Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Sociology Effective Study Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With making my own notes, what's the best advice you can give? I have flash cards and highlighters but how do i absorb the information? I have to read over the same passage 3/4 times for it to stick in my head.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by TSAntidote)
    With making my own notes, what's the best advice you can give? I have flash cards and highlighters but how do i absorb the information? I have to read over the same passage 3/4 times for it to stick in my head.
    Try summarising your notes even further, like you could have a limit of words and then eventually a few words as a prompt to help remind you what the information was. You could try writing what you're trying to learn repeatedly, checking it against your original notes

Other methods:
    - mindmaps
    - teaching others
    - recording yourself and listening back to it
    - repeating things aloud
    - revising with classmates
    - drawing diagrams
    - making a song of it
    - a silly story to help it stick

ReputationRep:
    Try and get all the key facts on one page. Keep it simple. Get to the point where your notes are perhaps like this:

SOCIOLOGIST NAME
    a sentence or keyword(s) about what they stand for

ANOTHER SOCIOLOGISTS NAME
    Sentence or keyword or whatever.

Seriously, keep it short and to the point. The magic will happen in you being able to use what you remember in the exam, both for one mark questions and longer ones providing you can communicate your point well.

Just be sure to know what it is you need to memorise in the context of the syllabus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.