Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I currently do at AS level (I'm in year 12)-

-English Literature
-Biology
-History
-Government and Politics

Now, the obvious choice for what to drop is Biology, seeing as it doesn't 'fit' with the other subjects, especially so when considering I want to do either History of Politics at University.

However, I enjoy Biology a lot. I find it very interesting, and I have come out with an A in my recent mock, and have got pretty high marks in tests and homeworks throughout the course so far. This makes me want to drop English Literature instead, seeing as out of all of my subjects this is the one I dislike the most. I often find it tedious, boring and too 'hypothetical' for me; I enjoy reading the books and analysing them at the start, but by the end the books have lost all value and meaning. I got an A/B in the mock.

I have asked the 'university-pro' teacher at my school what to do, and she said to continue doing the A-Levels you think you will do best in, and that English Lit isn't necessary for History/Politics at Uni i.e. Drop English Literature over Biology.

Is this the right decision?
f1orence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=LennyBicknel;62425931]So I currently do at AS level (I'm in year 12)-

-English Literature
-Biology
-History
-Government and Politics

Now, the obvious choice for what to drop is Biology, seeing as it doesn't 'fit' with the other subjects, especially so when considering I want to do either History of Politics at University.

However, I enjoy Biology a lot. I find it very interesting, and I have come out with an A in my recent mock, and have got pretty high marks in tests and homeworks throughout the course so far. This makes me want to drop English Literature instead, seeing as out of all of my subjects this is the one I dislike the most. I often find it tedious, boring and too 'hypothetical' for me; I enjoy reading the books and analysing them at the start, but by the end the books have lost all value and meaning. I got an A/B in the mock.

I have asked the 'university-pro' teacher at my school what to do, and she said to continue doing the A-Levels you think you will do best in, and that English Lit isn't necessary for History/Politics at Uni i.e. Drop English Literature over Biology.

Is this the right decision? [/QUOTE

You don't have too decide what you're dropping until after results day, so don't get too ahead of the game!
One the one hand, English would fit better with your other A Levels, and if you're on an A/B at this point, you're going to do well. However, depending on the universities that you're looking at, it will be important to have good grades. If you're not motivated to study English but you are for biology, it would makes sense to drop English.
At the end of the day, the only person who can make the right decision is you. If I were you, I'd wait until results and see how you feel then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.25%
England (108)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.44%
Germany (38)
11.88%
Spain (6)
1.88%
Italy (29)
9.06%
Netherlands (10)
3.13%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise