Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is overheating the only cause for a head gasket to blow ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have had blown head gaskets on my cars in the past and even the car I currently own now as overheating on the day I bought it which the garage said was a blown head gasket ( but later realized after many people confirmed looked like only water pump had been replaced, that I was probably lied to in thids instance)

Anyway, I had another scared today, when looking under bonnet I noticed water level very low, slightly below minimum level. after a bit of investigating I discovered a small piece of plastic from the car water/expansion header tank had cracked off as the tank is loose it must have been damaged during driving but I will go and get one tomorrow from used car site, can buy new on ebay for £20 but it means waiting a few days which I would rather not.
    Anyway I am very relieved that this was all the problem was and not anything serious again like a BHG

anyway, I want to make sure I never go through the stress again of enduring another blown head gasket, I was wondering, If a car does not overheat will that mean that there is nothing else that can blow a head gasket ?

ReputationRep:
    have you checked the coolant in your engine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also your thermostat needs checking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triphazards)
    have you checked the coolant in your engine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by triphazards)
    Also your thermostat needs checking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, wut ?

I told you, upon investigating we discovered a chunk of plastic was snapped off coolant expansion tank and that was where water was escaping from, there is even a trial of water behind the car as you drive, It didn't over heat as I constantly kept a check on the temp gauge,
    All I need to do is buy a new expansion tank tomorrow morning and put it on and then problem sorted.

lol, Did either of you actually even read what I wrote in the OP ?

Thermostat replaced last year

ReputationRep:
    "Is overheating the only cause for a head gasket to blow ?"

Nope.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.