Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my work be considered Plagiarism and cancelled? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last weekend I realised that my Hamlet coursework essay was only partly mine while also being the combination of quotes from a number of websites that had analysed the same text. I immediately got distressed as I work hard in English and hadn't been aware that I had been plagiarising at all.

So naturally I did it again and handed the new one in (all 100% mine thankfully)

However, the Hamlet coursework had two separate elements to it. One was the an essay analysing the text from Hamlet, the other analysing two poems and comparing it to Hamlet.

I decided to have a look at my poetry work today and went on a Plagiarism Checker site to see if there was any copied work. Well, 98% of it is mine however there are these two lines that are word for word from a study site that had analysed the same poem.

I have already handed in my work (for the second time) and it would look silly to do so again the very next day, But I'm terrified that my work will now be cancelled if it's sent off and I'll be kicked off the course. I know for sure that the rest of my 17 page essay is mine, but those two sentences are worrying me to no end. What do I do? The deadline is this week.

Any responses will be appreciated - I'm really concerned about this.

ReputationRep:
    98% yours? My dissertation at Masters was like only 80% mine and I got a distinction and all was fine.

I think you're worrying too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -=|Jay|=-)
    98% yours? My dissertation at Masters was like only 80% mine and I got a distinction and all was fine.

I think you're worrying too much.
    Thank you - it's all these websites telling me I'm going to be kicked off the course that's worrying me. Well done on your distinction!

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's fine. Nice time btw.

ReputationRep:
    Everything depends on your teacher and what resources she uses to check. The process of evaluating in my University is following: a teacher upload the paper to Unplag plagiarism checker and then sends the report with percentage of similarity to student, director and the head of committee; the next step is randomly asking questions concerning the student's work, references and she also likes to ask a student to tell briefly about the content of one or two works mentioned in the bibliography. Anyway, don't be nerves! 98% is a dream for every enthusiastic student!

ReputationRep:
    You're worrying way to much!! Someone on my degree got 26 plagiarism and it was fine. There's no limit. It goes by the text... If it's blocked text then that is when teachers start getting worried.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    GCSE? (This is in the GCSE forum.)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for all your help. I've spoken to my teacher and handed in one final copy of my work (that's all mine so yippee) and luckily I wasn't chosen for moderation either so I'm completely off the hook. I also had full marks so I'm pretty happy right now

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, I WAS STRESSING OUT SO MUCH OVER THIS!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.