TSAntidote
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
With making my own notes, what's the best advice you can give? I have flash cards and highlighters but how do i absorb the information? I have to read over the same passage 3/4 times for it to stick in my head.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TSAntidote)
With making my own notes, what's the best advice you can give? I have flash cards and highlighters but how do i absorb the information? I have to read over the same passage 3/4 times for it to stick in my head.
Try summarising your notes even further, like you could have a limit of words and then eventually a few words as a prompt to help remind you what the information was. You could try writing what you're trying to learn repeatedly, checking it against your original notes

Other methods:
- mindmaps
- teaching others
- recording yourself and listening back to it
- repeating things aloud
- revising with classmates
- drawing diagrams
- making a song of it
- a silly story to help it stick
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Try and get all the key facts on one page. Keep it simple. Get to the point where your notes are perhaps like this:

SOCIOLOGIST NAME
a sentence or keyword(s) about what they stand for

ANOTHER SOCIOLOGISTS NAME
Sentence or keyword or whatever.

Seriously, keep it short and to the point. The magic will happen in you being able to use what you remember in the exam, both for one mark questions and longer ones providing you can communicate your point well.

Just be sure to know what it is you need to memorise in the context of the syllabus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (157)
14.56%
I'm not sure (46)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (320)
29.68%
I have already dropped out (30)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (525)
48.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed