The Student Room Group

M2 & S2 Jan 16 IAL model answers (Edexcel)

Hello,
Here are the answers to the S2 and M2 IAL papers

The S2 answers were done by myself. Fairly nice paper. Expect high boundaries.

5(c) is a horribly obscure question to ask
6(e) might cause trouble.
7(a) maybe is a bit confusing

M2 Answers have been done by @aymanzayedmannan

His views on the paper are below in post 2.

S2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xSC6XqSy7kb094M25kU2xralU/view?usp=sharing

M2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4YVZNUmkwbm5KMVU/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: Official S2 and M2 mark schemes attached respectively
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here are my model answers to the M2 paper!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4YVZNUmkwbm5KMVU/view?usp=sharing

This paper felt oddly synoptic, requiring a fair bit of M1 knowledge such as impulse during collisions and pulleys. Nevertheless, it wasn't a menacing paper by any means but had a few questions in which thinking was required.

1. easy question to start off.

2. easy "show that" collision question; part b was reminiscent of M1

3. straightforward vector kinematics - much harder questions have been asked before on this topic

4. interesting work-energy question. keeping track of all energy changes is necessary

5. unstructured COM question - easy shape to deal with, but required a structured approach

6. part a and b are simple and harder moments questions have been asked but part c is probably the "differentiatior" of the paper between an A* and full UMS

7. simple projectile question - heavy-ish algebra!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
@Zacken, here you go, mate - something to check your answers with, lol. By the way, can you change the name of the thread and add M2 as well so I can upload M2 model answers?

Thanks a ton for the tag! I'll only be able to do that if @kprime2 gives me his permission to edit the title. :-) Could you give me the updated title as well? S2 and M2 Jan 16 IAL?
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
Thanks a ton for the tag! I'll only be able to do that if @kprime2 gives me his permission to edit the title. :-) Could you give me the updated title as well? S2 and M2 Jan 16 IAL?

Yes go for it. "M2 & S2 Jan 16 IAL model answers (Edexcel)" would sound fabulous. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by kprime2
Yes go for it. "M2 & S2 Jan 16 IAL model answers (Edexcel)" would sound fabulous. :tongue:

Will do! Your CDF in 6(c) is slightly off, I think. Plug in x=7, and you don't get F(7) = 1 as you should. My answer is: x31270+1x2180\frac{x^3 - 1}{270} + \frac{1-x^2}{180}
(edited 8 years ago)
Seems a standard paper with some tricky parts.

How do you get the papers right after the exams btw
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Will do! Your CDF in 6(c) is slightly off, I think. Plug in x=7, and you don't get F(7) = 1 as you should. My answer is: x31270+1x2180\frac{x^3 - 1}{270} + \frac{1-x^2}{180}

Yes of course. Forgot the darn constant didn't I.
I have updated the solutions. :smile:
Thank you for pointing that out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kprime2
Yes of course. Forgot the darn constant didn't I.
I have updated the solutions. :smile:
Thank you for pointing it out.

No problemo! Thanks for the MA, I'm afraid I've mucked up my chance for full UMS with my silly answers for the "explain" sections. :redface:
Reply 8
Tagging @TeeEm because he wanted to "steal" questions
Reply 9

thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
No problemo! Thanks for the MA, I'm afraid I've mucked up my chance for full UMS with my silly answers for the "explain" sections. :redface:

I thought 1(a) was a bit weird. Not sure what exactly they're after.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kprime2
Hello,
Here are the answers to the S2 and M2 IAL papers

The S2 answers were done by myself. Fairly nice paper. Expect high boundaries.

5(c) is a horribly obscure question to ask
6(e) might cause trouble.
7(a) maybe is a bit confusing

M2 Answers have been done by @aymanzayedmannan

His views on the paper are below in post 2.

S2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xSC6XqSy7kb094M25kU2xralU/view?usp=sharing

M2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4Wkt1cjdCR2JvVG8/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4Wkt1cjdCR2JvVG8/view

This paper felt oddly synoptic, requiring a fair bit of M1 knowledge such as impulse during collisions and pulleys. Nevertheless, it wasn't a menacing paper by any means but had a few questions in which thinking was required.

3. straightforward vector kinematics - much harder questions have been asked before on this topic

4. interesting work-energy question. keeping track of all energy changes is necessary

5. unstructured COM question - easy shape to deal with, but required a structured approach

6. part a and b are simple and harder moments questions have been asked but part c is probably the "differentiatior" of the paper between an A* and full UMS

M2 Q3 is, as you say, straight forward and therefore boring. You have 2 arithmetic errors. In a) the 12 should be an 8. In b), the second 12 should be a 6.
Reply 12
Original post by tiny hobbit
M2 Q3 is, as you say, straight forward and therefore boring. You have 2 arithmetic errors. In a) the 12 should be an 8. In b), the second 12 should be a 6.

Thank you for noticing, I've amended it - is everything else alright, though?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13

Thanks a lot @ayman
Reply 14
Thank you for noticing, I've amended it - is everything else alright, though?

Ive seen you at the stats threads, you could probably do some jiggery pokery and create an unofficial gradeboundaries list!
Reply 15
Original post by me2*
Ive seen you at the stats threads, you could probably do some jiggery pokery and create an unofficial gradeboundaries list!

Haha, define "jiggery pokery". As much as I'd like lower boundaries, this paper wasn't as challenging as previous IALs so I think it'd be similar to June 15; maybe 1 mark lower?

100 UMS - 73-75
A* - 66-67
A - 62-63

This would probably be fair, I think.

Original post by me2*
Thanks a lot @ayman

You're welcome!
Reply 16
M2 and S2 Official Mark schemes attached respectively
Reply 17
Does anyone have the S2 paper without any model answers written on there ? If someone does, please could you share it with me
Reply 18
Does anyone know where I can find the model answers/mark scheme for Edexcel M3 January 2016?
Reply 19
Original post by Ayman!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8iKfLNIO4P4YVZNUmkwbm5KMVU/view?usp=sharing

For 6c wouldn't it be simpler to spot that the component perpendicular to the rod can't zero otherwise the force R would just act along the rod. Therefore 4b-5a>0 from (P=(mgcostheta(4b-5a)/b) and so we get 5a/4<b<=2a in a lot less lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending