Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

US Presidential race - Iowa caucuses - Clinton edges Sanders, Cruz beats Trump Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Seems like there's no option for starting a poll once the thread has been submitted sadly. I'll keep that in mind for the next primaries though.
    New Hampshire next Tuesday. Although looking at the schedule I am going to have a lot of late nights, especially when we get over to the West Coast, Hawaii and Alaska probably won't end up being an issue purely by virtue of being so far around the world it means getting up slightly early rather than turning nocturnal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Obviously, but I meant given that not too long ago Clinton had more than a 2:1 lead on him in the polls, a score of 48% here to start the race could be a "victory" in itself and encouraging for the future elections?
    I think the real encouragement will come when Bernie takes NH. Much more so than a narrow loss in Iowa anyway.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Lol at Gilmore down the bottom with 4 votes

ReputationRep:
    2% Lead!

ReputationRep:
    "Other" is beating Gilmore at the moment.

How embarrassing!

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Is it not in tools?

That's a shame. I expect Sanders to win any poll on TSR anyway
    Oh it is there, I'm just blind but since it's nearly 3am I have an excuse. But yeah I suspect Sanders and Trump respectively would be the runaway winners on TSR

Personally I'm a Rubio fan.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    New Hampshire next Tuesday. Although looking at the schedule I am going to have a lot of late nights, especially when we get over to the West Coast, Hawaii and Alaska probably won't end up being an issue purely by virtue of being so far around the world it means getting up slightly early rather than turning nocturnal
    You're right there. I'm looking forward to all the fun nights ahead :lol:

ReputationRep:
    50.8%-48.6% for Clinton-Sanders now (62.5% reporting).

ReputationRep:
    It is quite amusing reading all this regurgitated analysis of U.S. politics from a bunch of self indulgent Brits. Imagine listening to a group of Americans bloviating over the UKs general election and the appointment of the PM. Think how absurd that conservation would be if they drew talking points straight from Fox News and applied American values to justify who British citizens should vote for.

Trump will probably be the Republican Nomination. The Democratic nomination could go to Hillary or Sanders. Trump will probably beat Hillary in a general election. I don't think Trump can beat Sanders in a general. Sanders would be a disaster. Clinton wouldn't be terrible but she is so dirty, the idea of seeing her win is hard to tolerate. Trump has surprised everyone and he may continue to do so if he wins the presidency. He could be an amazing president. He could also be a disaster.

The pundits who claim Trump can't win a general are the same people who have underestimated him every step thus far. Most of them also have a vested interest in ensuring the public believe he can't win. They are assuming the paradigm hasn't changed despite significant evidence to the contrary. Anyone who talks about needing X percent of the latino/female vote, are just quoting an antiquated playbook.

Americans are distinctly different than the British. I don't think I will receive too much dissension on that point. Don't assume that they wan't to embrace the types of candidates and policies that suit the UK. I am a U.S. citizen. I am also a Trump supporter. This is my perspective.

The current president has taken considerable measures to appease the international community. He begged for appreciation and he didn't get it. Perhaps it's time to demand respect instead. I am indignant towards the contempt, and disrespect afforded by enemies and allies alike. Consider that America for better or worse, has the potential to steam role most of those entities in a multitude of ways. Some have voiced concern for what a president like Trump might do. Good! He won't initiate a holocaust, but he will shake things up. The Iranians will tread more carefully, the Russians will be more cautious, and our allies will be more gracious.

I could go on but this post is already TLDR.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Oh it is there, I'm just blind but since it's nearly 3am I have an excuse. But yeah I suspect Sanders and Trump respectively would be the runaway winners on TSR

Personally I'm a Rubio fan.
    Rubio's the best of a bad bunch for me personally

ReputationRep:
    The poll I'm watching has added 0.1% to the total.

Give it back Clinton!

ReputationRep:
    Halfway stage for Republicans - Not a great day at the office for Trump:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    It is quite amusing reading all this regurgitated analysis of U.S. politics from a bunch of self indulgent Brits. Imagine listening to a group of Americans bloviating over the UKs general election and the appointment of the PM. Think how absurd that conservation would be if they drew talking points straight from Fox News and applied American values to justify who British citizens should vote for.
    You've made this 'point' to me before: 'you just get your analysis from the BBC'. If I may be forgiven for appropriating an Americanism, you're pulling it out of your ass. Americans wouldn't follow British politics in this way because (a) they are less likely to consider things outside their borders important and (b) because it objectively isn't as important. In any event, if you don't consider the standard of analysis on here up to your standards, one wonders why you're joining in.

ReputationRep:
    CNN: O'Malley to suspend his campaign shortly.

ReputationRep:
    50(.4)%-49%...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Americans wouldn't follow British politics in this way because (a) they are less likely to consider things outside their borders important and (b) because it objectively isn't as important.
    This is true.

In any event, if you don't consider the standard of analysis on here up to your standards, one wonders why you're joining in.
    For two reasons (a) I like to debate people with whom I disagree and (b) I feel I should impart some of my wisdom on those without my significant gifts of comprehension and communication.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Plumping for Rubio to nab 2nd from Trump

Sanders is squeezing this down wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    This is true.

For two reasons (a) I like to debate people with whom I disagree and (b) I feel I should impart some of my wisdom on those without my significant gifts of comprehension and communication.
    You're not relying on any gift, though. You're not even debating. You're saying 'I'm an American, so everyone listen to me!' whilst at the same time saying that no-one else on here should have an opinion at all. If you're so wise, and you want a debate that you'd actually value, why don't you find some other US citizens to debate with? Oh, wait, because then you wouldn't have your 'listen to me, I'm an American!' card, which appears to be all that you have to bring to the table.

ReputationRep:
    CNN: O'Malley to suspend his campaign shortly.
    "Other" and "Jim Gilmore", from the Republican Party, are expected to follow...

ReputationRep:
    Sanders now trails by 1.2%...

ReputationRep:
    Bernie narrows gap to 1.3% - 3/4 of the way through.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.