Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    thought people might be interested in this....

http://www.comauk.com

dunno why they are called COMA (Cambridge and Oxford Medical Applications). They are helping mostly with the BMAT...which is Bristol, UCL and royal vet college aswell...

i guess it might be because people needing help in the BMAT will most likely be applying to Oxbridge

--why do i always answer my own questions?
    because charlie, you're a smart ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loganberry)
    thought people might be interested in this....

http://www.comauk.com

dunno why they are called COMA (Cambridge and Oxford Medical Applications). They are helping mostly with the BMAT...which is Bristol, UCL and royal vet college aswell...

i guess it might be because people needing help in the BMAT will most likely be applying to Oxbridge

--why do i always answer my own questions?
    because charlie, you're a smart ass
    I'd be very wary of any organisation proclaiming to be 'experts' in coaching for an exam that has only been running a year!

ReputationRep:
    Point of correction:

The BMAT is runnin for its second (not first) year this year and was preceeded by the MVAT, first piloted in 1999 by Cambridge University. The research that has led to the BMAT has been going on for over 10 years now and the exam is really only an adaptation of the longer runnin TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment) and similar tests.

So the exam goin by the name 'BMAT' may be runnin for just its second year, but it is quite an age-old idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochastic)
    Point of correction:

The BMAT is runnin for its second (not first) year this year and was preceeded by the MVAT, first piloted in 1999 by Cambridge University. The research that has led to the BMAT has been going on for over 10 years now and the exam is really only an adaptation of the longer runnin TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment) and similar tests.

So the exam goin by the name 'BMAT' may be runnin for just its second year, but it is quite an age-old idea!
    I know it's the second year - there has only been 1 formal role out for the BMAT last year!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: i.e only one offical oxbridge, UCL BMAT paper has been sat!!!!! So this course will have plenty of past papers then? :rolleyes:

(Original post by COMA website)
    We are a group of current Oxbridge Medical students. We have acquired the requisite skills being tested by the rigorous BMAT first-hand and are in a prime position to share and teach these skills to intelligent and interested students
    Experts huh! cos they'll have say the BMAT once if they're first years, and not at all if they are 2 years up!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also know, having sat it, that it's predecessor was the MVAT. There are, however, some fundamental differences between the BMAT and the MVAT. Also to be fair the questions are not hard. You only need GCSE sciences for them (that being their whole point), and BBC GSCE byte size is as good way as any of revising - and much, much cheaper!

These courses are like the infamous GAMSAT ones - designed to fleece poor bods of a lot of money with the almost guarenteed place if you do their prep course.

All it does is widen the gap between those that can afford it and those that really can not - not exactly wideninig access huh!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cool!

Just out of curiosity, are u an oxbridge medic or vet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochastic)
    Cool!

Just out of curiosity, are u an oxbridge medic or vet?
    No, but I did my D.Phil at Oxford, and tutored medics...

I'm off to do my MBBS in September, but not at Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    what is a D.Phil?

ReputationRep:
    what is a D.Phil?
    Doctor of Philosophy - same as a PhD - some places, Oxford included, award it as a D.Phil.

ReputationRep:
    what subject was that in?

So you will be entering medicine as a graduate? Is that the best way to do it...like the american system?

ReputationRep:
    what subject was that in?

So you will be entering medicine as a graduate? Is that the best way to do it...like the american system?
    As a doctor in fact Although the first thing I guess I will have to do is to drop the title so I don't look like an A1 [email protected]

My D.Phil is cancer research based. I volunteered at a hospice whilst doing this and got the medicine bug - I would like to have a spilt portfolio of oncological research and palliative care

I would say that as it stands medicine from school is easier, and less competitive. However, if we continue to drift towards the Australian model of medical education, it's not inconceivable that in a few years time, medicine might be a post graduate subject.

ReputationRep:
    call me cynical..but i think if people feel they have to go on that sort of specific course, then they're probably not the right types anyway..

& unfortunately i doubt the same group run a 'pass your prelims' shortcut course.. (unfortunately).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    call me cynical..but i think if people feel they have to go on that sort of specific course, then they're probably not the right types anyway..

& unfortunately i doubt the same group run a 'pass your prelims' shortcut course.. (unfortunately).
    If they did, would you take it?

And you'll be fine! Good luck! Or have they started already?

ReputationRep:
    lol, probably not.

i don't see how someone else could teach me to learn things!

ReputationRep:
    If the BMAT only requires GCSE knowledge, does that mean that technically a GCSE student could pass (or stand a good chance of passing) the BMAT tests? Surely that can't be right?
    Has anyone actually gone on a BMAT learning course? If so, was it any good?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    apparently it only requires GSCE knowledge, and thats sort of true, but i found it involved a lot of thinking and analytical skills that you only really get good at after GCSE. although i am a bit critical of it, since i think people who go to school where they are taught science in more depth at GCSE have an advantage. it is certainly not easy in my opinion, it is supposed to be challenging so that is gives a wide range of results that they can compare students with more than A levels.

i think a certain amount of practice is good. forr mine, i managed to find 'SAT' papers on the net from america, which were very similar, but involved more advanced knowledge, so that the BMAT seemed a lot nicer after those. im not that impressed by the website. they do seem to profess how good they are a little to much, when they must be a very new company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fi x)
    If the BMAT only requires GCSE knowledge, does that mean that technically a GCSE student could pass (or stand a good chance of passing) the BMAT tests? Surely that can't be right?
    Has anyone actually gone on a BMAT learning course? If so, was it any good?
    xx
    Well, I took the Cambridge MVAT, which was a BMAT predecessor, but I imagine it's much the same. It doesn't require any syllabus specific knowledge beyond GCSE, because not everybody is doing all three sciences, so asking A-Level questions would be unfair (e.g. I didn't do Physics, so wouldn't have been able to answer any questions on A-Level phyics). What it did do, however, as Suzy has said, is stretch your thinking based on that knowledge and how to apply it, which not every GCSE student could do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2004
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.