could give me a heads up on where to start with this question please!

Find the coefficient of x^3in the expansion of (2 – 3x)^3(1 – x)^4
    What would you do if you just have one instead of one being multiplied by another?

So is there anything you can do, knowing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Holy crap what exam board are you doing?
    OCR MEI but this isn't from a past paper, we're given harder questions for homework so the exam is somewhat 'easier'

(Original post by SeanFM)
    What would you do if you just have one instead of one being multiplied by another?

So is there anything you can do, knowing that?
    Well... only using (2-3x)^3 the coefficient of x^3 that I get is -216.

I don't really know how to go about the second one My guess would be to perhaps expand it fully and see what makes x^3 but I'm really not sure haha!

ReputationRep:
    OCR MEI but this isn't from a past paper, we're given harder questions for homework so the exam is somewhat 'easier'

I don't really know how to go about the second one My guess would be to perhaps expand it fully and see what makes x^3 but I'm really not sure haha!
    I'm doing MEI too and my teacher does the same, she gives us edexcel binomial expansion which is C2 for them, I could do this question if I had a calc but that would be cheating Name:  image.png
Views: 112
Size:  193.6 KB
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

You may want to check that - the coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2-3x)^3 isn't -216. You know it's (2-3x)(2-3x)(2-3x) and there's only one way to get an x^3 term (by multiplying -3x by -3x and by -3x, giving you... (that's not exactly how you do this question, it's just a handy way of checking that you've done it right).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You may want to check that - the coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (2-3x)^3 isn't -216. You know it's (2-3x)(2-3x)(2-3x) and there's only one way to get an x^3 term (by multiplying -3x by -3x and by -3x, giving you... (that's not exactly how you do this question, it's just a handy way of checking that you've done it right).
    Ah I see! I've noticed where I've gone wrong as well, I now get -27x^3 Do I now find the coefficient of x^3 in the second bracket and multiply?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see! I've noticed where I've gone wrong as well, I now get -27x^3 Do I now find the coefficient of x^3 in the second bracket and multiply?
    Afraid not, it's not as simple as that .

In one expansion, eg (2-3x)^2 to keep it simple, there's only one way of getting x^0 (and that's by multiplying 2 by 2) and one way of getting x^2 (-3x by -3x), but to get x you can do -3x by 2 and -3x by 2 (which seems like the same thing but there are two of them, so that leaves you with -12x rather than -6x.

Similarly, when you're multiplying (a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3....) (e + fx + gx^2 + hx^3)... there are multiple ways of getting to x^3. So you can either spot which ones are going to give you x^3 (which you can do after a bit of practice..) or expand everything but cross out anything that isn't x^3.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend going through every question in the past papers, answer them and compare with the markscheme. The best way to make it stick!!

Ahh, and you can find past papers on ocr's website, exam solutions, igcseworld.com, etc..

ReputationRep:
    binomial expansion then match up all the terms that will times together to get you an x^3 like x^2 and x x^3 and an integer ect and add them all up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.