Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For all of those who think Pep will get found out in the PL Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just bumping this to keep it fresh for later.

Man City may struggle this year. I mean how can their midfield cope against Carrick and Rooney.. how can their strike force cope against Giroud and Vardy? lel.

Queue the; "hurr he has the buy the league. Citeh and der Arab moneeeey"

ReputationRep:
    Pep be like.
    • Very Important Poster

He's in for a shock, but he intends to spend a lot of money. Surely he will ditch at least half the current team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Post here so we can laugh at you in a years time
    Im sure he will be fine... just like my dead gran would be fine with citys 500 million warchest

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for Sam Allardayce to give him a good whipping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Just bumping this to keep it fresh for later.

Man City may struggle this year. I mean how can their midfield cope against Carrick and Rooney.. how can their strike force cope against Giroud and Vardy? lel.

Queue the; "hurr he has the buy the league. Citeh and der Arab moneeeey"
    He's overrated IMO as he's never proved himself by overachieving on limited resources. That's the mark of a truly great manager.

Do you mean the same Vardy who was tied with Aguero last year?.

ReputationRep:
    Squeeky bum time

ReputationRep:
    The burn on the first page is too much.

ReputationRep:
    He will get found out and sacked before his contract is up. I'm calling it boyos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    He'll struggle against Pulis and Allardyce next season

Quote me in a year when i'm right
    In the last five seasons Pulis has only got four wins over top 4 sides, I don't see how he'd be able to get results against a superpowered Man City team with a top three manager in the world behind it.

I cba to google Allardyce's record, but it certainly won't be much better.

Their style of football only works if teams don't have the players to get through compact defences, but this obviously won't work on Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Aubameyang etc.

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Im sure he will be fine... just like my dead gran would be fine with citys 500 million warchest
    He'll get the same amount as Man Utd and Chelsea. The amount of pub level pundits who think anyone can win trophies as long at a club as long as it has money is pretty laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    In the last five seasons Pulis has only got four wins over top 4 sides, I don't see how he'd be able to get results against a superpowered Man City team with a top three manager in the world behind it.

I cba to google Allardyce's record, but it certainly won't be much better.

Their style of football only works if teams don't have the players to get through compact defences, but this obviously won't work on Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, Aubameyang etc.

He'll get the same amount as Man Utd and Chelsea. The amount of pub level pundits who think anyone can win trophies as long at a club as long as it has money is pretty laughable.
    Son, you are the definition of a pub pundit If you actually think that there is some huge difference between Manager X and Manager Y

ReputationRep:
    Son, you are the definition of a pub pundit If you actually think that there is some huge difference between Manager X and Manager X
    What?

ReputationRep:
    He will not again be as successful as he was with Barcelona.

He will always be judged against that.

So yes, he will "fail".

ReputationRep:
    What?
    You actually believe that a manager like PEP is massively better than say Mark Hughes

Lets say PEP and Mark Hughes took over Crystal Palace, they had identical squad.

How many points better do you beleive Pep would get over Hughes?

ReputationRep:
    Son, you are the definition of a pub pundit If you actually think that there is some huge difference between Manager X and Manager X
    You're meant to put a different letter here

ReputationRep:
    I know..^

ReputationRep:
    You actually believe that a manager like PEP is massively better than say Mark Hughes

Lets say PEP and Mark Hughes took over Crystal Palace, they had identical squad.

How many points better do you beleive Pep would get over Hughes?
    I've mentioned before that they play a similar style of football, but they're not on the same level as managers. Using Hughes as an example undermines your own point, as he's a manager who has been very successful at taking low-mid table sides (Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke) to the top half, but when given money at Man City and QPR, he was a total flop. It goes to show as I mentioned earlier that if even a good manager can be out of their depth when given money and a top job, it shows that it's far harder to get success at the top level than people make out.

I don't see Hughes getting more than 50-55 points with the Palace squad, but if given a couple of seasons to work with Guardiola would have the Palace squad in the top six.

Barcelona weren't exactly at the top either when Pep took over, they got 67 points in 07/08 and Palace under Pardew in 2015 got 63 points, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    I've mentioned before that they play a similar style of football, but they're not on the same level as managers. Using Hughes as an example undermines your own point, as he's a manager who has been very successful at taking low-mid table sides (Blackburn, Fulham and Stoke) to the top half, but when given money at Man City and QPR, he was a total flop. It goes to show as I mentioned earlier that if even a good manager can be out of their depth when given money and a top job, it shows that it's far harder to get success at the top level than people make out.

I don't see Hughes getting more than 50-55 points with the Palace squad, but if given a couple of seasons to work with Guardiola would have the Palace squad in the top six.

Barcelona weren't exactly at the top either when Pep took over, they got 67 points in 07/08 and Palace under Pardew in 2015 got 63 points, for instance.
    Dude its not hard to get to the top with a young Messi and Barca squad in a two horse race

Give Mark Hughes that 07/08 Barca squad and he gets to the top. Give Brendan rodgers that 07/08 barca squad, and he gets to the top

Players and money are king, managers have negligible influence

ReputationRep:
    Dude its not hard to get to the top with a young Messi and Barca squad in a two horse race

Give Mark Hughes that 07/08 Barca squad and he gets to the top. Give Brendan rodgers that 07/08 barca squad, and he gets to the top

Chelsea clearly don't support that point. To cite Hughes again, compare the style that Stoke played and the results of 12/13 and 13/14, there's an obvious difference.

The Barcelona squad had won nothing since 2006 and had a very different squad in 07/08 to 08/09, so it's nonsense to say that anyone could have done it.

Also Messi performed at his best under Pep, in contrast to Argentina where he'd largely been underachieving. It's also silly for you to talk about how great the squad was but give the manager no credit for assembling it and making it tick.

ReputationRep:

Except in 07/08 they came 3rd despite being managed by a champions league winner

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.