Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone explain this mind twisting puzzle to me PLEASE!! I AM BEGGING YOU! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It is the Bat and Ball problem, and it starts at 2.05!

Honestly, I must be really silly, because I can't seem to wrap my head around this. I understand the total of the bat needs to be more that $1.00, BUT WHY() is it $1.05? it could be $1.06? or $1.07? that is also more than $1.00, am I missing something? People in the comments keep saying "oh I get it now" and it's bothering me.

I can't stop thinking about this, I've been thinking about it for the past few hours... and I really should stop because I have a huge essay I should be writing right about now...:banghead:

I even called a friend and she told me to get a life So lovely people, help please!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Simultaneous equations. Let x represent the price of the bat and y represent the price of the ball.

Then we have

x+y = 1.1
    x = y+1

ReputationRep:
    TheonlyMrsHolmes

If it was $1.06, then that means the ball would only be $0.04, and that makes the bat $1.02 more expensive than the ball. Similarly with $1.07, the ball would be $0.03, and that makes the bat $1.04 more expensive.

You only have $1.10 to split between them, if that makes sense?

EDIT: the bat must be EXACTLY $1 more expensive than the ball, no more, no less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)

Honestly, I must be really silly, because I can't seem to wrap my head around this. I understand the total of the bat needs to be more that $1.00, BUT WHY() is it $1.05? it could be $1.06? or $1.07? that is also more than $1.00, am I missing something? People in the comments keep saying "oh I get it now" and it's bothering me.

I can't stop thinking about this, I've been thinking about it for the past few hours... and I really should stop because I have a huge essay I should be writing right about now...:banghead:

I even called a friend and she told me to get a life So lovely people, help please!
    this is basic algebra that 11 year olds can do.

1.10 = x + (x + 1), ergo subtract 1 from both sides and you get 2x = 0.10, so x = 0.05. So bat = 1.05

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

If asking the audience doesn't work, you still have a 50:50 left.

If it's anything other than $1.05 then it doesn't add up to $1.10 and/or satisfy the other condition.

ReputationRep:
    R.I.P OP.

Incapable of understanding year 6 algebra.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

The bat doesn't cost 1 dollar, it costs one dollar MORE so you need to figure out how much the ball must be to be able to add one dollar plus the price of the ball to add up to 1 dollar and ten cents therefore the ball must cost 5 cents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Simultaneous equations. Let x represent the price of the bat and y represent the price of the ball.

Then we have

x+y = 1.1
    x = y+1
    Thanks it's been awhile... but I understand.

So Y=0.05 and 0.05 + 1 +0.05 = 1.10, Y+1=1.05, which leaves X= 1.05 which is the price of the bat.

Do correct me if I've done it all wrong :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronda Rousey)
    this is basic algebra that 11 year olds can do.

1.10 = x + (x + 1), ergo subtract 1 from both sides and you get 2x = 0.10, so x = 0.05. So bat = 1.05

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    R.I.P OP.

Incapable of understanding year 6 algebra.
    What is the point of coming on here and being an A-hole? Look at the comments, a lot of people attempt this puzzle making a general claim, more than or less than get confused. I wanted to see why it was exact, why don't you go do something else with your time rather than being an idiot. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    If asking the audience doesn't work, you still have a 50:50 left.

If it's anything other than $1.05 then it doesn't add up to $1.10 and/or satisfy the other condition.
    I just saw 2 conditions

1. The total price for bat + ball is $1.10.
    2. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball

To satisfy condition two, I felt like a lot of people in the comments were "playing with numbers", rather than having a solid explanation as to why it was $1.05. And that is why I asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    ....what is the point?

Ugh I absolutely HATE people like you! (and the other 2 on the thread)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks it's been awhile... but I understand.

So Y=0.05 and 0.05 + 1 +0.05 = 1.10, Y+1=1.05, which leaves X= 1.05 which is the price of the bat.

Do correct me if I've done it all wrong :/
    Ideally the way you should have done it is:

substitute x = y + 1 into the first equation, then:

y + 1 + y = 1.1
    gives: 2y + 1 = 1.1
    2y = 0.1
    y = 0.05 (price of ball)

subsitute y = 0.05 into x = y + 1 leaves x = 1.05

ReputationRep:
    TheonlyMrsHolmes

This video ****ed with mind in more than one way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)

y + 1 + y = 1.1
    2y = 0.1
    y = 0.05 (price of ball)

Waah! My mamu is so intelligent! Sadqay jaon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)

y + 1 + y = 1.1
    2y = 0.1
    y = 0.05 (price of ball)

You're right, I'm sorry as I said before it's been awhile...and tbh I was rushing it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have 4000 words due in tomorrow, please help me mataji! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadez)
    TheonlyMrsHolmes

This video ****ed with mind in more than one way
    Did you feel your brain poo in the end? I did

ReputationRep:
    You're right, I'm sorry as I said before it's been awhile...and tbh I was rushing it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have 4000 words due in tomorrow, please help me mataji! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Lol why are you apologising to me? I was just showing you the proper way to do it.

Shall I do what your real mataji would do:
    "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!"
    :laugh:

(Original post by BrokenLife)
    Waah! My mamu is so intelligent! Sadqay jaon!
    Beshaq, woh toh hum hain
    Aisa hi koi maths ka grad nahi banta!
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of coming on here and being an A-hole? Look at the comments, a lot of people attempt this puzzle making a general claim, more than or less than get confused. I wanted to see why it was exact, why don't you go do something else with your time rather than being an idiot. Thanks
    zzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    zzz
    Lol is someone holding a little grudge? aw how cayootttttttt :loveduck:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.