How do I acquire masses of wealth, education-wise?

Watch
King Scorchy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm looking to go into banking, taking whichever master's degree is necessary to rise as high as possible, and to acquire masses of wealth.

This is for a completely selfless reason.

What path shall I take education-wise and which master's degree should I go for?

I'm imagining I'll be doing investment banking at a high level (at least).

What would you recommend? I'd love to hear from anybody with knowledge/experience.
hoping4Astars
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For banking they don't look for a particular degree, but economics or finance related subjects or something quantitative like maths/engineering is what the vast majority of bankers study. A masters degree is not necessary for banking. What matters is that you go to a target uni (Cambridge, LSE, Oxford, Imperial, Warwick). If you are not currently studying at a target uni, then you should probably try and complete a masters degree at a target and get an internship during the masters. Otherwise, there is no point doing a masters for banking.

Also, investment banking is incredibly competitive to get into. You need to have a passion for finance and be good at working in a team (good leadership and communication skills) in order to even be considered for an internship. Try and commit yourself to a large number of extra curricular activities like a sport or volunteering to develop these skills.

Also, from your post, it doesn't seem like you have actually researched and understood what is involved in the career... banking is not some easy way to get rich, it requires very talented people to work very hard in order to succeed.
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply, it's really good and I would love if you could give me yet more information!

I'm not looking for an easy way to get rich, I'm looking for the best option for the long run - I want to rise as high as possible in banking, and have all the time in the world - I'm looking to make as much wealth as possible for a selfless reason.
hoping4Astars
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by King Scorchy)
Thanks for the reply, it's really good and I would love if you could give me yet more information!

I'm not looking for an easy way to get rich, I'm looking for the best option for the long run - I want to rise as high as possible in banking, and have all the time in the world - I'm looking to make as much wealth as possible for a selfless reason.
I am not actually a banker as of yet. I am a sixth form student who is looking to go into banking. I have done a lot of research and have networked with a few people in the industry through tsr but I don't know everything about it.

Basically, there are different types of investmtent bankers: there is mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, capital markets, trading, sales and equity research. The role that is most commonly though of as being investment banking is mergers and acquisitions, but make sure that you research all these options and find out which is right for you. Of course, some pay more than others, but make sure that you are suited to the job. I would say that mergers and acquisitions pays the most but has the worst work/life balance and boring work in general. In my opinion, trading is the most interesting, followed by equity research.

Btw, what year of school/uni are you in and what/where are you studying?
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
I'm 25 with no A-levels and deciding whether it's necessary to take them.

I got all A*s and As for GCSEs and was the best in every year so I have full confidence, I just need to know the path!

It sounds like you're off to a good start, especially since you're effectively networking!
hoping4Astars
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by King Scorchy)
I'm 25 with no A-levels and deciding whether it's necessary to take them.

I got all A*s and As for GCSEs and was the best in every year so I have full confidence, I just need to know the path!

It sounds like you're off to a good start, especially since you're effectively networking!
Did you take any a level equivalents (IB, international a level or other international post-16 qualification)? If not, do you have a university degree? I think you need a levels and be currently completing a degree in order to apply for an internship which you can then convert into a full time graduate role.
King Scorchy
Rep:
?
(Original post by hoping4Astars)
Did you take any a level equivalents (IB, international a level or other international post-16 qualification)? If not, do you have a university degree? I think you need a levels and be currently completing a degree in order to apply for an internship which you can then convert into a full time graduate role.
Nope, no equivalents so I'd basically be starting from scratch.

Thanks a lot for the info!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed