Why is gas and oil found in Deserts?

Watch
anonymouslass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was just doing a geography GSCE homework and came across this question was a bit stuck O_O
thanks in advance
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That question is very vague, so I'll try my best to come up with a reasonable answer.

In desert environments, a common rock type is desert sandstone. Desert sandstone often has large pore spaces (gaps in between the sand grains), which means lots of oil and gas can be stored inside them. Desert sandstone therefore makes an excellent reservoir rock for oil and gas, which is why oil and gas can be found in deserts.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of answer which is needed, but it was all I could think of
anonymouslass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
That question is very vague, so I'll try my best to come up with a reasonable answer.

In desert environments, a common rock type is desert sandstone. Desert sandstone often has large pore spaces (gaps in between the sand grains), which means lots of oil and gas can be stored inside them. Desert sandstone therefore makes an excellent reservoir rock for oil and gas, which is why oil and gas can be found in deserts.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of answer which is needed, but it was all I could think of

Haha Thank You! Appriciate it
mangala
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ppls walk in 2 deserrt then die cos its hot then turn in to oil after many years RIP to all the people who power our cars
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise