Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

US Presidential race - Iowa caucuses - Clinton edges Sanders, Cruz beats Trump Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/elect...-2016-35404043

So the first voting in the marathon that is the US presidential race takes place tonight in Iowa. Final polls suggest that Trump is edging Cruz in the Republican race, whilst Hilary Clinton leads Bernie Sanders. But anything could happen of course.

Who do you think will have the early support after tonight?

Edit: Courtesy of TheGuyReturns this is a nice site to keep track of the results: http://data.desmoinesregister.com/io...ults/index.php

Another one: http://www.politico.com/2016-electio...president/iowa

ReputationRep:
    idk how even clinton is so popular....

sanders should be potus, although seeing cruz would be funny since he isn't born in US lolzz

ReputationRep:
    Trump
    r
    u
    m
    p

ReputationRep:
    Cruz will win Iowa, Rubio will win the nomination after the party unites against Cruz (everyone hates him). When it comes to the voting people will turn away from Trump... Hopefully

Clinton will win Iowa and will win overall. I have a feeling Sanders just won't get the turnout and his campaign will lose its momentum.

Then Rubio will win the general after everyone realises how unelectable Clinton is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djh2208)
    Cruz will win Iowa, Rubio will win the nomination after the party unites against Cruz (everyone hates him). When it comes to the voting people will turn away from Trump... Hopefully

Clinton will win Iowa and will win overall. I have a feeling Sanders just won't get the turnout and his campaign will lose its momentum.

Then Rubio will win the general after everyone realises how unelectable Clinton is.
    You're wrong, Rubio has no chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/elect...-2016-35404043

So the first voting in the marathon that is the US presidential race takes place tonight in Iowa. Final polls suggest that Trump is edging Cruz in the Republican race, whilst Hilary Clinton leads Bernie Sanders. But anything could happen of course.

Who do you think will have the early support after tonight?
    Trump and Clinton will win but it will be close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Kek)
    You're wrong, Rubio has no chance
    Trump won't win a general and everyone knows it. Cruz is a nightmare candidate for the establishment. Rubio is the GOP's only hope imo.

ReputationRep:
    For all those who actually believe trump will win the over all presidential nomination... I don't know what to say

ReputationRep:
    Trump won't win a general and everyone knows it. Cruz is a nightmare candidate for the establishment. Rubio is the GOP's only hope imo.
    He has barely 10% in the polls, can you explain how on Earth he can win ?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping Sanders will edge out Clinton (although whether he'll be able to carry that through nationwide is unclear) but it seems like it could swing either way, Trump will lead the republican vote comfortably. I'm also hoping he wins overall to make an eventual democratic win more likely- even Hilary is better than any of the republican nominees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Kek)
    He has barely 10% in the polls, can you explain how on Earth he can win ?
    Because he's higher than 10% in most of the polls and most people would prefer him to the other candidates. There's still a long way to go until the candidate is chosen, a lot can change and other candidate will drop out leaving Rubio a lot of support from people who have him
    as their second choice. History suggests that the establishment candidate always wins, McCain in 08 and Romney in 12 both lost Iowa and won the candidacy in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Because he's higher than 10% in most of the polls and most people would prefer him to the other candidates. There's still a long way to go until the candidate is chosen, a lot can change and other candidate will drop out leaving Rubio a lot of support from people who have him
    as their second choice. History suggests that the establishment candidate always wins, McCain in 08 and Romney in 12 both lost Iowa and won the candidacy in the end.
    He is 10% in the polls, also keep in mind Republicans hate the establishment now, that's why the "inevitable" Bush went from first place to 5% after Trump demolished him .. Frankly, if Trump doesn't win the Republican nomination it's just proof the GOP rigged the polls again.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/...al-gop-primary
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tion-3823.html

ReputationRep:
    I think however you look at the permutations between now and the Presidential election, it's pretty hard to see past Hilary Clinton winning in the end.

A lot of different scenarios could unfold along the way but the end point is likely to be Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    I expect Clinton will probably beat Sanders narrowly. From that I expect it will be pretty hard for Bernie to win, but I think he has a chance of pushing Clinton quite a long way. I can certainly see him picking up the momentum to win in Nevada, and that gets him to Super Tuesday at least.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Sanders will carry Iowa and NH comfortably.

I think he'll at least a 5 point gap over Clinton in Iowa (Yes, I'm very optimistic ).

Trump should have a 10+ gap over the next candidate, who'll probably be Cruz.

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy this anti-establishment bull. It is true there are candidates they'd rather have in power like Clinton who are loyal and easy to control but I know what the real establishment is.

On a positive note Trump is largely self financed but his anti-Iran rhetoric is the same as all the other Republicans. Obama the worst thing to happen to Israel? Obama's administration has only increased money to Israel.

Bernie Sanders is just another AIPAC zombie like the rest of them.

Name:  aipac-zio1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Can't stump the trump

ReputationRep:
    Well Rubio is the establishment stooge with obscene financial backing from them, so I would expect him to hang in there long enough to capitalise on Trump losing momentum. The problem the GOP has is that even 'moderate' candidates like Marco Rubio want to repeal Obamacare on day one, want to go spending more money on the military and world policing and have little interest in raising wages. A stance like that is just wildly at odds with what the electorate want.

ReputationRep:
    Nice way to keep track:
    http://data.desmoinesregister.com/io...ults/index.php

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.