Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Paid under minimum wage Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've accepted a job at Next the department store. I've been told I only get paid £6.12 an hour. I am 22 years old so minimum wage for me should be £6.70.
    The manager said it is that amount as I would be in training for roughly 3-4 months then it would increase.
    This is the only job I can get right now so I'm taking it but does this sound right for me to be under paid? It's not an apprentice or anything it's a permanent position. My last temp job was at another department store that paid just over minimum wage and I was in training for that.
    Anyone know why Next pays less?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsalovestory)
    So I've accepted a job at Next the department store. I've been told I only get paid £6.12 an hour. I am 22 years old so minimum wage for me should be £6.70.
    The manager said it is that amount as I would be in training for roughly 3-4 months then it would increase.
    This is the only job I can get right now so I'm taking it but does this sound right for me to be under paid? It's not an apprentice or anything it's a permanent position. My last temp job was at another department store that paid just over minimum wage and I was in training for that.
    Anyone know why Next pays less?
    https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-...r-minimum-wage

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but if I ask I might get sacked..
    I don't want to cause a scene just wonder if other people are being paid under minimum wage just because they are in training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsalovestory)
    Thanks but if I ask I might get sacked..
    I don't want to cause a scene just wonder if other people are being paid under minimum wage just because they are in training
    My advice would be too speak to other associates who are on the same job level as you, and ask them what the pay goes up to after training. Or, you could just wait those 3-4 weeks and see how much your pay increases by.

ReputationRep:
    lucky you - you get to take them to court $$$

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.