Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my social anxiety bad enough to see a GP? Watch

Announcements

I'm a 20 year old female in my final year of university. I've been very socially anxious for as long as I can remember and I feel like it's not improving no matter how much I try to force myself to change and research it etc.

Even the simplest things like walking down the street makes me feel really uncomfortable... I feel anxious every time I walk past someone. I feel like they're laughing at me or judging me, and feel super self-conscious about the way I'm -walking and breathing and I just feel like I'm embarrassing myself. Or like, I hate walking through crowded rooms because I feel like everyone is watching and judging me. Like there's some sort of spotlight on me. Which I know rationally is ridiculous, and that most likely no-one could care less. And that even if they are judging me, it is inconsequential.

I'm very comfortable with my best friends, but feel anxious interacting with anyone else. I find it difficult to approach people I don't know and to make eye contact. I'm more anxious in group situations. I just get a mental blank and become very quiet. If I answer something or answer a question in a lecture or group discussion or whatever my heart races and I get shaky and blush a lot. I can't even imagine public speaking.

I just feel like this is all holding me back so much, and that it's going to even more so when I leave university and enter the world of work. I go through bad patches of hating myself and hurting myself.

I don't know whether to see my GP about things. I feel like they're going to say it's not severe enough to constitute social anxiety disorder. And admitting all this stuff face-to-face just seems so embarrassing. And I feel like there are probably so many other people experiencing mental health difficulties who need the medical resources more than me... I'd kind of be taking it away from them. But at the same time I really want to get over this, and have been trying alone for yearsssss to no avail.

Sorry for such a long post. What do you guys think I should do?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read the entire post because the thread title told me enough to say it's worth the visit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's affecting your life it is worth it. Don't worry about taking resources as well - you are as worthy as the next person. Also, it is best to get things sorted so they don't get worse and require even more intervention. You can even do some self help CBT online if you google it. Your GP won't judge you - even if you don't have social anxiety disorder they can still suggest some ideas to help yourself. You could refer yourself to your universities counselling service as well - they should be able to help with things like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a 20 year old female in my final year of university. I've been very socially anxious for as long as I can remember and I feel like it's not improving no matter how much I try to force myself to change and research it etc.

Even the simplest things like walking down the street makes me feel really uncomfortable... I feel anxious every time I walk past someone. I feel like they're laughing at me or judging me, and feel super self-conscious about the way I'm -walking and breathing and I just feel like I'm embarrassing myself. Or like, I hate walking through crowded rooms because I feel like everyone is watching and judging me. Like there's some sort of spotlight on me. Which I know rationally is ridiculous, and that most likely no-one could care less. And that even if they are judging me, it is inconsequential.

I'm very comfortable with my best friends, but feel anxious interacting with anyone else. I find it difficult to approach people I don't know and to make eye contact. I'm more anxious in group situations. I just get a mental blank and become very quiet. If I answer something or answer a question in a lecture or group discussion or whatever my heart races and I get shaky and blush a lot. I can't even imagine public speaking.

I just feel like this is all holding me back so much, and that it's going to even more so when I leave university and enter the world of work. I go through bad patches of hating myself and hurting myself.

I don't know whether to see my GP about things. I feel like they're going to say it's not severe enough to constitute social anxiety disorder. And admitting all this stuff face-to-face just seems so embarrassing. And I feel like there are probably so many other people experiencing mental health difficulties who need the medical resources more than me... I'd kind of be taking it away from them. But at the same time I really want to get over this, and have been trying alone for yearsssss to no avail.

Sorry for such a long post. What do you guys think I should do?

Hey

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I've had similar struggles with social anxiety in the past and it really does hold you back with a lot of day to day things, which doesn't help in terms of making you happy long- term or letting you experience life.

I'd say from what you've said about small things being difficult to handle, it's well worth a visit to the GP. The second it starts interfering negatively in your day to day life, it's time to get help. Maybe check if there's a community mental health team in your area too, they tend to provide lots of help.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.