The Student Room Group

hey guys can you please help me- CORE MATHS C1 ADVANCED SUBSIDIARY PAPER

I am really struggling with questions 7,8,9 and 10. I've been trying but cant do it! help asap

Scroll to see replies

What date is the paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Think People
What date is the paper ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a dated paper as it is an odd one, here's a photoImageUploadedByStudent Room1454358456.479628.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never even knew they asked about f(x) in Core 1 Papers. Hang on I'll get the solutions over to you in a jiffy.
Reply 5
7) (i) 2f(x) a vertical stretch scale factor 2( if u dont get it ... it means mulitpling all y values by 2)
(ii) f(x-1) a horizontal translation by 1 unit to the right
Reply 6
F(-x) means a reflection in the y axis
I am not doing OCR but i can help you on Q.10.
Differentiate the equation to get dy/dx , then plug in the value of x. Solve from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattismad
I never even knew they asked about f(x) in Core 1 Papers. Hang on I'll get the solutions over to you in a jiffy.

Full solutions are not allowed to be given
Reply 9
Original post by holly mcnally
I am really struggling with questions 7,8,9 and 10. I've been trying but cant do it! help asap

For q 10 take dy/dx once you get that sub x=1 in place of x and you will see that dy/dx (the gradient) will come to a value of minus five

Question 7ia.) is y = 2f(x) so it means a y stretch therefore you must multiply all y values by 2 and keep the x values the same.

Question 7ib.) y = f(x-1) means you are moving the whole graph to the right therefore you must keep the y values constant and change the xvalues accordingly
Original post by Student403
Full solutions are not allowed to be given

Oh why not - is this the latest MEI paper?
Oh why not - is this the latest MEI paper?

No it's just a rule of the forums. We don't give the full solutions - instead we help the OP to get there
No it's just a rule of the forums. We don't give the full solutions - instead we help the OP to get there

I mean worked solutions?
I mean worked solutions?

Whatever it is, if it gives the answer without them doing any work or with them being led straight to the final calculation or something, it's probably best you leave it.

@Zacken can clarify
I mean worked solutions?

The point of this forum isn't to just give the answers, it's not helpful to learn from something you're struggling with by just getting the answer. It's much more helpful getting assistance on how to get to the answer, that way you know how to do it the next time you're in a pickle.
Whatever it is, if it gives the answer without them doing any work or with them being led straight to the final calculation or something, it's probably best you leave it.

@Zacken can clarify

I didn't realise :frown: That sucks. Oh well good to get the practice in by doing it yourself.
Original post by jamestg
The point of this forum isn't to just give the answers, it's not helpful to learn from something you're struggling with by just getting the answer. It's much more helpful getting assistance on how to get to the answer, that way you know how to do it the next time you're in a pickle.

At the end of the day though it's up to the OP if she wants to actually learn from the worked solutions.
Reply 18
I mean worked solutions?

Thanks for the tag, @Student403.

This one is a bit of a weird case, as the OP isn't even bothering to show her working or ask for help - but yeah, full solutions are against the forum guidelines because we feel that it's much better to help the OP reach an answer and prod her along using hints so that she grows from the experience mathematically.

I'll kindly ask the OP to clarify what troubles she's having and to show her working.
At the end of the day though it's up to the OP if she wants to actually learn from the worked solutions.

She probably does if she's asking for help.

Quick Reply

Latest