Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am planning to get Finance Bachelor qualification in England. I already have Master degree of Law, received in Lithuania. I have read that usually students can get loan for the first degree. So I have no chance to get financial support in my case or I just have really little chances? Two universities have already offered me places.

One more question. If I decide to apply for postgraduate courses, the rules of "first degree" are the same?

Thank yoU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalalex89)
    Hi! I am planning to get Finance Bachelor qualification in England. I already have Master degree of Law, received in Lithuania. I have read that usually students can get loan for the first degree. So I have no chance to get financial support in my case or I just have really little chances? Two universities have already offered me places.

One more question. If I decide to apply for postgraduate courses, the rules of "first degree" are the same?

Thank yoU!
    Unfortunately you are correct. You cannot get funding for any qualification which is the same or lower than one you already have. You therefore could not get Student Finance for either an undergraduate or Masters degree, as you already have a Masters.

ReputationRep:
    It gets a bit confusing I think. On the gov.co.uk it has 2 links. The first one is https://www.prospects.ac.uk that has as requirements to ''have lived in England for at least three years''. On the gov page there is also another link for your website that it just says ''normally live in England''. My question is, people like me that live in England less that 3 years, are we eligible to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nagiasma)
    It gets a bit confusing I think. On the gov.co.uk it has 2 links. The first one is https://www.prospects.ac.uk that has as requirements to ''have lived in England for at least three years''. On the gov page there is also another link for your website that it just says ''normally live in England''. My question is, people like me that live in England less that 3 years, are we eligible to apply?
    If you don't have existing university qualifications, the basic qualification for full Student Finance assessment (Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan) is that you must have lived in the UK for three full years before the start date of your course. This applies to everyone of any nationality, unless they belong to groups which have constraints on their UK residency, such as refugees, asylum seekers etc.

If you have lived in the EU (but not the UK) for three full years before your courses starts, then you can only get the Tuition Fee Loan.

If you have lived somewhere outside the UK or EU, you will not be entitled to any Student Finance.

The rule about previous uni qualifications, overrides the residency rules. Even UK residents cannot get Student Finance for a course which is equivalent to, or lower than, one they already hold - unless their intended new course is an exemption such as NHS-funded courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you don't have existing university qualifications, the basic qualification for full Student Finance assessment (Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan) is that you must have lived in the UK for three full years before the start date of your course. This applies to everyone of any nationality, unless they belong to groups which have constraints on their UK residency, such as refugees, asylum seekers etc.

If you have lived in the EU (but not the UK) for three full years before your courses starts, then you can only get the Tuition Fee Loan.

If you have lived somewhere outside the UK or EU, you will not be entitled to any Student Finance.

The rule about previous uni qualifications, overrides the residency rules. Even UK residents cannot get Student Finance for a course which is equivalent to, or lower than, one they already hold - unless their intended new course is an exemption such as NHS-funded courses.

So in my case since I have a bachelors degree from a uni in Greece and I have lived in the EU more than 3 years, and currently live in the UK I qualify for the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nagiasma)
    So in my case since I have a bachelors degree from a uni in Greece and I have lived in the EU more than 3 years, and currently live in the UK I qualify for the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan?
    No. As you already have an undergraduate degree, you would not get any funding for another one.

However, you will be eligible to apply for the maximum £10,000 postgraduate loan for a taught or research Masters degree. These are due to be introduced for courses starting from this September.

ReputationRep:
    No. As you already have an undergraduate degree, you would not get any funding for another one.

However, you will be eligible to apply for the maximum £10,000 postgraduate loan for a taught or research Masters degree. These are due to be introduced for courses starting from this September.
    is this confirmed? so it will essentially cover any masters 1 year course/phd funding fees?
    can you post a link to your source justifying that i will be introduced in September 2016?

iv seen them constantly say it will be introduced yet it never is.
    seeing is believing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    is this confirmed? so it will essentially cover any masters 1 year course/phd funding fees?
    can you post a link to your source justifying that i will be introduced in September 2016?

iv seen them constantly say it will be introduced yet it never is.
    seeing is believing.
    Yeah, I hear that. A lot of people are hoping that the postgrad loan is formalised when the undergrad Student Finance applications open towards the end of this month.

At the moment, we still only have government plans and promises - nothing concrete. Given that we're only seven months from the start of most Masters courses and many students will already have applied for them, it's being cut pretty fine.

The planned loan will only cover Masters courses. The government are saying there will be a different loan scheme for PhDs at some unspecified point in the future, but there's no detail at all about those.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hear that. A lot of people are hoping that the postgrad loan is formalised when the undergrad Student Finance applications open towards the end of this month.

At the moment, we still only have government plans and promises - nothing concrete. Given that we're only seven months from the start of most Masters courses and many students will already have applied for them, it's being cut pretty fine.

The planned loan will only cover Masters courses. The government are saying there will be a different loan scheme for PhDs at some unspecified point in the future, but there's no detail at all about those.
    Ah ok. When will student finance england applications open up? I heard it would be around March ish? Is there a confirmed date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Ah ok. When will student finance england applications open up? I heard it would be around March ish? Is there a confirmed date?
    The official Uni of Lincoln blog gave 29th Feb as the proposed opening date for SFE applications. No info direct from SFE themselves though and I've seen nothing more specific than "late February" elsewhere. There must be some kind of delaying factor - it was 31st Jan last year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your answer.If the NARIC will assess my Lithuanian Master degree as comparable to English Bachelor degree, will I have chances to get a loan for the English Master degree? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a question about funding eligibility...i am currently study a HNC course and it is a 1 year course so if i want to go onto university to do a BA hons which is 3 years course will i get funds for the whole course?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalalex89)
    Thank you for your answer.If the NARIC will assess my Lithuanian Master degree as comparable to English Bachelor degree, will I have chances to get a loan for the English Master degree? Thank you
    *If* NARIC conclude that, then possibly. Student Finance may not be bound by NARIC's decision and you may have to argue your case again, direct with SF. You'd be best off contacting SF direct and asking whether they accept NARIC judgements without question, or whether they will apply their own equivalency rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surachhya)
    Hi I have a question about funding eligibility...i am currently study a HNC course and it is a 1 year course so if i want to go onto university to do a BA hons which is 3 years course will i get funds for the whole course?

Thank you.
    Worth checking direct with Student Finance, but on the face if it, no. An HNC is Level 4, the equivalent of the first year of a degree. If you started from scratch, you would have to fund your first year yourself, with SF kicking in for your second year on.

ReputationRep:
    Worth checking direct with Student Finance, but on the face if it, no. An HNC is Level 4, the equivalent of the first year of a degree. If you started from scratch, you would have to fund your first year yourself, with SF kicking in for your second year on.

Ok thank you 😊....i called SF and they said i will be able to get the fund for full 3 years...in case if anyone has the same query 😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.